TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
leitzsout

New Tivo User...Initial Frustrations

I recently dropped my xfinity any room DVR service due to unreliable recording, missing entirely or pixelated, and lack of a 4 tuner unit. I'm 3 days into my service and while there are many noticeable improvements, here are a few disappointments:
  • xfinity on demand does not show, both xfinity and tivo agree the cards are set up properly, xfinity says on demand should be available immediately, tivo says 72 hours or 5 days depending upon who you talk to.
  • No support for amazon Prime videos
  • My xl4 did a reboot on its own while several recording were in process, tivo says it might have been a software update. I asked if one took place Saturday evening…then suggested might be updating because it was a new xl4…doesn't the software get updated during installation? Then suggested I shouldn't be using a surge protector since the box is warrantied for 90 days and an extended warranty is available....really?
  • Choppy netflix…I know much discussion on this already

leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitzsout View Post
I recently dropped my xfinity any room DVR service due to unreliable recording, missing entirely or pixelated, and lack of a 4 tuner unit. I'm 3 days into my service and while there are many noticeable improvements, here are a few disappointments:

xfinity on demand does not show, both xfinity and tivo agree the cards are set up properly, xfinity says on demand should be available immediately, tivo says 72 hours or 5 days depending upon who you talk to.
At least it is available in your area. Some of us are still waiting and may never see it.

Quote:
No support for amazon Prime videos
Maybe someday.

Quote:
My xl4 did a reboot on its own while several recording were in process, tivo says it might have been a software update. I asked if one took place Saturday evening…then suggested might be updating because it was a new xl4…doesn't the software get updated during installation? Then suggested I shouldn't be using a surge protector since the box is warrantied for 90 days and an extended warranty is available....really?
No, the s/w isn't updated during installation. However, it shouldn't do a reboot for s/w installation if it is actively recording something other than the live buffers. That final suggestion is one of the silliest I've ever seen. You got one of the stupidest CSRs in existence and most of them are dumber than a box of unusually dumb rocks. Although he/she was partly correct. A TiVo shouldn't be on a surge protector. It should be on a UPS.

Quote:
Choppy netflix…I know much discussion on this already
What kind of network and Internet connections do you have?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

* This is probably you getting bad info from Comcast. Something is not right on their side of things.
* Prime should be no surprise, no false claims here. Contact Amazon.
* UPS for a Tivo- most have surge protection built in. I would not worry about reboots for the first 3-4 days.
* Are you wifi? My netflix is perfect with hardwire ethernet, but had issues using wireless G.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
[*]No support for amazon Prime videos
Not meaning to excuse this or any of the others, but the cable box didn't support this either...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
leitzsout

Thanks for all the feedback.

My connections are mocha with xfinity blast internet.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No, the s/w isn't updated during installation. However, it shouldn't do a reboot for s/w installation if it is actively recording something other than the live buffers. That final suggestion is one of the silliest I've ever seen. You got one of the stupidest CSRs in existence and most of them are dumber than a box of unusually dumb rocks. Although he/she was partly correct. A TiVo shouldn't be on a surge protector. It should be on a UPS.
Actually there is a software upgrade step in Guided Setup now.

Also, even if this were an update, the software is smart enough to know not to reboot while something is recording.

The reason for the reboot was either a power loss (really should get a UPS) or a software glitch. I've seen a few random reboots on my XL4 resulting in partial recordings. Luckily they're pretty infrequent so it's not a huge concern.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
JandS

Re: Xfinity / Amazon Prime / reboot

When we installed our XL4 several months ago (in addition to existing XL2) we had some difficulty with Comcast/Xfinity automatically recognizing the new cable card which resulted in a call to Comcast support.

As we talked, the support person said he'd "send a refresh signal" to the card, a process that we've done several times with the XL2 without incident. This time, though, the "signal" caused the XL4 to reboot immediately. The XL4 is on a large UPS with other AVR equipment; none of devices had any electrical blips or glitches, only the Tivo rebooted.

Perhaps your reboot was a result of Comcast sending out a refresh signal?
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
leitzsout

Wish it were so...I've had multiple cable card resets to try and get on demand working but it wasn't happening at the time of the reboot...have 3 new ups units arriving for my new tivo boxes on Thursday.