TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

dont KUID your SPs

a few months ago i apparently hadnt been watching my space and things must have gotten deleted

i decided to mark all my SP KUID..big mistake, dont do it! i first began to notice issues when i went to pull with pytivo. it said the show wouldnt record and did i wish to clip it and some other error. but this was with 78% on the machine, plenty of space for a 1 hour show!

also i just noticed that as of last night , my TODO list was only 4 days out! i couldnt figure out why then figured out it's because KUID

so do NOT KUID your SP!! at least not all of them. i did go back and make all but the top 20 SP as deletable and my TODO list instantly populated thru next week

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Agreed. For episodic television I prefer to change the number of episodes to "all" instead or to 1/2 for shows that rapidly repeat (news).

I only use KUID to take a movie out of suggestions into the now playing list.

Increasing recording capacity is also high on the list to resolve this issue. Easy and cheap.

Last edited by jrtroo : 12-19-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: correction
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
ScottP461

I learned this long ago with my Series 2 machines! The TiVo anticipates needed space based on scheduled recordings, so it starts to complain when it sees potential issues with free space VERY early. If scheduled recordings can be deleted, no space conflicts! None of my SP's are set up as KUID, I mark the recordings afterwards.
ScottP461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't mark anything KUID and I've never lost a show. I just keep an eye on the free space indicator, or recently deleted number in SDUI, and if I'm dangerously low I either watch something or delete something manually. That way nothing ever gets deleted unexpectedly. Although with 2TB of space in my Elite I've never even gotten close to it being full.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
rainwater

TiVo should remedy this already! It has been years and people are still losing recordings because of this option. It should be removed from season passes and only be allowed on individual recordings.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
TiVo should remedy this already! It has been years and people are still losing recordings because of this option. It should be removed from season passes and only be allowed on individual recordings.
He isn't complaining about losing recordings.

His TiVo is only scheduling as far out as it has space since everything is marked to KUID. Once he deletes shows I would imagine the to do list goes out further.
This is how I would expect it to work. If instead the TiVo listed to do list items that it physically couldn't record due to lack of space, I would say it was a bug or broken.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

I thought rainwater way joking due to some of the nutty requests that come through from time to time.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Disagree. I have some SPs that record once a week, and won't overflow, and I would be annoyed if I couldn't set them KUID.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

The trick it to not set everything to KUID. People get paranoid about things getting deleted and set all their SPs to KUID without realizing that it effects the scheduling logic.

Dan
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The trick it to not set everything to KUID. People get paranoid about things getting deleted and set all their SPs to KUID without realizing that it effects the scheduling logic.

Dan
Of course. But I wouldn't want the OS to preclude me from setting an SP to KUID if I wanted to, just because other users couldn't grasp that logic.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo agrees and it's unlikely they will ever remove the option. Plus this problem doesn't even really come up much any more because the typical TiVo has so much HD space. Back in the old days of TiVos with 15-30GB drives it was a much more common problem.

Dan
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
WhiskeyTango

I don't use it and I have lost recordings because of it. I record Dexter and Weeds and am several seasons behind. I ended up losing 4 episodes of each from 3 seasons ago. I'll probably have to buy them from Amazon which kinda sucks because I was burning them to DVD in hopes of having the full series' on disc. From what I can tell, purchased episodes can't be burned.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
mattack

Yeah, this is really old news.. Though I'm more tempted to set KUID lately, since I may have lost some recordings. I'd rather have things ALREADY on my Tivo saved than have a new recording delete something (since I want to watch shows in order).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
beejay

I have all my SPs set to KUID. I have EVERYTHING I record set that way.

If I record it, I want to watch it. If I start getting tight on space, I adjust my schedule to watch more TV.

You have to understand KUID to do this. But I don't have any problems with this.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I have all my SPs set to KUID. I have EVERYTHING I record set that way.

If I record it, I want to watch it. If I start getting tight on space, I adjust my schedule to watch more TV.

You have to understand KUID to do this. But I don't have any problems with this.
It can work but you have to be very diligent. I don't think the average TiVo user can manage it. Personally, I hardly ever delete anything off my TiVo manually. I just let it manage it like the system is designed. My recordings last for several months, so I never have to worry about a recording getting deleted before I watch it. If I wanted to manage my DVR daily, I would just stick with my cable co dvr.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
newsposter
Poster of News

sunday is tivo management day it has to be but i wont bore you with my reasons since they are pretty specific and unique

i agree that unless you have few SP or else watch a lot of tv, that you cant kuid it all. i have over SP so that just wouldnt work

!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I have a second tivo, upgraded to a 2tb disk, that I archive shows to.

My tivo day is Sunday morning.

Manually move all items for shows to be watched or saved to tivo2
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
It can work but you have to be very diligent. I don't think the average TiVo user can manage it. Personally, I hardly ever delete anything off my TiVo manually. I just let it manage it like the system is designed. My recordings last for several months, so I never have to worry about a recording getting deleted before I watch it. If I wanted to manage my DVR daily, I would just stick with my cable co dvr.
+1. I delete things after I watch them, but that's it. If my TiVo gets so full it starts deleting stuff then obvious it's not that important.

Dan
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
several months? Wow, you must either not record much or have a huge drive.

I mean, I sometimes used to have recordings for YEARS, but that was KUID recordings.. (and yes, I HAVE kept season(s) of shows and then eventually watched them.) But it came back to bit me when my S3 and its drive died. That's partially why I'm now somewhat leaning towards having the off-Tivo larger drive (esp since we're now past the Tivo capacity for the Fry's drive du jour.. or at least close..)

If a drive dies OUT of a Tivo, at least it will be in the filesystem you expect, and you have an easier chance of recovering it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have a 2 TB drive and I'm constantly hovering in the "70% full" area. I have lots and lots of shows stockpiled up. (No suggestions taking space.) I'm good with this. I'm watching much less TV these days. And if the drive were to die, I'm cool with it. It's just TV.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
several months? Wow, you must either not record much or have a huge drive.

I mean, I sometimes used to have recordings for YEARS, but that was KUID recordings.. (and yes, I HAVE kept season(s) of shows and then eventually watched them.) But it came back to bit me when my S3 and its drive died. That's partially why I'm now somewhat leaning towards having the off-Tivo larger drive (esp since we're now past the Tivo capacity for the Fry's drive du jour.. or at least close..)
Yes, it helps if you have a large hard drive in the Tivo. I have a 2 TB drive and don't use KUID for anything.
I have yet to lose recordings due to lack of space. Also, I have several shows (that have long been cancelled) saved that can be sacrificed in the event that I need more space.

Like Fofer said, It's just TV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I don't use it and I have lost recordings because of it. I record Dexter and Weeds and am several seasons behind. I ended up losing 4 episodes of each from 3 seasons ago. I'll probably have to buy them from Amazon which kinda sucks because I was burning them to DVD in hopes of having the full series' on disc. From what I can tell, purchased episodes can't be burned.
I can confirm amazon purchases are copy protected.
I purchased a fringe episode off iTunes once and
Was able to transfer it later.
Dexter season 7 not on iTunes yet.
Check out season 6 individual & season price
to decide if you want to wait for iTunes.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
tomm1079

I only use KUID. When i watch it.i delete it.

never had issues. 2 TB drive in all my tivos
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I can confirm amazon purchases are copy protected.
I purchased a fringe episode off iTunes once and
Was able to transfer it later.
Dexter season 7 not on iTunes yet.
Check out season 6 individual & season price
to decide if you want to wait for iTunes.
Yes Amazon purchases have always been this way. (At least since I've been able to transfer content from my boxes.) But you are able to keep two copies on TiVos at a time. So if you need it on another TiVo you need to delete it from one and then go to Amazon and select the TiVo you want to download that copy to.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
I only use KUID. When i watch it.i delete it.

never had issues. 2 TB drive in all my tivos
I'll bet if you *didn't* use KUID, you'd still be fine and wouldn't lose a show, either.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes, it helps if you have a large hard drive in the Tivo. I have a 2 TB drive and don't use KUID for anything.
I have yet to lose recordings due to lack of space.....
How many SPs do you have? I have about 30 and never keep more than 5 shows (with the exception of only a couple where I keep at most 10). I also have a 2TB drive...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
How many SPs do you have? I have about 30 and never keep more than 5 shows (with the exception of only a couple where I keep at most 10). I also have a 2TB drive...
i'm only ota and i have more than 30, you must not watch much or pare down after each season.

or ur used to directvs crappy 50 limit

!