TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
kendq

restoring a series 2 to sata

I need to replace my IDE series 2 drive (very noisey) and I just got a 250g sata drive and adapter, I have replaced my drive once before (a long while ago) and still have the backup, my issue is using mfs tools it is set up for ide as is my computer. how can I get the image to the sata drive would that be my best route? my current drive is still working if there were a way to copy it or even just start fresh
Thanks

Last edited by kendq : 01-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
kendq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
ggieseke

Check out the Upgrade forum. Every answer you need is there (and then some).

It doesn't matter how you connect the drive to your computer when you restore your backup as long as it works. The only thing that matters is if your SATA adapter plays nice with the TiVo.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendq View Post
I need to replace my IDE series 2 drive (very noisey) and I just got a 250g sata drive and adapter, I have replaced my drive once before (a long while ago) and still have the backup, my issue is using mfs tools it is set up for ide as is my computer. how can I get the image to the sata drive would that be my best route? my current drive is still working if there were a way to copy it or even just start fresh
Thanks
If the drive currently in the TiVo is noisy but still working, then copying it to the new SATA drive is probably the best way to go.

That way you save all your settings, season passes, thumb ratings, and recorded shows.

If your computer is running Windows XP or newer, you can install WinMFS and do the copying with it, and I think even if when you replaced the drive before you expanded and now have all 3 allowable MFS partition pairs, WinMFS can enlarge the MFS Media partition on the end to use all of the extra space on the new SATA drive.

The PC probably has 2 PATA/IDE headers, which means a total of 4 devices allowable, so you can leave your Windows drive hooked up, as well as your cd or dvd deck, and still be able to accomodate the TiVo drive and its intended replacement.

If you can put one of the drives on the primary IDE cable along with the Windows drive, and the other drive on the secondary cable along with the optical drive, the copy should go a lot faster than if both the TiVo drive and the new drive are on the same cable.

The way to use the SATA drive in the PC is of course the same as how you're going to use it on the IDE cable of the TiVo, with the adapter.

But if your PC has a GigaByte brand motherboard, say so first, so I can tell you the precautions you must take to keep it from screwing up the drives.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yeah, I use WinMFS and cheap USB to SATA adapter cables for all my Tivo imaging. That way I don't have to crack open a desktop box to hook up the drive(s). I did one image using the Linux tools, the adapter cable, and my laptop but that's the extent of my experience with that SW.