TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
macjeepster

Love TiVo; hate the peanut

At least three or four times a week I grab the remote to fast-forward, but I rewind instead, because I'm holding the remote upside-down.
The back and the front of the peanut are the same except for the little TiVo button.

You could say I'm stupid, and you may be right; but it's still a design flaw. Stupid people are supposed to be able to watch TV, and fast-forwarding should be a quick, reflexive operation (Imagine if handguns were designed that way).

My first TiVo was a Sony Series 1, which had a great remote. Since then, I've ha a DirecTivo, 2 Series 2s, and now I have 2 Premieres, all with the stupid peanut remote.

I use my iPad for most of the scheduling (love the app); I only use the peanut for pausing and FF through commercials.

You should be able to tell you're holding a remote correctly without looking at it closely.

Here's a thread where people were complaining back in 2007…
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=360217

- mj
macjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
smgeisler

When I pick up my remote I can instantly tell if I'm holding it upside-down. The lower end with the batteries weighs a lot more than the top. If I pick it up and the "top" is pulling down due to gravity, then I'm holding it wrong. When the correct end is at the top, gravity is causing the heavy bottom to stay comfortably in my hand. The difference is so great I never even think about it. As I pick it up, my brain makes the top/bottom decision automatically.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
innocentfreak

I have never had difficulty telling which way the remote is without looking at it. As mentioned the Premiere line has the weight at the bottom. Also the bottom is flat at the top of the remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Chris Gerhard

I have been using the peanut remote for over 12 years, I have held it upside down but I don't recall doing it in the last decade. I also think watching TV should be easy but changing the design so it will be impossible to point in the wrong direction probably means a design that won't be very easy to use. Nothing needs to be done with this remote design, it is easy enough to use without looking in my opinion. Just looking around at the remotes I own, all of them could be pointed backwards but with a minimum of effort, none ever are.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

bottom is much heavier than the top. I've never had a problem. Also I feel for the tivo button on top. easy peesy.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
HomeUser

The bottom end also has ridges.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I can tell if I am holding the remote right or wrong side up by feeling the buttons when I pick it up, the pause button is @ my thumb if its right side up. Also feels different if wrong side up.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
sneagle
Addicted Member

The peanut shape and simplicity of the remote is a major plus for me.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
magnus
Tivo User

This is a first for me to hear this one.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
timr_42

I pick my up upside down, but always feel for the tivo button at the top. I never notice any problem doing it that way.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

I've done the upside down thing when going too quickly. It really only happens for me with the slide, as it is more evenly balanced than a standard tivo remote. The ridges make it easy, as they are on all of the newer remotes, just not on the initial ones that came with THDs and S2s.

But, it is user error, not an error with the remote. Just like when I turn off the tv on accident.

Last edited by jrtroo : 12-31-2012 at 09:39 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I always preferred the Sony remote to the TiVo remote. But when I got my Premiere, I got used to the peanut. Of course, the current peanut is better than the original. they made some improvements to it.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

The TiVo peanut remote is, quite simply, a poorly designed remote (from a physical design standpoint). The biggest issue (to me) is the rounded bottom. You set it down; it rolls over. I MUCH prefer my Harmony One remote; the top has a flat bottom which stabilizes it when setting it down on the arm of a couch, a bed, or on anything that's not rigid.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I've never had a problem with my peanut remote rolling over.
Maybe I take more care than others in setting it down, I don't know.
Also, I can't remember the last time it was backwards when I picked it up. I pick the remote up the same way I set it down.
Must have been because someone else used it and didn't set it back down the 'right' way.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
macjeepster

I'm sorry, I should haver been clearer. I don't hold it upside down, but rather backwards, butt end in front, so when I push the FF button, I'm really pushing the rewind button. It only happens one every 20 times or so, just enough to be annoying.
Yes, the newer remotes have a few more clues; in the last decade or so, TiVo's made progress, but they can make more.
Count your blessings that you're smart; those of us in the stupid community need some help.

-mj
macjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...The biggest issue (to me) is the rounded bottom. You set it down; it rolls over...
The overall functionality and button layout , but hate that you can't push a button on it while it sits on the counter or couch arm without rolling
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
sneagle
Addicted Member

It just goes to show...
"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjeepster View Post
I'm sorry, I should haver been clearer. I don't hold it upside down, but rather backwards, butt end in front, so when I push the FF button, I'm really pushing the rewind button. It only happens one every 20 times or so, just enough to be annoying.
I think we all understood.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #19
Worf

Hrm.

I've never had issues with my Glo remote that came with my S3 - I think the flat top helps. The rounded buttom is nice as it curls into my hand very nicely. I suppose if I put it on the armrest of a chair I have an issue (though I've seen other flat-bottom remotes have the exact same issue). So my remotes sit on the table.

Though, if you're having problems with the peanut remote, how do you handle other remotes? They're often just rectangular and symmetrical - they look the same either orientation. I'm guessing the only thing is that they're often so poorly designed that you have to look at them to use them, so if you pick them up from the front instead of the butt, you'll know...

One nice solution is to just get a universal remote like a Harmony - bonus points with your wife and everyone who can use your system without using a million remotes.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
mr.unnatural

I like the feel of the Tivo peanut remote, but I rarely used it. I needed to control multiple devices and the peanut always fell short in terms of functionality. I've always used a universal remote instead of the peanut for this reason.

Back in the day when I was a total Tivo fanatic it wasn't unusual for me to have 3 or 4 Tivos running in the same room. The peanut could never control that many devices from a single remote without constantly switching codes so I'd just program a learning remote with all 10 codesets (i.e., 0 thru 9). I'd drag out a peanut remote to set the code on the Tivo and then put it away until the next time.

The Tivo peanut is just like any other OEM remote supplied with a consumer A/V component. It's set up to control the device it came with along with a TV and maybe one other device. Beyond that, it's basically useless and requires at least one other remote to control the remaining devices in a home theater system. Most of my Tivo remotes never got taken out of the plastic wrapper. If you've only got a basic setup then it's perfectly fine.

FWIW, I don't ever recall trying to use mine backwards. As stated, it's pretty clear which end faces forward based on the feel of the remote.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

I love the older peanut remote. Fits my hand very nicely. I don't like the Premiere remote. Can't get used to the enter button in the center. So they sit brand new, never used.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I love the older peanut remote. Fits my hand very nicely. I don't like the Premiere remote. Can't get used to the enter button in the center. So they sit brand new, never used.
Which older one? The very best, IMO is the Glo-remote. It has far and away the best feel in the hand and the most easily used key layout I have ever used. It's much better than the original peanut, and significantly better than the Premiere remote or the one that came with the THD.

It's very accurate. The only button I ever really mistake is the <Info> key. That one is too easily confused with the <LiveTV> key.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
The bottom end also has ridges.
Depends on the model.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
We're the opposite and prefer the Select button in the center with our S3 Glo-remote as that's the way the Sony S1 remotes were configured and what we were used to. I picked up a used HD for my son and could not get used to the Select button being below the directional buttons.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
macjeepster

I hooked up my wife's new Premiere yesterday, and I must say the ridges on the underside of the new peanut are a real improvement. It's easy to quickly tell if you're holding it right.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Depends on the model.
Which model(s) do not have the ridges? All of mine do I have remotes for the Series 2, 3, 4, Glow and USB Keyboard remote.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
SullyND
L: 28-31

I have at least one which is ridgeless - it's a red one I got with points from TiVo years ago.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Which model(s) do not have the ridges? All of mine do I have remotes for the Series 2, 3, 4, Glow and USB Keyboard remote.
The only ridged Tivo remote I've ever had was the one that came with my Premiere. All other tivo remotes, and I've had at least a dozen (S1 and S2 with dvr 1-2 switch), are entirely smooth.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
The overall functionality and button layout , but hate that you can't push a button on it while it sits on the counter or couch arm without rolling
I agree...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjeepster View Post
You should be able to tell you're holding a remote correctly without looking at it closely.
...and I am. Be careful using "you" where you should be using "I". If the remote doesn't meet your needs then find one that does.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote