TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
kshusker

My TiVo's dead - buy now or wait til September?

Our TiVo HD has died a sad death - the green blinking light of doom has occurred, and after trying three separate hard drives, I've come to the conclusion it is probably the motherboard, and so we are out of luck. And it had a lifetime subscription...ouch!

Anyway, the spring TV season's almost over, and I rarely watch TV during the summer. I won't really have a need for a DVR until the fall, when the new season starts for TV and coincidentally, college football and basketball begin again. In the mean time, I might even cut the cord for a few months!

But, I will eventually want a new TiVo - do you guys think I will gain anything buy waiting to buy until the fall?

I've done some cursory browsing of TiVo rumors and it doesn't sound like anything good is on the horizon - if that is indeed the case, I'll probably just go ahead and buy now.

I know the rule of tech is buy what you need when you need it, but that said, if you were in my shoes, would you think it worthwhile to wait til the fall or are the TiVo models out now be very likely what will be out the end of August?
kshusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

There are some new Tivos coming later in the year, but not likely by the end of August. We don't know exactly what they are or exactly when they'll be released, but it'll be before the holiday. And chances are you'd be happier with them over the then-almost 4 year old platform.

In your shoes I would bite the bullet and rent a DVR for just a couple months over the fall until they come out. Or if you're a bargain shopper, there probably will be some deals to empty existing stock at some point.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
waterchange

I would look to purchase the cheapest Tivo HD on Craigslist and try a power supply swap. Might not recover your Tivo but if it were mine, I would be willing to invest $20-$40 for the slim chance at recovering a lifetime box.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
farmermac
Super user

One thing I've learned in my years with TiVo is not to rely on announced products, let alone rumors. Buy what you want now and enjoy. Sell the dead TiVo with lifetime, you'll still get $200 for it
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Do the power supply capicitors look like they are buldging or are any other components looking burnt or otherwise damaged?
I would suspect a power supply long before a hard drive or a mother board.
It isn't that hard to get and replace the capacitors.
Where are you located?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Motherboard death is rare. It happens, but rare.

So, I would look to repair. How did you "try" other hard drives? Its not clear you pulled the current drive and updated to a new one, or just tried to plug and play.

Next try the suggestions on the PS. Those can have a wide variety of symptoms, which could be what is happening. Older units can have capacitor issues, while some are visible (domed tops), others are internal only.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
mreaves53

Repair

Try Weaknees website. They repair TiVos.
WD Live TV Media Player
Phillips HDD DVD recorder
LG NAS
Slingbox Pro HD
Toshiba Thrive
mreaves53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
ADent

Just pick up a Premiere 4 (or XL4) when there is a deal - if you don't need OTA.

Tivo was offereing a P4 for $249 + Lifetime for $400 from my account page.

Also there is an offer for some qualified users (my S3 TSN worked) for $550 for a P4 with lifetime ( http://www3.tivo.com/promo/s2upgrade_2013.html ).

Remember that you only qualify for the MSD discount if you unit has been active in the last 180 days. So if you wait too long, your until will be considered inactive and you will lose the $100 discount on lifetime.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
kshusker

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Do the power supply capicitors look like they are buldging or are any other components looking burnt or otherwise damaged?
I would suspect a power supply long before a hard drive or a mother board.
It isn't that hard to get and replace the capacitors.
Where are you located?
I just finished a visual inspection of the capacitors on my power supply and none look out of order, bulging or burnt. Nothing obvious on the motherboard either

I am in Kansas City FWIW
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
kshusker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Motherboard death is rare. It happens, but rare.

So, I would look to repair. How did you "try" other hard drives? Its not clear you pulled the current drive and updated to a new one, or just tried to plug and play.

Next try the suggestions on the PS. Those can have a wide variety of symptoms, which could be what is happening. Older units can have capacitor issues, while some are visible (domed tops), others are internal only.
Tried completely new hard drive, prepared first using InstantCake.

No obvious signs of capacitor failure (external bulges or burn marks)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
mattack

If it has lifetime, you can still probably make SOME money off of it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If it has lifetime, you can still probably make SOME money off of it.
Yep, even Series 1 TiVos and ReplayTV DVRs can still be sold on eBay, although not worth the time in my opinion.
Too bad you don't live in Denver, you could bring it over and we could change out the power supply to see if that would fix it.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

Non bulging caps does not mean they are good. Can you measure your PS output?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
kshusker

So to followup a couple week later, it was the power supply. I swapped it out and that fixed the issue. FWIW, my old supply didn't have any obvious signs of problems.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
CAAvidTivoUser

I bet you are happy now! :)

I bet you are happy now!
CAAvidTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Mashdoc

I'm in the Atlanta area. My Son recently gave me a new TiVo Premiere for birthday.

I don't have room or need for a 4th one so I'm selling it for $110. Never installed still in box.

If you or anyone you know is interested contact me firebird1941@aim.com
Mashdoc is offline   Reply With Quote