TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Snake Plissken

I'm still confused about TIVO Stream set-up

I'm still very confused. We bought the Stream and the Moca adapter from TIVO. Each has instructions but they don't show both together. I made a crude drawing of my network below.

I have cable internet coming into my office/spare room. It goes into my cable modem and then to my wireless adapter. That broadcasts a signal to all my devices (laptops, iPads, and my TIVO wireless-N adapters).

In my living room I have cable TV coming in from the wall and into the TIVO box. The box has a dual cable card in it. Wireless N adapter is hooked up to the TIVO.

As I see it I would need to install a Moca adapter in my office/spare room directly connected to the modem and use the filter.

I assume I also need a Moca adapter installed in my living room hooked up to the TIVO itself.

Assuming those are correct....where does the Stream hook up? In my office or the living room? If it's the office does that mean both the Moca adapter and the Stream need to connect to the back of my wireless router?

I'm so confused I'm about ready to return all my Stream equipment.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
As I see it I would need to install a Moca adapter in my office/spare room directly connected to the modem and use the filter.
Correct. The coax from the wall would connect to the MoCA adapter, and then to your cable modem. Additionally, the MoCA adapter would be connected via ethernet to your wireless router.

Quote:
I assume I also need a Moca adapter installed in my living room hooked up to the TIVO itself.
Correct. Unless you have an XL4, which has MoCA built in.

Quote:
Assuming those are correct....where does the Stream hook up? In my office or the living room? If it's the office does that mean both the Moca adapter and the Stream need to connect to the back of my wireless router?
The Stream has MoCA built in as well, so it doesn't matter where on the network it is. If you go the MoCA route you would just need a coax connection (in addition to the MoCA adapter connected to your router). Alternatively, you could put it next to your router and just connect it via ethernet without a coax connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Snake Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Correct. The coax from the wall would connect to the MoCA adapter, and then to your cable modem. Additionally, the MoCA adapter would be connected via ethernet to your wireless router.

Correct. Unless you have an XL4, which has MoCA built in.

The Stream has MoCA built in as well, so it doesn't matter where on the network it is. If you go the MoCA route you would just need a coax connection (in addition to the MoCA adapter connected to your router). Alternatively, you could put it next to your router and just connect it via ethernet without a coax connection.
So if the Stream has Moca built in why do I need a Moca adapter in my office?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
So if the Stream has Moca built in why do I need a Moca adapter in my office?
Because you need a MoCA "bridge" to connect your MoCA/coax network to the rest of your home network (ethernet/wireless).

|
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Snake Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Because you need a MoCA "bridge" to connect your MoCA/coax network to the rest of your home network (ethernet/wireless).
So in my drawing it the Stream would go in my office, next to my Moca adapter, and connect using a CAT 5 cable?

I'm still wondering why I can't hook up the Stream using my wireless-N and not use Moca adapters.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
So in my drawing it the Stream would go in my office, next to my Moca adapter, and connect using a CAT 5 cable?

I'm still wondering why I can't hook up the Stream using my wireless-N and not use Moca adapters.
Because of this:

Quote:
What are the technical requirements for TiVo Stream?

In order to use TiVo Stream you must:
  • Own a Premiere series DVR running software version 20.2.1 or later.
  • Both the TiVo Stream and the DVR you wish to use with it must be connected to either an Ethernet or MoCA router.

NOTE: The TiVo Stream does NOT support the following network types: wireless, Ethernet over Power, dial-up (phone), crossover network, or a business network.

• Wireless router for connecting to your mobile devices
  • A supported mobile device. (Refer to TiVo.com/stream for currently supported devices.)

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can use wireless N but it's not supported so if you have trouble TiVo is just going to blame the network. The Stream is a very basic device. It can technically be anywhere on your network and as long as the TiVo and the iPad can communicate with it then it will work. However the connections between all those devices need to be solid enough to sustain all the streaming. (i.e. streaming from TiVo to Stream and from Stream to iPad)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Snake Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You can use wireless N but it's not supported so if you have trouble TiVo is just going to blame the network. The Stream is a very basic device. It can technically be anywhere on your network and as long as the TiVo and the iPad can communicate with it then it will work. However the connections between all those devices need to be solid enough to sustain all the streaming. (i.e. streaming from TiVo to Stream and from Stream to iPad)

Dan
But it needs to connect using CAT 5 to the router...correct?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
BigJimOutlaw

Windracer is mistaken. There is no moca support built into the Stream. It simply has an ethernet port.

To keep things simple:

- The Stream connects to your router just as any other wired computer or device on your network would. Preferably ethernet.

- The moca adapter connects as the picture indicates to your router/modem as well. But if your Tivo is not a 4-tuner box, you'll need another moca adapter for behind the Tivo as well.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 01-06-2013 at 01:15 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Windracer is mistaken. There is no moca support built into the Stream. It simply has an ethernet port.
Oops. Guess I was confused ... that's what I get for trying to help out with a device I don't own. Sorry!

|
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
But it needs to connect using CAT 5 to the router...correct?
It doesn't "have" to be connected via Cat5. Like I said it's a network device and is transparent to the actual connection method it's using. However if the network connection between the TiVo, the Stream and the wifi router/access point is not fast enough then you will get stuttering video, dropped connections, etc...

When I first got mine I had it setup using a powerline network. Even though that quote above said it wouldn't work it worked just fine. However if I was streaming something to my iPad and to a TiVo in another room it was too slow and one of the two streams would stutter or drop out. I upgraded to MoCa to fix that problem. But if I were willing to live with the limitations it still would have been usable.

Edit: The Stream itself only has an Ethernet connection, so in that sense it does have to be connected via Cat5. However there is nothing that would prevent you from connecting it to wifi bridge, or any other networking bridge. It's all just TCP/IP.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote