TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
waydennis2

Tivo Premiere Skips to End While Fast Forwarding

A couple of weeks ago my Tivo Premiere started jumping to the end of the show while fast forwarding. Anyone else have this happen?

My wife is at the control and swears she is not hitting any other buttons. Does not happen constantly, but a few times a week it does resulting in my wife having a bout of Tivo tourettes.
waydennis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
expmag
RehobothJeff

It seems that now holding the skip button down too long jumps to the end of the show. This seems to have started with the latest update. If it happened prior it was not as sensitive.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
waydennis2

I have duplicated using the skip button to jump to the end on my other Tivo.

However, my wife is just using the Fast Forward. Any ideas on that?
waydennis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

It appears that with the new update it has a strange skip tendency when you fast forward... When you slow it down and press play it will sometimes skip 5-7 minutes into the future from the point you want to stop. This is especially irritating when watching a sporting event.

Anyone from Tivo on here have any insight if there will be a fix to this sometime soon?
Scott3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmag View Post
It seems that now holding the skip button down too long jumps to the end of the show. This seems to have started with the latest update. If it happened prior it was not as sensitive.
That's a documented feature. It's described under settings --> remote & device settings --> remote control setup --> part 4 advance and replay buttons. You have two choices -- advance scans forward 30 seconds or advance skips to tick. If you choose the second, pressing and holding it will not send you to the end of a recording. But you also lose the 30 second skip with that second choice.

Last edited by Bierboy : 12-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you are in FF or REW and then skip is pressed, it will jump to the next tick or end of the program timeline.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Perhaps the issue has to do with holding the button down?

When you do that, the command is constantly repeated, which could result in undesirable consequences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Perhaps the issue has to do with holding the button down?

When you do that, the command is constantly repeated, which could result in undesirable consequences.
Read my previous post carefully; it's a DOCUMENTED FEATURE. Go to the remote settings. It's fully explained right there...it talks about pressing and holding the button and what that does.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

I don't think that the issue they're describing... I have an issue where I'm on 3 arrow fast forward, reduce to 2 so I don't miss the point where I want to start playing again, and when I hit play it jumps 5-7 mins ahead... You can see it jump when you fast forward.. Haven't any of you noticed that?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Nope, have not seen this.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
renee312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3232 View Post
I don't think that the issue they're describing... I have an issue where I'm on 3 arrow fast forward, reduce to 2 so I don't miss the point where I want to start playing again, and when I hit play it jumps 5-7 mins ahead... You can see it jump when you fast forward.. Haven't any of you noticed that?

Yes, this has been happening to us a lot since the latest update.
Usually Tivo is VERY accurate when you are searching... now it's jumping all around.
renee312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
danineg

Not only does this happen randomly to us, we have had a show stop in the middle and go to the tivo screen when no one is near the remote. Going back into show we had to fast forward to point we were at and it played to the end.
danineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
newsome

Not the same

I don't think what the OP is referring to is a "feature". I'll press fast forward to skip through the commercials, and sometimes randomly it will just jump to the end of the show. I'm not holding the button down, I'm not pressing anything but the fast-forward button twice. I'm sitting there watching the commercials scroll by, and suddenly the picture freezes for a half second, then I'm at the end of the show. I've had various TiVos over the last 8 years or so, this is not a feature.
newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
MathiasRex

I've been skipping forward with the 30 sec features and seen it skip to the next "tic". Don't think this is the "feature", not holding the button down. Doesn't happen too often, willing to overlook since I love the service in general.
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRex View Post
I've been skipping forward with the 30 sec features and seen it skip to the next "tic". Don't think this is the "feature", not holding the button down. Doesn't happen too often, willing to overlook since I love the service in general.
If you are in any of the fast fwd modes and you hit the 30 skip button, it will skip to tick (on a Tivo HD).
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
nailerpa

I have the same issue...and it started with the latest TiVo update. I've also had TiVo's for several years and have never experienced this before. Very annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsome View Post
I don't think what the OP is referring to is a "feature". I'll press fast forward to skip through the commercials, and sometimes randomly it will just jump to the end of the show. I'm not holding the button down, I'm not pressing anything but the fast-forward button twice. I'm sitting there watching the commercials scroll by, and suddenly the picture freezes for a half second, then I'm at the end of the show. I've had various TiVos over the last 8 years or so, this is not a feature.

nailerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

It actually got WORSE in the last update. It started doing it for me sometime in the early v20 changes a while back.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
MassRocket

I have this problem and it is a DISASTER when you are watching a game. You go along, skipping forward here and there and then, all of a sudden, it skips all the way to the end, showing you the final score. Grrrrrr!!!

If this is a new "Feature", then whoever the idiot is that designed it--with no way to disable it--should be embarrassed!

BTW, I have been a loyal Tivo owner for 12 years (beginning with the SAT-T60, on through every Series, up to the current dual-rig setup of a Tivo Premiere XL4 and a Tivo XL).
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
oregonman

I've noticed this too. I'm fast forwarding through a show and it skips to the end. No I'm not holding the button down or hitting the skip button. It only happens on certain recordings. I don't think it is any kind of new feature. I think that I've noticed it happening on shows where there may have been recording problems - pixellation or drop outs. Next time I notice it, I'll save the show and see how reproducible it is on that show. I haven't really try to pin it down because it happens rarely.

This brings up something I've thought that Tivo should do. I guess it belongs in the suggestions avenue forum, but I think it would help debug problems like this. Tuner error statistics are kept and can be seen on a per tuner basis. Tivo should record the tuner errors on a per recording basis. Just read the error counters at the beginning of a recording and then at the end and record the difference in the recording info screen. Then you could look at the detailed info for a recording and see if there were tuner errors during the recording. Even better, if the uncorrected errors are above a threshold, the Tivo could try to get another showing of the show if it is available (for season passes).
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
MassRocket

Just had it happen again. Watching the Celtics game last night, close game--could be a buzzer beater at the end of the fourth period. Game delayed for officials' review of play. Skip forward a couple of times. Boom--straight to the end of program showing the final score! Arrrrrrgh. Two bad I missed the Overtime, Double Overtime and Triple Overtime that led to that final score...! Sigh. I used to love this machine; now I cannot count on it to watch any game without ruining the experience. Why on earth would they change the software to cause this?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I"m still convinced that some people (not ALL) are inadvertently pressing that skip button and holding it down too long thereby activating the "skip-to-end" command (which is a clearly documented TiVo feature)...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I"m still convinced that some people (not ALL) are inadvertently pressing that skip button and holding it down too long thereby activating the "skip-to-end" command (which is a clearly documented TiVo feature)...
So what you are saying is SOMETIMES its a bug, but most likely a feature most times.

Sighs
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
Scott3232
FIGHT ON!

Skipping

No, I am definitely not doing that... If I go 2-3 arrows fast forward I can see it jumping a few minutes ahead and then recovering to where it should be... Additionally, it inadvertently jumps 2-7 minutes ahead sometimes when fast forwarding and then pushing play... It's just not working properly and needs to be addressed.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
So what you are saying is SOMETIMES its a bug, but most likely a feature most times.

Sighs
Yes.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

I have experienced this issue as well. Since Bierboy obviously has NOT, perhaps we can just ignore his comments.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #26
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I have experienced this problem as well...
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #27
NSPhillips

I have seen it too. I have to slow down my skipping when compared to how fast it goes on my Series 3.
NSPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
tmichaud32708

Confirmation here

We rarely use the advance button at all. Instead we use the fast-forward at 3 times.

Lately, as we fast-forward, it randomly decides to jump to the end. Annoying as hell.
tmichaud32708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #29
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
I've noticed this too. I'm fast forwarding through a show and it skips to the end. No I'm not holding the button down or hitting the skip button. It only happens on certain recordings. I don't think it is any kind of new feature. I think that I've noticed it happening on shows where there may have been recording problems - pixellation or drop outs. Next time I notice it, I'll save the show and see how reproducible it is on that show. I haven't really try to pin it down because it happens rarely.
It happened to me again for the first time since I posted the above. Again, there was no possibility of my having pushed the skip buton. I had my finger over the play button, waiting for the end of the commercial. This time it was on a show that I didn't notice any pixellation or other recording issues, so no support for my hypothesis above that it might be related to recording problems. It was not reproducible. I went back and fast forwarded through the whole program several times and I could not get it to happen again.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
jenkins4presiden

This is not a “documented feature.” I’ve owned various Tivo’s since 2000 (my first was the forty-hour standalone single tuner, model TCD240040) and I’ve had many Tivo boxes since. I’m familiar with Tivo functionality and I know how to use the remote control properly. I’m a diehard Tivo fan. In this case, I believe Tivo’s “documented behavior” is also a bug in the software.

I have had the issue since the fall release for sure and I think it may have even started before as philhu stated. For me, the issue occurs when I am playing back a standard definition (SD) program and it has not happened while I’m playing back a high definition (HD) program. It is not consistent, I cannot reproduce it, and I have not been able to pinpoint any particular program or time when it occurs. It is intermittent. I can press the fast forward button two times and release it. My Tivo will fast forward for one or two seconds. Then I notice what looks like a pause on the screen followed by a skip to the end of the program. I have a cable card installed and I have noticed it does not skip to the end when I fast forward while playing back an HD recording. It only happens when I am playing back an SD recording.

I have a Tivo Premiere, model TCD746320.
jenkins4presiden is offline   Reply With Quote