Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Boardwalk Empire -- Margate Sands OAD 12/2

Now THAT'S a season finale!

Harrow goes Taxi Driver on Rosetti's men. Nucky get's his payback on Gyp. Margaret "brings on her monthly" (that's a new euphemism to me), but still doesn't want to go back to Nucky.

JOOC were there mob wars in AC During Prohibition? The body count in thie episode was huge.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

Margaret can go away and stay away as far as I'm concerned.

The Atlantic City coroner earned his paycheck this episode.

Nucky screwed Rothstein with Overholt but I don't know why Andrew Mellon went along with it.

Too much peeing in this episode.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Family

Last week was so good and this one went out weak. Not a good season except for one or two great episodes.

Like Nucky at the end... I'm probably done.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Harrow saved the show this week. Nucky is now out from under all the guys in NY and can go back to doing his own thing. The way it ended - the new season could be a fresh start for everyone involved.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
... Margaret "brings on her monthly" (that's a new euphemism to me), but still doesn't want to go back to Nucky.
Doh! I thought she was bleeding from the "surgery."

Quote:
JOOC were there mob wars in AC During Prohibition? The body count in thie episode was huge.
Capone definitely littered the streets of Chicago with bodies like that.

Was Nucky's plan to take out all of Gyp's guys with just him and Eli with shotguns? And it never occurred to him to hire Harrow.

Who knew Gyp was an early Google pioneer?

More importantly, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CUTE DOG?

It's entirely possible that Gillian is still alive. That dose of H didn't directly kill Roger. He drowned.

Tol' ya that Gillian was sure she could control all men, even though she failed with every one except the Commodore and Roger.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I didn't follow the way that Charlie got ripped off with his H.

AR refused to get involved so they went to Joe Maserria for buy money.

Then AR sets up the fake buy which is a fake fed bust which is really AR stealing the dope?

Were they seeing if Charlie would give them up?

Then Joe gets all of the dope. I guess the point being that Charlie didn't get any profit from selling it?
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

From what I understood, AR ripped off Charlie and gave the dope to M and then made the deal with M to get his men back from AC (payment being the dope). This also falls in line with the deal AR made with Nucky for 99% control of the distillery which belongs to the dude with the stick up his bu..
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I didn't follow the way that Charlie got ripped off with his H.

AR refused to get involved so they went to Joe Maserria for buy money.

Then AR sets up the fake buy which is a fake fed bust which is really AR stealing the dope?

Were they seeing if Charlie would give them up?
Yeah, that confused me as well. And I'm still unclear whether the two 'feds' were dirty agents on Rothstein's payroll or whether they were Rothstein goons impersonating federal agents.

But either way, I'm not sure why Rothstein desided to wedge himself into the heroin business after first turning down Charlie's proposal. His original objection (stuff being too unsettles w/ Nucky and AC) hadn't been resolved even by the time of his reveal; much less when he set up the bust...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Yeah, that confused me as well. And I'm still unclear whether the two 'feds' were dirty agents on Rothstein's payroll or whether they were Rothstein goons impersonating federal agents.

But either way, I'm not sure why Rothstein desided to wedge himself into the heroin business after first turning down Charlie's proposal. His original objection (stuff being too unsettles w/ Nucky and AC) hadn't been resolved even by the time of his reveal; much less when he set up the bust...
It's also hazy how they got the rest of the stash of H, but I guess it's implied that Charlie gave it up when he's telling Meyer that he'll pay him back no matter what it takes. They also go into that meeting thinking that they're dead when they tell Joe they have no money and no dope.
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

So Nucky has pissed off everyone:

Maseria - All his men were killed
Rothstein - Giving him up to the Atty Gen
Torio - Taking Capone from Chicago and making his own deal with him

At least Chalky and Capone are now buddies.

Where does this leave Nucky next season....I guess the point was to show him starting from scratch again. He said he can't re-build in AC, so I wonder where....

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
Paperboy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003 View Post
So Nucky has pissed off everyone:

Maseria - All his men were killed
Rothstein - Giving him up to the Atty Gen
Torio - Taking Capone from Chicago and making his own deal with him

At least Chalky and Capone are now buddies.

Where does this leave Nucky next season....I guess the point was to show him starting from scratch again. He said he can't re-build in AC, so I wonder where....
Yeah, I don't thik that Masseria thought that calling off his men would get them all killed anyway. I guess that was Nucky's way of telling Joe that Nucky was not to be messed with again - which is what he told teh guy that killed Gyp to tell Joe. BTW was that guy the Gyp goon who watched his cousin's head being popped?

I think Rothstein just lost the distillery, which, watch, will go back to Nucky. I dunno how they could have gotten the still up and working that fast anyway.

Al has no problem with Torio. He loves the guy.

At the end Al and Chalky still couldn't shake hands.
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just came across the real story of how the IRS got AL Capone - and it was Frank Wilson who done it. Eliot Ness had nothing to do with it.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Historical-Do...apone,-Chicago

I just saw on "The Real Story" how Eloit Ness himself was really mad about the fictions in "The Untouchables."
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Good stuff!

Hopefully Margaret is gone for good.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Harrow goes Taxi Driver on Rosetti's men.
It seemed like there were too many of Rosetti's men. Rosetti said he had nine of his own guys. But I counted twelve guys that Harrow took out, and then there were a couple who got away, plus the one who stabbed Rosetti.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

Richard should have washed his face between the Artemis club and his girlfriend's house. It's not like he didn't know some guy blew up on his face. I also didn't get why cranky, old, a-hole dude was all of a sudden nice to Richard, Tommy and his daughter.

I really wish they'd get some elevator shoes for Capone. He's too huggable to be so gangsta.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
It seemed like there were too many of Rosetti's men. Rosetti said he had nine of his own guys. But I counted twelve guys that Harrow took out, and then there were a couple who got away, plus the one who stabbed Rosetti.
Wait, did Gyp have 9 guys left, or had he lost 9 guys?

I though (but don't have the recording handly to check) that it was "lost" 9. But maybe I got those mixed up. I know he was making the point that it wasn't just the borrowed out of town muscle that was getting killed. (IOW he wasn't expending them to save his own crew)
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Wait, did Gyp have 9 guys left, or had he lost 9 guys?
"And how many of my men you have left...exactly?"

"31...plus nine of my own."

"So, 12 of my men, you lose..."
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
gschare

I thought last week was much better. Capone's line at the end was one of the best TV lines ever in my book. Tonight everything was too easy and clean (in a bloody, high body count sort of way). I'll be back next season though.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
su719

Quote:
Yeah, I don't thik that Masseria thought that calling off his men would get them all killed anyway. I guess that was Nucky's way of telling Joe that Nucky was not to be messed with again - which is what he told teh guy that killed Gyp to tell Joe. BTW was that guy the Gyp goon who watched his cousin's head being popped?

I think Rothstein just lost the distillery, which, watch, will go back to Nucky. I dunno how they could have gotten the still up and working that fast anyway.

Al has no problem with Torio. He loves the guy.

At the end Al and Chalky still couldn't shake hands.
Nucky used Overholt to lure Rothstein in to making the deal with Masseria to take his men from Gyp. Then he kills Masseria's men on their way back to send a message to Masseria that it was a bad move messing with Nucky and backing Gyp. He uses Andrew Mellon (US Attorney General) to possibly arrest Rothstein for bootlegging to tell Rothstein that it was a bad move for you to not back me when you had the chance and left the room in Atlantic City. It also helps Mellon who has been under pressure to arrest more bootleggers

Torrio has been slowly turning over the empire to Capone. You can see this with the episodes that Torio goes to Italy and comes back with Capone handling most of everything. This is how history did happen. So Nucky's deal with Chicago was with Torio's blessing.
su719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Now THAT'S a season finale!

Harrow goes Taxi Driver on Rosetti's men. ...
Yeah, Taxi Driver but it was bit of Will Munny.
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
jradosh
Newlywed

Good summation su719

Next season I look forward to seeing what comes out of Chalky's deal with Nucky to get a nightclub on the boardwalk. That should make a great backdrop/setting.

I thought the wrap-up with Chalky/Capone was a little to cut-n-dry.

I wish there'd been a reaction shot of AR when he discovered that he bargained for 99% of nothing. Same with Masseria when he found out his men were ambushed.

I didn't care for the "loose threads" they left hanging. Is Gillian going to live? (assume yes) Is Richard going to clean up and go back to his girl? Those endings were unsatisfying.

And YES... too much pissing!

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I was very disappointed with how they killed Gyp. I wanted him to suffer more!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Good summation su719

Next season I look forward to seeing what comes out of Chalky's deal with Nucky to get a nightclub on the boardwalk. That should make a great backdrop/setting.

I thought the wrap-up with Chalky/Capone was a little to cut-n-dry.

I wish there'd been a reaction shot of AR when he discovered that he bargained for 99% of nothing. Same with Masseria when he found out his men were ambushed.

I didn't care for the "loose threads" they left hanging. Is Gillian going to live? (assume yes) Is Richard going to clean up and go back to his girl? Those endings were unsatisfying.

And YES... too much pissing!
Gillian lives. Richard remains a key part of the story. There is an interview with the show runner that is linked over at AVS that is explains a lot and ties up loose ends and gives hints of what is to come.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-from-season-3
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Sadara
huh?

I think my favorite character in the whole show is Richard.

I'm glad they didn't have the ex-Fed that's now living in Chicago in this episode. His whole line of the show was off and never seem to fit in to me.

Other than all the pissing (which I totally took as a metaphor) I'm pretty happy with how things ended up. I'll be back for next season!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
See, I'd completely forgotten about VanAlden until I read that piece. Goes to show how "important" his character's story was.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

I didn't miss van Alden at all but I wouldn't mind if he went full blown gangster next season under Capone.

For the life of me, I don't understand why Nucky still wants Margaret.

It'll be interesting how they handle Chalky's club next season. I doubt if he'd be allowed to own it in his name so Nucky will probably be the front man.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

For the life of me, I don't understand why Nucky still wants Margaret.
Remember the time frame this show take place in.... spouses rarely divorced and most men had a view of women as being lesser than them or like property to some extent. Maybe not all men were like that, but society wise that was how it was seen. Nucky has already shown his concern about how it would look to be in business with Chalky or letting Chalky have a business on the boardwalk. I don't agree with that era at all, but this all probably says a lot about how things were back then.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
What is not satisfying is that Richard didn't seek out Gillian to show her how ugly he really was.

I was trying the remember at the start how Gillian went form being a burlesque showgirl to back living with the Commodore. I guess it was that he was supposed to be dying.

What she WASN'T is a madam. Her "skills" at that came outta nowhere.

Spoiler:
Gillian will live.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-from-season-3
We could still see Richard have his showdown with Gillian over Tommy.

UVerse and OTA

Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
What she WASN'T is a madam. Her "skills" at that came outta nowhere.
And took her nowhere.

As usual, she vastly overestimated herself. She always bets on the wrong horse, but the wrong horse she bets the most on is herself.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I was very disappointed with how they killed Gyp. I wanted him to suffer more!
This. I think it would have been much better if Gillian had succeeded in killing Gyp during the asphyxiation scene, and Nucky walks in and he's dead already. I like it when Gillian and Nucky batter, and that would have given her a bit of a power play.

I like the season finale, but I agree, it didn't have the suspense of the two episodes before, because somehow we knew Nucky would win, it was just how. The season for me started off very slow but definitely picked up about halfway when the Gyp vs. Nucky battle was set. I think around the time that Gyp moves into the seaside town and bullies the townsfolk was when it picked up. Gyp was a great villain.

As for Margaret, I think that Nucky wants to make nice with her, because she knows a lot of his secrets AND is a vindictive type. So, if she's pissed off enough at him, she can make a LOT of trouble for his business. But, I also think that deep down Nucky loves her.

Still, I agree, she could leave the show, and I wouldn't miss her. As for Van Alden, while his character at this point is useless, I still find him interesting because he's kind of like Gyp in a way. You just never know what he's going to do. I think they need to find a way to write him back into the main story. Capone's guy would work I think.