TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
cwnelson

Bitten by the CI Byte

Hi, this is a long shot but I moved to a place that sets the CCI byte to max and therefore I cannot transfer shows to PC except over the air. I just thought of this but don't know if it's kosher:

Are there folks around who do not have these restrictions who record and transfer and then figure out a way to send the file (like a zipped file or something)? I know you can't record something and then sell it, but what about sending it? I am not aware of anything against this but as I said this is something I just thought about.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
cwnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Selling it or giving it away doesn't make any difference; distributing recorded broadcast or cable television is generally a copyright violation unless explicitly permitted by the IP rights holders. It doesn't take much effort to find ways to obtain illegal downloads of television programs but I'm fairly certain that discussion of that would be prohibited by the rules of these forums.

There are lots of legal ways to stream and download television as well, though they'll generally cost something.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnelson View Post
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
As mikeyts said, distribution copyrighted content in any form is strictly illegal, and discussing it in any way is against the rules of the forum.

Using TiVo To Go to transfer the content to an external PC, however, is not. If you have an S3 class machine, then you can visit the "other" TiVo hobbyist' website and explore the possibility of modifying your TiVo. If you have a Premiere class machine, you are hosed.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
rahnbo

FYI and without knowing if you're trying HD or SD, it's probably of little consolation but with my provider the bit is set on all HD channels except local and most SD movie channels but not set on all other SD channels. If its something you want to transfer "legally" then perhaps you could check the SD channels and see if the bit is set there as well and if that's acceptable to you then you could transfer recorded SD shows with Tivo To go.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
rahnbo

Oh, and complain to your cable company and the FCC.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Besides the legality issue, it isn't really practical due to the size of the files. The video is already compressed to some extent so there wouldn't be much to gain from trying to zip it. HD files typically run about 5GB per hour. As was pointed out, many channels offer free online streaming after episodes have run.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have a S3 TiVo and are tech savvy enough you can hack the box to turn off the CCI byte conformance. If you have a Premiere then you're SOL as it's locked down and can not be hacked.

There are some other options though. I've used an analog capture device in my PC to capture shows for DVDs. It's a little slow, since it's real time, but it works. (exploiting the analog hole) Mine is an SD device, but they make cards that can capture HD from component cables.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
rahnbo

I rarely transfer Tivo to PC its mostly MRV and PC to Tivo but wouldn't one of these work too? http://amzn.com/B006T8QCYA I would guess just as slowly. Now that I look at the HDMI capture devices I think I want one but for video games.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
shwru980r

Two premieres would allow you to stream shows from one premiere to the other.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I rarely transfer Tivo to PC its mostly MRV and PC to Tivo but wouldn't one of these work too? http://amzn.com/B006T8QCYA I would guess just as slowly. Now that I look at the HDMI capture devices I think I want one but for video games.
No those devices don't support HDCP and anything protected with the CCI byte would use HDCP for protecting the video from TiVo to TV. The only way to do it would be to exploit the analog hole using something like this instead...

http://amzn.com/B004OVE2B4

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
rahnbo

Cool Dan. Hope it helps the OP.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
cwnelson

Thanks everybody. I did not realize that distribution was illegal with or without compensation. I appreciate your responses. Yes, I have a Premiere and so therefore I have to keep everything there that I may want to watch that's on cable.

Also my cable company is so awesome that even the "SD" channels are 0x02 which really angers me. So even though there are 3 versions of standard cable channels ("Analog," Digital Standard and Digital HD), they are all protected fully. What's even worse is that when I have complained about it, at least twice they have told me that this is a network issue and they claim not to have anything to do with the setting. I quickly tell them that I know that they are either misinformed or lying, and they never have anything to say about that. I get lied to a lot by them but they are the only cable option here. I can only hope that another option appears, but it is not likely since i live in such a remote area.

What I do have is an old series 2 that I have reactivated (I told TiVo my problem and they graciously offered to reactivate the box for life for $100). The problem is that it's so old that even in Best Quality the picture on the recording (not really the picture when watching live though) is a bit grainy and not close to the SD picture on my Premiere. Is there a way to improve the picture on these? I went back and looked at some stuff I recorded years ago and the picture is way better on those old shows. I just wouldn't know about fixing that.

I may just try to get an old S3 and see what I can do with that. My thing is that I don't mind paying for TV shows and stuff really, but I mostly save sporting events which do not usually get put on disc.

Thanks for the suggestion about the device, Dan. Do you think the external version works just as well? I have been looking at those. But they will not record protected channels in HD, right?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Hi, this is a long shot but I moved to a place that sets the CCI byte to max and therefore I cannot transfer shows to PC except over the air...
You're a TWC victim, aren't you?

Quote:
... Yes, I have a Premiere and so therefore I have to keep everything there that I may want to watch that's on cable.

Also my cable company is so awesome that even the "SD" channels are 0x02 which really angers me. So even though there are 3 versions of standard cable channels ("Analog," Digital Standard and Digital HD), they are all protected fully. What's even worse is that when I have complained about it, at least twice they have told me that this is a network issue and they claim not to have anything to do with the setting. I quickly tell them that I know that they are either misinformed or lying, and they never have anything to say about that. I get lied to a lot by them but they are the only cable option here. I can only hope that another option appears, but it is not likely since i live in such a remote area.

What I do have is an old series 2 that I have reactivated (I told TiVo my problem and they graciously offered to reactivate the box for life for $100). The problem is that it's so old that even in Best Quality the picture on the recording (not really the picture when watching live though) is a bit grainy and not close to the SD picture on my Premiere. Is there a way to improve the picture on these? I went back and looked at some stuff I recorded years ago and the picture is way better on those old shows. I just wouldn't know about fixing that.

I may just try to get an old S3 and see what I can do with that. My thing is that I don't mind paying for TV shows and stuff really, but I mostly save sporting events which do not usually get put on disc.

Thanks for the suggestion about the device, Dan. Do you think the external version works just as well? I have been looking at those. But they will not record protected channels in HD, right?

Thanks again everyone.
They can't set the CCI bit on the analog NTSC SD channels, because NTSC signals don't make any provision for that, so your Premiere isn't recording them, it's recording SD digital channels.

Legally, they aren't supposed to be able to set the bit on any channels that are actually local broadcast channels.

If they are actually doing that, sic the Federal Communications Commission on them.

Of course you'll probably have to contact the engineering departments of the local broadcasters to make sure that the TV station isn't doing it, although, again, when TWC receives the broadcast and converts it to analog for the analog tier, there's no way they can add a CCI byte to the NTSC signal.

An S3 will have the same problems as an S4.

I don't know if you can force either to tune the analog channels instead of their SD digital counterparts if you have a cable card installed.

Maybe you can do setup without the cable card installed first, and then add it, but I've never messed with them.

I get screwed by TWC just on analog enough as it is without giving them extra opportunities.

The local people working for them are usually pretty nice, but they don't make policy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
ggieseke

Quote:
How your series 2 is connected can make a big difference. Using s-video instead of composite or coax will give you the best picture quality. The connection from the cable box to the TiVo is probably the most important one because once it's recorded you can MRV it to your other TiVo for playback if your TV doesn't have an s-video input.

My S2s feed into a Toshiba DVD recorder which does have s-video. It upscales them nicely to 1080p and hooks up to my TV with HDMI. That picture is WAY better than composite straight to the TV.

For shows I really care about I record in Best quality, transfer them to my Media Center PC, and convert to dvr-ms or wtv files with VideoReDo. It's still nowhere near HD, but it's useable.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
As mikeyts said, distributi[ng] copyrighted content in any form is strictly illegal, and discussing it in any way is against the rules of the forum.
Except it's discussed here in multiple posts every day.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Also my cable company is so awesome that even the "SD" channels are 0x02 which really angers me. So even though there are 3 versions of standard cable channels ("Analog," Digital Standard and Digital HD), they are all protected fully.
If you are referring to the cable versions of the broadcast channels (e.g. ABC, NBC, CBS), this is AN FCC VIOLATION, and you should complain to the FCC about it. They are NOT legally allowed to protect those channels.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
cwnelson

Sorry, no the broadcast channels are available, just no cable channels. But even the ones they call "analog" will not transfer. If I had never installed the CableCard I could transfer obviously but now I can't.

I will try s-video; I hadn't tried that. Thanks everybody.

Oh and yes, TWC is my provider and I'm dumping them as soon as I have another option that allows me to transfer even if I have to get another box.