TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
macjeepster

Best way for a layman to add 100 hours or so to a Premiere?

I have a Premiere XL in one room and pulled the trigger to replace the Series 2 in the other room with a Premiere refurb from TiVo ($49!), but another 100 hours or so might be nice.

Years ago, I bought an upgrade from WeaKnees and was happy with the deal. Now his stuff seems high to me, and the MyBook DVR expander even more so.

What's the most cost-effective way for a layman to add a terabyte of so to a Premiere?

-mj
macjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
jcthorne

I have bought several drive upgrades from dvrdude on ebay. Great guy to work with, perfect product, quick to ship.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Jonathan_S

If you're handy with computers you could check out the underground forum here for instructions on using the JMFS program to do the drive upgrade yourself.

That would be cheaper than paying someone else, like WeaKnees or dvrdude, to do it. (I haven't done it on a premiere, but I've upgrade the drives of several series 2 and TiVo HD units and it wasn't much harder than adding a new drive to a PC)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjeepster View Post
I have a Premiere XL in one room and pulled the trigger to replace the Series 2 in the other room with a Premiere refurb from TiVo ($49!), but another 100 hours or so might be nice.

Years ago, I bought an upgrade from WeaKnees and was happy with the deal. Now his stuff seems high to me, and the MyBook DVR expander even more so.

What's the most cost-effective way for a layman to add a terabyte of so to a Premiere?

-mj
The most cost effective way is to use jmfs and probably a WD20EURS.

Assuming you have a PC where you can hook up 2 hard drives and boot from a cd and the PC doesn't use a GigaByte brand motherboard.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:

-mj
Just MHO, but this is the way I'm going to go if I ever need more space:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+...nder&cp=1&lp=8

This will give you another 140 hours of HD and you can stream between your Premiers.

I cannot even think of going through the upgrade process to replace the hard drive. I know I would f*** it up and end up spending more to do it right.

I just bought the same unit (new) for $59. I will move my current HD box to the master bedroom and I can transfer content between the two units. I am really tempted to get one of the $49 refurb unit like you and having 'streaming'.

Maybe next year.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Th eonly problem with the extender is that you have two pointsof failure. If one hard drive dies you lose everything on both drives.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
macjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
I cannot even think of going through the upgrade process to replace the hard drive. I know I would f*** it up and end up spending more to do it right.
Thanks for the link, malayphred, with the MyBook, and my XL, I'll be able to keep plenty of stuff around for quite a while.
And while aaronwt raises a good point about hard drive failure being more of a threat, the TiVo's not like a computer where some things are irreplaceable, so it's pretty much weighing two inconvenient things.

btw, aaronwt, do I read your sig right, you have 89 terabytes of storage and 9 TiVo tuners? Wow!

-mj
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had one DVR expander fail. However it started showing signs of it well in advance and I was able to transfer most of the shows off to another TiVo or a PC before it completely died. Then we simply replaced it and transferred everything back and 99% of it was still there. And the things we actually lost I found on BitTorrent.

No where near as critical as a PC where you have tons of irreplaceable data that needs to be backed up.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Just MHO, but this is the way I'm going to go if I ever need more space:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+...nder&cp=1&lp=8

This will give you another 140 hours of HD and you can stream between your Premiers.

I just bought the same unit (new) for $59. I will move my current HD box to the master bedroom and I can transfer content between the two units. I am really tempted to get one of the $49 refurb unit like you and having 'streaming'.

Maybe next year.
The last time I looked there were some WD units that a TiVo would accept and some almost identical ones which the TiVo would not accept, so you might want to check the box very carefully to see if it guarantees to work with a TiVo and assume it doesn't if it doesn't.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
macjeepster

I guess I'll find out.
Worst case scenario: If it won't work with my TiVo, I'll plug it into my Airport Extreme router and use it as a $99 server and a Time Machine backup for my Macs.
I think I'm OK, though. Some My Books are just called eSATA and others care called eSATA DVR Expanders, like this one.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I guess I'll find out.
Worst case scenario: If it won't work with my TiVo, I'll plug it into my Airport Extreme router and use it as a $99 server and a Time Machine backup for my Macs.
I think I'm OK, though. Some My Books are just called eSATA and others care called eSATA DVR Expanders, like this one.
The TiVos have a very short list they refer to when an eSATA enclosure is connected and sensed. It's model numbers for the actual drives inside. If the drive inside isn't one of those few models, it won't let you use it.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
macjeepster

The My Book DVR Expander came today. I haven't hooked it up, but it says on the box that it's compatible with TiVo Series 3 and Premiere. I'm hopeful.

One positive aspect of installing the Expander instead of a drive replacement is that I keep the capacity of the original TiVo (45 hours) and add the terrabyte drive (140) hours. This compares to 150 hours for the Premiere XL which costs much more (I know, my other TiVo is a Premiere XL this new one is going to replace a Series 2)

It cost me $49 for the refurb Premiere from TiVo, plus $99 for the My Book. I think this was a pretty good deal.

unitron: Thanks again for the Best Buy tip; the My Book DVR Expander was a lot more costly everywhere else I saw it.

Last edited by macjeepster : 12-18-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: To add a thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
macjeepster

OK - I set up the new Premiere and added the My Book with the enclosed eSATA cable. The premiere now has 209 hours.
(I told them not to renew my Seies 2 and they offered me the $99 lifetime on it, but I declined)

fwiw, Best Buy still offers the WD My Book DVR Expander for $99.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+...ref=25&loc=PGR
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
OK - I set up the new Premiere and added the My Book with the enclosed eSATA cable. The premiere now has 209 hours.
(I told them not to renew my Seies 2 and they offered me the $99 lifetime on it, but I declined)

fwiw, Best Buy still offers the WD My Book DVR Expander for $99.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+...ref=25&loc=PGR
Which model S2?

You could have taken the $99 deal and sold it or kept it to use in another room, including being able to copy some shows to it, depending on copy restrictions.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
macjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Which model S2?

You could have taken the $99 deal and sold it or kept it to use in another room, including being able to copy some shows to it, depending on copy restrictions.
I don't need another TiVo in another room. Sure, I can copy from it, but not in HD. The lifetimed Series 2 prices are all over the map, often less than $100. Doesn't seem worth the trouble. I am getting some use out of it, though.

I put it under the Premiere and it raised the TV about 4.5 inches, which turned out to be a better viewing height.

ps. It's the S2 with the black front, but I also have and S2 with the white plastic front. (also a Sony Series 1 and a Direct TiVo)

Last edited by macjeepster : 12-29-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
SNJpage1

I know it is so much easier to add storage and leave all your programs on the Tivo, however, I have been taking some shows and burning them to DVD's. They arent in HD but I am going to buy a blu ray burner soon and will be doing them in HD after that.