TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
ucala

transfer recordings

I just bought a new Tivo Premiere XL4 to replace my old TiVo HD XL.
I have a bunch of recordings on my old machine that I would like to copy or transfer to the new one.
Apparently my cable provider (Time Warner) copy protects recordings.
How can I do it?

Thanks.
ucala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucala View Post
I have a bunch of recordings on my old machine that I would like to copy or transfer to the new one.
How can I do it?

Thanks.
You can't. Sorry. This was a hot issue a few years ago and the consensus at the time was almost no one has more than one TiVo so it isn't an issue. I'm sorry for you, perhaps you can complain to Time Warner?
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You cannot transfer protected shows, but you can still watch them on that Tivo, even though it may be unsubscribed.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

For what it's worth, you can stream copy protected shows from one Premiere to another. Doesn't help with your S3HD.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
You can't. Sorry. This was a hot issue a few years ago and the consensus at the time was almost no one has more than one TiVo so it isn't an issue. I'm sorry for you, perhaps you can complain to Time Warner?
Not true. The THD can be modified to allow transfers. The Premiere cannot.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
How can I do it?
You have to be wiling and able to modify the THD.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can't modify the TiVo and then transfer recordings that were made before it was modified. If you recorded protected shows before the modification, they will always be protected.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You can't modify the TiVo and then transfer recordings that were made before it was modified. If you recorded protected shows before the modification, they will always be protected.
This is incorrect. I transferred nearly 80 copy protected files off one of my TiVos. One of them failed about 3/4 the way through no matter what I tried, but the others transferred just fine. The CCI byte can be removed after recording. Encryption cannot, but the standard TTG mechanism deals properly with the encryption.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I couldn't get it to work on anything recorded from HBO before the mod.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I couldn't get it to work on anything recorded from HBO before the mod.
If you still have some recordings lying around you want to transfer, search for the RemoveCpiAll.tcl script and the ignoredrm and noencryption patches over on the "other" forum.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks for the tip, but I have already either recorded newer airings or bought the DVD or Blu-Ray of the questionable recordings.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
ucala

transfer protected files

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If you still have some recordings lying around you want to transfer, search for the RemoveCpiAll.tcl script and the ignoredrm and noencryption patches over on the "other" forum.
Please tell me what to do to transfer protected files from my old tivo HD THX to the new premiere XL4.
Thanks.
ucala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Please tell me what to do to transfer protected files from my old tivo HD THX to the new premiere XL4.
Thanks.
It involves sending your TiVo off to someone who will charge you to modify the components on the mainboard. It's not really an option for most people and in your case a complete waste of money when you can just leave the thing plugged in near your new one to use when you want to watch the other recorded shows.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
It involves sending your TiVo off to someone who will charge you to modify the components on the mainboard.
Juat one component, and it is replaced, not really modified. Anyone good with a soldering iron can do the work.

Quote:
It's not really an option for most people and in your case a complete waste of money when you can just leave the thing plugged in near your new one to use when you want to watch the other recorded shows.
That's not true. The number of important features enabled by modification is huge, and of great value to many people. Whether or not these features, in addition to the ability to transfer copy protected shows are of value to the OP is a decision for him. From eliminating the pause ads (yay!) to on-screen caller ID (yuck!), to the vast array of features enabled by TiVoWebPlus, there is a great deal of consideration.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Thanks.
You need to mosey over to the "other" TiVo hobbyist website. Look for my the link in my signature there. Also look up a thread by Omikron in the for sale forum there.

Note that forum does not encourage hand-holding. If you are serious about this, you will need to do the research.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
timckelley
TCFer

Question about copying copy protected shows:

I assumed that I could at least burn such shows from my wife's TiVo Premier to DVD. I hooked up the red/white/yellow cables to her DVD burner (so it'll just be SD quality, but she's okay with that). When I try to burn, I get a message on the DVD player/burner that I cannot record copy protected shows.

Do you think this is being inhibited by the TiVo or by the Samsung DVD burner I've got? If the former, I don't know how TiVo knows I'm trying to burn a DVD. I'd think for all the TiVo knows, I'm simply playing the movie, but instead of running the output cables to a TV, I happen to have them running to the input ports of the DVD burner. (How would TiVo know?)

Or maybe this is the DVD burner itself that's detected the signal is copy protected, and so will refuse to record it. Are all the DVD burners like this?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My guess? The Tivo is putting (or passing through) the Macrovision flag on the analog output that the DVD recorder detects.

You might try a Macrovision filter between the Tivo and the DVD recorder.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1318&bih=714

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The TiVo outputs macrovision-encoded video on the composite connection. The DVD recorder honors the Macrovision and prevents recording. Any consumer DVD recorder will do this. Do as Steve suggested above and add a simple filter between the two units to remove the Macrovision from the composite video signal.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #19
timckelley
TCFer

Thanks for this information. I just googled around looking to see where I find this device, the ones I found look like they expect a coax output and input. Out of curiosity, do you know if they make them with RCA composite outputs and inputs? I suppose I can make do with the coax version, but I'm guessing video quality might not be as good.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Arcady
Stargate Fan

A quick Google search brought me to this link: http://www.world-import.com/macrovisionkiller.htm

Kind of expensive if you ask me. I remember paying like $25 for mine.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
timckelley
TCFer

I ran into something strange. Our DVD burner will go ahead and burn some of my wife's copy protected shows, while it balks on others with the copy protection error message. I wonder why that is.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
Arcady
Stargate Fan

A show may have a transfer restriction and not have macrovision. It depends on the channel, carrier and encoding of the program.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
mattack

Yeah, when I record some shows to my XS32's hard drive, some are copy once.. those I can still record..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote