TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
DrDatabase

Cox Orange County HD Channel Screw Job

Cox in Orange County California has implemented a complete screwing of long-time digital HD subscribers using Tivos!

A number of the channels you might have received for years in premium HD tiers have been removed for good. Many HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz subchannels have been blocked. You will only get a few of the premium channels from each. A number of miscellaneous channels such as the cooking channel HD have also been block.

So now you get to enjoy viewer channels on your Tivos for the same or even higher prices

Why you ask? It so Cox can try and squeeze even more money out of their shrinking pool of customers. You now have to sign up for their TRIO service for 30 to 50 bucks a month and use their crappy DVR to get all the HD channels you were getting before.

Over the last few months I've notice HD channels disappearing on my Tivos and my regular Cox digital STBs.

I just installed a new Tvio XL4 over the weekend and had to roll a tech out to check out the line. I showed him the missing HD channels and he didn't say a word about TRIO. He just ran around checking signal strength and noise levels. After pressing him he finally called his supervisor and was told to tell me those channels are not available to non TRIO subscribers. Gee Cox thanks for informing me that my channels were being decreased but my month fees were not.

I love the new XL4. PQ is much better then my old HD unit. Too bad Cox has gone down the toilet. I think a 26 year customer that spends over $200 a month with them should be treated more open and honestly. Oh well I guess I need to start looking for alternatives.
DrDatabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
moyekj

You must be talking about the PlusPak channels.
With your Premiere XL4 unit you SHOULD be able to tune these channels, but you won't with your older Series 3 units. The issue is that Cox has moved all those channels to 850-1000MHz frequency range and are using H.264 encoding which Series 3 units cannot tune. Premiere units however can tune them just fine.

See the AVS Forum post starting here for some more info along with list of affected channels:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/273324/ora...#post_22640908

I don't have TRIO and didn't ask for any of these channels but I can tune them. For example channel 1078 (Pac-12 HD) I can tune without any trouble and in fact I recorded clips from that channel and downloaded to my PC to pass on to VideoRedo developers for them to have H.264 TiVo samples to test.

So take a deep breath and know that you SHOULD be able to get those channels with your XL4 unit. If you can't you can call Cox and explain you have an XL4 unit capable of tuning those channels and they should be able to authorize your account as needed to tune them.

Note that there are other Cox markets such as Arizona and San Diego that made this transition before Orange County and you can find threads about them here, and TiVo series 4 owners in those markets were able to get them working after a TiVo software update for series 4 units.

EDIT: For example look at this posts starting with the one below for info on this in other markets almost 1 year ago (Arizona):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...79#post8872279
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 12-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

You need to call Cox and tell them you need the Plus-Pak added to your account. If you get someone that tells you that you must have Trio to get them hang up and try calling again. Eventually you will get someone that knows that owners of capable TiVo's are eligible to receive them. Earlier this year I had a supervisor tell me that there was no way that Cox was EVER going to allow anyone to receive the Plus-Pak channels without getting Trio. Called back the next today and talked to someone that told me, oh yeah we had a memo come out recently that stated Premier Tivo's and PC CableCard devices are eligible.

I have been receiving them fine in AZ since the Spring update.
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
moyekj

Note that I never called Cox to specifically ask that Plus Pak be included in my account, yet I can tune the non-premium channels (I don't subscribe to any premiums) in Plus Pak anyway. So seems to me like a call should not even be necessary and that only requirement is you need a Series 4 TiVo (or PC card capable of H.264 tuning).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
LynnL999

You can also hit up their Facebook page. I've had moderately good luck with the CS folks who respond there.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
You need to call Cox and tell them you need the Plus-Pak added to your account. If you get someone that tells you that you must have Trio to get them hang up and try calling again. Eventually you will get someone that knows that owners of capable TiVo's are eligible to receive them. Earlier this year I had a supervisor tell me that there was no way that Cox was EVER going to allow anyone to receive the Plus-Pak channels without getting Trio. Called back the next today and talked to someone that told me, oh yeah we had a memo come out recently that stated Premier Tivo's and PC CableCard devices are eligible.

I have been receiving them fine in AZ since the Spring update.
which Tivo unit are you seeing these channels on? I'd be surprised if it was anything but a Premiere
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDatabase View Post
Cox in Orange County California has implemented a complete screwing of long-time digital HD subscribers using Tivos!

A number of the channels you might have received for years in premium HD tiers have been removed for good. Many HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz subchannels have been blocked. You will only get a few of the premium channels from each. A number of miscellaneous channels such as the cooking channel HD have also been block.

So now you get to enjoy viewer channels on your Tivos for the same or even higher prices

Why you ask? It so Cox can try and squeeze even more money out of their shrinking pool of customers. You now have to sign up for their TRIO service for 30 to 50 bucks a month and use their crappy DVR to get all the HD channels you were getting before.

Over the last few months I've notice HD channels disappearing on my Tivos and my regular Cox digital STBs.

I just installed a new Tvio XL4 over the weekend and had to roll a tech out to check out the line. I showed him the missing HD channels and he didn't say a word about TRIO. He just ran around checking signal strength and noise levels. After pressing him he finally called his supervisor and was told to tell me those channels are not available to non TRIO subscribers. Gee Cox thanks for informing me that my channels were being decreased but my month fees were not.

I love the new XL4. PQ is much better then my old HD unit. Too bad Cox has gone down the toilet. I think a 26 year customer that spends over $200 a month with them should be treated more open and honestly. Oh well I guess I need to start looking for alternatives.
until the plus pack was launched no cox location had more than maybe 2 each of the premium channels.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
tvmaster2

has anyone called Tivo, explained the Cox conversion to h.264, and asked for a swap to current technology (Premiere) from the HD series TiVo units?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
has anyone called Tivo, explained the Cox conversion to h.264, and asked for a swap to current technology (Premiere) from the HD series TiVo units?
Why would TiVo do anything?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
Why would TiVo do anything?
Yeh exactly... Buy the Premiere
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
tvmaster2

merry christmas?

so, Tivo, after a reasonably good argument from me, exchanged my two TivoHD units for two, 45-hour Premiere's with 90 day warranty for $49 each. They also transferred the 'Lifetime' service from each of the HD's to my new Premiere's for free.

in summation: two Premiere 45-hour units with Lifetime service for $100. Reason: "it's how we're dealing with Cox clients effected by the h.264 problem at the moment.

Get that phone and start calling Tivo, HD owners
Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
LynnL999

TiVo also helped me out. They offered me a number of options for one of my HD's. Ultimately I decided on a new XL4 -- I bought it at retail and they transferred lifetime for free.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Way to go TiVo

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
AZrob

Premiere XL cannot get h.264 when using external MOCA adapters

Hi all,

Here in Phoenix, I have had a problem similar to what the Orange County Cox subscribers have had - but with a twist. Yes, I can get the X.264 channels on my Premiere XL....but NOT if I use an external MOCA in line with the cable feed. I noticed this when I subscribed to Showtime for 3 months and couldnt get channels 1240 or 1243. I had Cox and Tivo working on the issue for 6 hours and finally it came down to this: the new H.264 channels will work with the Tivo XL4 internal MOCA adapters, but not external MOCA ones that you need to purchase and implement when you have the older Premiere XL, which doesn't have its own internal MOCA adapters.

I decided to stop worrying about it because I was going to unsubscribe from Showtime anyway...the only non-Premium channel affected was 1101 HUB.

But if Tivo is recognizing the issue by offering to transfer Lifetime service..hey, I'll sell my Tivo HD and put the Lifetime service on a new XL4!

Has anyone in Phoenix gotten this deal yet?

thanks,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
tvmaster2

sorry...what does MOCA stand for?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCAŽ)
http://www.mocalliance.org/

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html

What is MoCA?

MoCA (pronounced "mocha," like the chocolate coffee drink!) networking is a great option if you don't have easy access to a wired Ethernet cable.

MoCA delivers the same high-speed network connection you get through an Ethernet cable, and delivers it through your existing coax cable (the wire you use to receive cable TV) to any room in your home.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
L David Matheny

Quote:
so, Tivo, after a reasonably good argument from me, exchanged my two TivoHD units for two, 45-hour Premiere's with 90 day warranty for $49 each. They also transferred the 'Lifetime' service from each of the HD's to my new Premiere's for free.

in summation: two Premiere 45-hour units with Lifetime service for $100. Reason: "it's how we're dealing with Cox clients effected by the h.264 problem at the moment."
That's interesting. It might give TiVo an incentive to port the program code to handle h.264 to the TiVo HD. I believe that would generate much goodwill, yet without making the Series 3 unit truly competitive with Series 4 units (which have considerably greater processing power) or soon-we-hope Series 5 units (which should have MUCH greater processing power).
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
That's interesting. It might give TiVo an incentive to port the program code to handle h.264 to the TiVo HD. I believe that would generate much goodwill, yet without making the Series 3 unit truly competitive with Series 4 units (which have considerably greater processing power) or soon-we-hope Series 5 units (which should have MUCH greater processing power).
My argument was that you'd better get the executives to sit down at a table and figure this out right-quick, before the masses start seeing their channels disappear in the next 12 months. When 100,000 subs start bitching at the same time, it would be best to be ahead of the curve, so to speak.
Totally happy with new Premiere's
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Optics

No go.

I called and they wouldn't do the lifetime transfer to a new Premier.
Any tips?
Optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
LynnL999

Either call back and ask to be elevated to someone familiar with the Cox issue, or Twitter @tivodesign. She'll ask you to email her (I recommend being very very polite).
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics View Post
I called and they wouldn't do the lifetime transfer to a new Premier.
Any tips?
when did you get your Lifetime? TiVo rep told me that since my two subscriptions were just over a year old, that's why they transferred them for free. But I agree, politeness mixed with a hint of desperation, innocence and possible defection to Cox Whole-home-DVR may work as well
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Either call back and ask to be elevated to someone familiar with the Cox issue, or Twitter @tivodesign. She'll ask you to email her (I recommend being very very polite).
Thanks, I'll call back later this week and elevating the issue.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Optics

Quote:
when did you get your Lifetime? TiVo rep told me that since my two subscriptions were just over a year old, that's why they transferred them for free. But I agree, politeness mixed with a hint of desperation, innocence and possible defection to Cox Whole-home-DVR may work as well
I got the Lifetime on the TiVoHD in June 2008, but got my first TiVo in 2000, all lifetime subs. I'll try again. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
AZrob

Success!

I'm happy to report that without much difficulty I was able to get Tivo to transfer my LT subscription from my HD to a new XL4. This was one of several options I could have taken, although to be honest, I did not go into the others...I knew this was the deal I wanted. The only drawback was I had to buy the Tivo at retail, which meant $499, instead of $399 at Best Buy, where I usually go. With the difference in not having to pay local taxes, the difference is about $90...not bad, compared to $399 to buy a LT transfer on my own.

I live in Phoenix, by the way, not Orange County. Here is what I did:

1. Made a regular call to Tivo Support, asking for a solution. Not surprisingly, was told there was nothing they could do.

2. Emailed Tivo Margret.

3. She forwarded my email to Support, and I got an email back from a Level 2 Support person asking me to call in so they could discuss some options that were available to me.

4. I called Support, repeated what I was told to do, and they transferred me to Customer Service, because this is apparently something that Customer Service can do, but Technical Support cannot. That's an important difference. It's possible that if you call into Customer Service in the first place that you might not have to go through all the steps I went through.

5. A nice CSR answered, who did not know of this deal. But after putting me on hold for less than 5 minutes, she came back and said basically which option do you want? Like I said, I immediately asked for the free LT transfer from my Tivo HD.

That's it...haven't received the unit yet, but my order has a separate line item for Transfer of Service for $0.00.

This is a decent compromise, I feel and I hope that others can get the same degree of satisfaction I received.

Thanks to all who helped me on this!

Rob from AZ
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Retail on the TiVo website for the XL4 is $399.99, and has been for a while, so it sounds like TiVo charged you $100 to transfer Lifetime, still not bad though.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-xl4.do

Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Retail on the TiVo website for the XL4 is $399.99, and has been for a while, so it sounds like TiVo charged you $100 to transfer Lifetime, still not bad though.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-xl4.do
Hmmm...the CSR was very specific that the $499 was the retail price and there would be no charge for the transfer...and the order indicates the item for transfer has a charge of $0.00. Maybe $499 is what the official retail price is (was, when they first released the model) and $399 is the current "discounted" price?

Rob
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
Hmmm...the CSR was very specific that the $499 was the retail price and there would be no charge for the transfer...and the order indicates the item for transfer has a charge of $0.00. Maybe $499 is what the official retail price is (was, when they first released the model) and $399 is the current "discounted" price?

Rob
Okay, I called back and it turns out that $499 is the MSRP, while $399 is the current "discounted" price. And at first, the CSR told me that the only way to transfer a LT subscription was to buy the Tivo at the MSRP price, because that was how Tivo sold units without a service contract, and that is the only way to transfer an existing LT sub to a new unit.

But then I got ahold of a supervisor, and he admitted that that wasn't necessarily the case, and that he had discretion to let me either buy the Tivo at the current price OR let me buy one from a retailer, like Best Buy.

Sooo, at my request they cancelled my current order from Tivo, and put a note in my file that after I bought an XL4 from BB, I could call in and they would transfer the LT at no charge.

Result: instead of buying the Tivo for $499, I got it at BB for $399. I also get 800 BB Reward Zone points with translates to another $15 off on a future BB purchase.

And not inconsequentially, I get to buy an extended warranty from BB for 4 years, for $70, instead of one from Tivo for 3 years for $50. I have been able to replace/upgrade 3 Tivos using BB warranties in the past 10 years....for my money, they're always worth it, because BB takes your old Tivo back in the store with no questions, and you get a new one right away. With Tivo's warranty, you have to ship it back, and you might only get a refurbished unit instead of a new one.

Also, in speaking to the CSR supervisor, it appears that Tivo is now well aware of the "Cox problem" and that this deal or deals like it, are going to be informally offered from now on. The supervisor said that somehow Tivo is going to have to "do something" about this issue, since it's obviously not a minor matter - at least, not for Cox subscribers.

Moral: Stay away from Tech Support - deal with Customer Support, and ask immediately to be able to speak to a supervisor.

Good luck!

Rob
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
ajwees41

Quote:
My argument was that you'd better get the executives to sit down at a table and figure this out right-quick, before the masses start seeing their channels disappear in the next 12 months. When 100,000 subs start bitching at the same time, it would be best to be ahead of the curve, so to speak.
Totally happy with new Premiere's
the current channels will not disapear from TIVO's just the Plus Pack will not show up on a TIVO HD.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
LynnL999

Quote:
the current channels will not disapear from TIVO's just the Plus Pack will not show up on a TIVO HD.
On another thread, someone posted information from a Cox source that another bunch of channels was going to be moved to h264 in the new year, including what's currently the 1100 range in Orange County. That includes SciHD, NatGeoHD, UniversalHD and a bunch of others.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #30
tvmaster2

Quote:
there's a thread around here where someone says they have it on good authority Cox is going to be switching over all channels above 1100 in 2013. I'd rather not wait until it's too late, just in case. The Plus Pak = 25 channels...that's good enough to get me going, as Lynn says