TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Missing Closed Captions on Some Channels

Got an odd problem, hoping someone has some ideas...

I have two HD TiVos, using Comcast multistream CableCards, hooked up via HDMI to a brand-new Samsung UN46D6000 TV in my living room.

This TV will display closed-captions from every HD channel EXCEPT CBS and WB.

Meanwhile, my TiVo Premiere, which also uses a Comcast CableCard, is hooked up via HDMI to an older 32-inch Samsung LCD HDTV int he bedroom. That TV displays closed captions for all channels, including CBS and WB.

If I transfer CBS or WB recordings from the HD TiVos to the Premiere, I will see the closed-captions on the 32-inch TV. So the closed-captions are recorded -- but they won't display on the 46-inch TV.

I'm trying to figure out where the problem is: The HD TiVos (both of them)? The Samsung LED TV? The fact that the HD TiVos are running off a splitter? Why would closed-captions appear on most channels but not those two?

I'm ready to move all the CBS and WB season passes over to the Premiere if I can't figure this out. But I'd really like to watch most of my programs on the 46-inch TV.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
mattack

I don't know the answer, but why don't you use the TiVo's closed captions instead?

(I thought that closed captions never were sent over HDMI.. guess I was wrong.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I am using the TiVos' closed-captions. The Samsung's captions are disabled because there's no direct cable input.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
mattack

You said: "This TV will display closed-captions", when you really mean the TiVo will display captions. It really matters.

Make sure that both Tivos' caption settings are the same -- to analog or digital captions, and the right "channel" (not the right term).
Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

But how is it that the errant TiVos DO display captions for almost all of the channels -- just not for CBS or WB?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
mattack

LIKE I SAID, IT MIGHT BE DIGITAL VS ANALOG CAPTIONS. (I am fairly certain this somehow makes a difference, even with "digital" recordings.)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
rainwater

I believe TiVo recommends using analog captions in the current software.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

That did the trick!

I had both analog and digital captions selected. I set digital captions to "none," which forced TiVo to use the analog captions -- and the captions showed up on CBS and WB!

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
rwitkover

I don't see an "ana;og" option for closed captions

I have the Identical problem...CBS and USA don't show closed captions except for framgments on rare occasions. I went to settings>displays>closed captions but didn't see any option for analog. I have a TIVO HD with an M0cable card. My other set connected to a Cablevision box shows the captions perfectly.
PLease help.
rwitkover is offline   Reply With Quote