TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Google sells Motorola Home Cable Set-Top Biz to Arris

and the big 3 (Cisco, Motorola and Arris) become the big 2. I wonder if Arris will rebrand the Motorola line?
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...dot-35-billion
The agreement also includes provisions to cap potential liability for intellectual-property infringement. Digital-video recording company TiVo Inc. (TIVO) is suing Motorola Mobility and Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO) over use of recording technology in the set-top boxes they make.

“Google has taken that risk off the table,” Arris Chief Executive Officer Bob Stanzione said on a conference call.
http://www.arrisi.com/_docs/ARRIS_An...nt_Release.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-20-2012 at 06:00 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
ShayL

Arris now owns both the Motorola setup boxes and moxi. They are definitely going to be fully focused on the MSO market.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

This is interesting and I find it to be very telling in regards to what Google does and doesn't want to do.

My first thought was initially that the Motorola STB market would have been a feather in their cap as far as Google TV coming in to the market, but the fact they shopped it around and sold it suggests to me that Google TV isn't one of their primary focuses in the business, but more a diversion at times.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
ah30k

I think more accurately, Google viewed Moto as a legacy dinosaur and wanted to start from the ground up doing it 'their way.'

Look at their KC fiber project. They are still going strong in this space, just not with that turd hanging around their neck.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Worf

No, Google bought Motorola purely for the cellphone business. Motorola has some great technology (and patents, lots of patents) related to cellphones. They also have a ton of experience with cellphones. At a time when Android phones had laughable battery life, Motorola Androids pretty much couldn't die (because Motorola applied that technology to making their phones power efficient. Trust me, I've seen the effort they go through measuring and quantifying each little change to eke out just a tiny bit more battery).

Unfortunately, Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility included their set top box division as well, which they didn't want. Hence shopping it around - perhaps there's someone who wants that part because Google's got no interest in traditional forms of TV.

Companies do it all the time - they buy up other companies and spin off the parts they don't want to recoup some of their investment dollars.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, if any of y'all have used Moto's HD STBs and DVRs you'd know why Google pawned them off on Arris. I'm sure some of the reason why they're crap is because of cable cheaping out on features, but the DVR software in particular is really bad, and buggier than Tivo's.

Arris bought Moto STB biz for the patents and IP, same as why they bought Digeo and ditched the Moxi. They already do their own hardware so I expect the Moto junk to hit the door when the current cable contracts run out.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Series3Sub

An existing STB maker buying another STB maker (this applies to any business) also keeps out further competition. Often that can be the primary reason for its purchase, as, IMHO, was the primary reason Arris bought Moto. Now, one less competitor eat a share of the pie.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Worf

All cablebox DVRs suck - it's why TiVo is still around despite the huge inrush of "free" DVRs, and why us TiVO users put up with crap like CableCards and tuning adapters. Because reverting back to the cable box DVR is a horrific notion.

(And it's not just Motorola, but also Cisco'Scientific Atlanta).

And Google was never interested in cable boxes - they wanted the mobile phone part. They probably let Arris have it for a song. Especially since it probably doesn't fit Google's vision of the future of TV...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, if any of y'all have used Moto's HD STBs and DVRs you'd know why Google pawned them off on Arris. I'm sure some of the reason why they're crap is because of cable cheaping out on features, but the DVR software in particular is really bad, and buggier than Tivo's.

Arris bought Moto STB biz for the patents and IP, same as why they bought Digeo and ditched the Moxi. They already do their own hardware so I expect the Moto junk to hit the door when the current cable contracts run out.
the software is not Motorola owned different MSO's use different ipg's.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

OK, but it's all crap and usually doesn't even activate all the features such as eSata.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
OK, but it's all crap and usually doesn't even activate all the features such as eSata.
That would be up to the cable company to allow not Motorola. Comcast has eSATA enabled while Cox (my Cable provider?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Arris now owns both the Motorola setup boxes and moxi. They are definitely going to be fully focused on the MSO market.
Weird. I was just hacking my buddy's home network and discovered he has an Arris gateway with Comcast. It has the phone service and built in battery backup. I had to guess how to reset it and whether they still require a spoofed MAC address (No. That just messed me up for a while.)
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, Google bought Motorola purely for the cellphone business. Motorola has some great technology (and patents, lots of patents) related to cellphones. They also have a ton of experience with cellphones.
True, but if Google saw potential for Google TV in the MSO market I don't think they'd be dumping it. That's the "legacy dinosaur" thing. Google probably believes the days for MSOs controlling access to content the way they do now are numbered. For that reason MSOs are more and more going to start seeing Google as a competitor which would make it tough for Google to keep the Motorola set top business healthy.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote