TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Art@DrKendall.or

Question Tivo responds as if clicked remote twice

I have a Tivo Premiere. Sometimes when I click the remote, The tivo reacts as if I had hit that button twice.

What could be causing this?
Art@DrKendall.or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

I have a bad remote that does that if I hold down the button too long. Another remote works fine for that TiVo.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art@DrKendall.or View Post
I have a Tivo Premiere. Sometimes when I click the remote, The tivo reacts as if I had hit that button twice.

What could be causing this?
Switch bounce not being dealt with properly by the remote itself?

The IR hitting something else in the room as well as the IR receiver on the TiVo, so that you get a delayed reflected signal arriving as well?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Also, check the batteries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I have the same issue with my Premiere. I've tried 3 different peanut remotes and new batteries. It seems to mostly happen on HD menu screens. It also seems to demand a more accurate aim than was necessary in the past. It get's frustrating navigating past where I want to be and then while trying to navigate back one page, I end up right where I started. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
hfcsyrup

what do you mean by "responds as if clicked remote twice". every button press sends an extra command to the tivo afaik. for example, i can use pandora, and turn the volume up on the receiver with my peanut remote, and it sends the vol up command and some other command to the tivo that takes pandora out of screen saver mode (frustrating). i think it is there so that when you're watching live tv the tivo knows better if you are present so it wont record suggestions.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
what do you mean by "responds as if clicked remote twice". every button press sends an extra command to the tivo afaik. for example, i can use pandora, and turn the volume up on the receiver with my peanut remote, and it sends the vol up command and some other command to the tivo that takes pandora out of screen saver mode (frustrating). i think it is there so that when you're watching live tv the tivo knows better if you are present so it wont record suggestions.
Nothing in your post has anything to do with the OP's issue. "responds as if clicked remote twice" means what it says. You press a button once and the Tivo acts as if you've pressed it twice. Not that difficult of a concept.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
You press a button once and the Tivo acts as if you've pressed it twice. Not that difficult of a concept.
I get this often. It is frustrating and has only started happening somewhat recently (past couple of months). In my case, I think my remote control has worn out. I am still using the remote that came with my S2ST I bought in '99 (to control the S2DT that replaced it and my TivoHD). When I press a button, there isn't quite enough spring force to pop it back up quick enough. It mostly just happens with the arrow keypad, info and pause buttons. For some reason the 30ss, the most frequently used button, is fine.

I suppose I should try and find my other brand new remote (one got destroyed) and see if that one works.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I've had this going on with my ~5 year old TiVo HD remote for a few months too. I'll probably try to track down a new remote with a dvr1-2 switch when I get too aggravated to continue with this one.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
hfcsyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Nothing in your post has anything to do with the OP's issue. "responds as if clicked remote twice" means what it says. You press a button once and the Tivo acts as if you've pressed it twice. Not that difficult of a concept.
sorry, i guess i misinterpreted. it was confusing to me when i first got tivo that when i press a volume button once, it sends a command to my receiver and a command to my tivo. two commands, twice. one click. not that difficult to think that is what OP is talking about.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
lrhorer

I have frequently had this happen when something was partially in the way of the IR beam. In my living room I have a coffee table sitting between some of the seats and the TiVo. If I am sitting in one of those seats and hold the remote just bit too low, it often causes the TiVo to think a button has been pressed twice. I don't know if the beam is bouncing off the tabletop, producing two geometrically diverse streams, or if the beam is being momentarily interrupted due to attenuation, making the TiVo think it is two commands, but rasing the remote just a few inches eliminates the issue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had this problem a few years ago. It turned out that a glass dish/bottle thing on our coffee table was somehow intercepting the IR pulses and causing duplicate button presses. Yes, I know this sounds silly, but I removed the glassware from the coffee table and the problem has never come back.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
lrhorer

'Doesn't sound silly, at all. Multipath distortion seems the most likely culprit.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Dirty (oxidized/deteriorated graphite) button contacts?

Last edited by videobruce : 12-31-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Dirty (oxidized/deteriorated graphic) button contacts?
The pictures/characters on the buttons probably are getting worn off by now, but I suspect you meant something more like graphite.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Typo corrected.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
BH9244

I seem to have a somewhat similar issue, but in my case it only happens when manipulating menues via my slingbox and only when manipulating a list, when I select up or down it seems to jump not to the next entry but the one following, this seems to be a new issue so I'm wondering if it's Tivo related or Sling.
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote