TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
VegasVic
Craps Player

I just hope at some point Hannah doesn't get Dexter on the table. Too predictable. Especially if that's how the series ends. I wish the Hannah storyline had wrapped up.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
lew

It's fiction. In the Dexter universe autopsies don't see seem to be needed if the blood spatter expert, and detectives on the scene, can figure out what happened without it. or In the Dexter universe the medical examiner is lazy and or incompetent. Want a different "solution". Estrada's gun becomes a shotgun and is more then enough to cover damage from the knife.

Some interesting comments from the producers. I'll spoilerize it but it reflects what they might do. They haven't made a decision. They don't even know if next season will be the last season. The final decision may cause them to change direction of the show during the season.

Spoiler:
They'd like to bring Hannah back but don't have the actress under contract. They think Lumen is better off without Dexter in her life. Doesn't sound like she'll be back.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #33
Amnesia
The Question

From what I read, the idea that next season would be the last is coming from Showtime, not the producers themselves. But if the ratings next season stay as high as they've been, it wouldn't surprise me if the channel wanted to keep going (assuming of course that the major actors would want to continue for reasonable salaries)
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
After letting last night's finale sink in, I have come to the conclusion that I will not try to understand the details but will just be happy that they finally killed off LaGuerta. Now if only Hannah would've died, too... We need a fresh start next season.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
From what I read, the idea that next season would be the last is coming from Showtime, not the producers themselves. But if the ratings next season stay as high as they've been, it wouldn't surprise me if the channel wanted to keep going (assuming of course that the major actors would want to continue for reasonable salaries)
At the risk of saying the obvious. Showtime doesn't have commercials. Dexter doesn't lend itself to product placement. That means the money for Dexter has to come out of whatever budget Showtime has for original programming. My understanding is actors, even those receiving reasonable salaries, get a "bump" based on how long the show has been on the air. Keeping the show on, even for one extra season, might not make sense if it means a promising new series is lost.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
john4200

If the show does not get the details right, then it is not possible for people who watch carefully to draw the right conclusions and make correct predictions about what has happened or will happen. Being able to do such things is part of the enjoyment of a show like this for many people. Just saying "it is TV" or it is "fiction" is not a good argument for the show to get the details wrong.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Somewhere in the back of my head, I've been thinking that it is possible that Matthews has always known what Dexter is, what with his relationship with the family over the decades and all, plus he was the only one who also knew about Dexter's childhood situation. In my head it reads like 'he knows and doesn't have an issue with it, nor would he EVER tell anybody'.
This is my belief as well. The interactions between Matthews and Dexter this season seemed like Matthews wasn't so much interrogating Dexter as he was tipping Dexter off to LaGuerta's suspicions. He also tried repeatedly to convince LaGuerta to back off. I think Matthews has known all along and doesn't mind Dexter's killing off of the bad guys.

Now, what about killing an obviously innocent person, LaGuerta? I don't think Matthews would have a problem with that either. She seriously F'ed up his career. She was a threat to Dexter. She was encouraged repeatedly to back off, but didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel
The Dexter killing serial killers and the season Big Bads was getting stale for me.
I missed there being a season-wide serial killer foe for Dexter this season. I think the other seasons have generally worked well that way. The only villain I truly disliked was Travis. I had Olmos pegged as dead from his first episode, and Travis just wasn't sufficient as a villain.

This season felt a little bit soap opera. Too many meandering subplots surrounding Hannah. Too much Deb/Hannah conflict. Not a whole lot of suspense. Not enough of Dexter running around killing people.

As far as the resolution, I'll bet they will return to the scene after the New Years party and frame it up exactly as described. Deb shooting LaGuerta through a wrench into the plan, but they'll figure out how to "fix" it.

Deb and Dexter have a decent alibi, the party. Now that LaGuerta is dead, there's nobody to aggressively investigate Dexter or Deb. LaGuerta already came off as obsessed with Estrada, it's believable that she further interacted with him and they killed one another.

Perhaps Matthews can somehow rejoin the department. If not, who will be the new captain? Maybe they can introduce a new character.

As an aside, I liked seeing Doakes again. He was my favorite supporting character of the series.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #38
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post

Perhaps Matthews can somehow rejoin the department. If not, who will be the new captain? Maybe they can introduce a new character.
It would probably mess with Deb's internal moral conflict even more if they promoted her into the spot. Assuming they get away with the killing without a hint of scandal she'd easily be considered for at least a temporary replacement.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
As an aside, I liked seeing Doakes again. He was my favorite supporting character of the series.
My memory of the first season is hazy, since I haven't rewatched since it first aired. How much of the footage of Doakes/Dexter from this episode was actual flashback to previously shot scenes, and how much (if anything) was new retcon footage with the actor returning to reprise his role?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
lew

I remember the Doakes clips as airing season 2. I don't think anything new was shot. I don't even think any footage shot but not previously aired was used.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #41
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
It would probably mess with Deb's internal moral conflict even more if they promoted her into the spot. Assuming they get away with the killing without a hint of scandal she'd easily be considered for at least a temporary replacement.
Moving her to that post has three problems:

1) She's even more unqualified to be captain than she was to be lieutenant

2) It removes her from the central location of the series. As soon as LaGuerta became captain, she pretty much disappeared from the spotlight and the moment she came back, she was promptly killed off.

3) Who would they make lieutenant? Quinn?
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #42
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I found the flashbacks distracting, almost like they had some time they had to fill.

BTW - I did read that season 8 would be the final season. (Don't remember where now.) But it seemed pretty conclusive. I could have sworn they also said they knew how it was going to end.

And to the point about budgets for shows, the main reason I subscribe to Showtime is for Dexter. I don't know if they can track this info, but it would be a reason to bring it back for a season 9. (Doubting it will happen, but you never know.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #43
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
If the show does not get the details right, then it is not possible for people who watch carefully to draw the right conclusions and make correct predictions about what has happened or will happen. Being able to do such things is part of the enjoyment of a show like this for many people. Just saying "it is TV" or it is "fiction" is not a good argument for the show to get the details wrong.
There are a ton of holes that aren't realistic to how real police operate. You happened to notice one. There have been a bunch of times during Dexter that I have said that doesn't make sense except to allow this plot line to develop, etc.

Just saying all these cop shows on TV are all fiction. They are very loosely based on how the police operate. They take lots of liberties. (The Wire is the one exception from what I understand.)

Even Masuka coming back with the results of the DNA evidence so quickly is a fiction. It doesn't matter. They needed it to move the plot. The whole timing of arresting Dexter before she had all her ducks in a row doesn't make sense.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
There are a ton of holes that aren't realistic to how real police operate. You happened to notice one.
WTF are you talking about? I noticed "one"? One what, exactly?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
Idearat

Quote:
And to the point about budgets for shows, the main reason I subscribe to Showtime is for Dexter. I don't know if they can track this info, but it would be a reason to bring it back for a season 9. (Doubting it will happen, but you never know.)
Once upon a time I'd cancel HBO when the Sopranos ended, start it back up when it came back.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #46
lew

Quote:
Just TV or just fiction is a "short cut" way of saying a show doesn't even attempt to be realistic. There are non-fiction shows which are generally accurate (Apollo 13), fiction shows which try to be realistic and shows like Dexter which doesn't see the need to get details correct because it's not that kind of show. Accuracy isn't an element of the show.

I don't think you can go more then a couple of minutes without finding something which isn't right. Viewers looking for accurate details probably can't enjoy a show like Dexter.

Getting DNA results faster then possible in "real life" is a technique to collapse the time line in order to tell a story better.

Last edited by lew : 12-19-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #47
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? I noticed "one"? One what, exactly?
Sorry. One detail that was off. I call that a hole.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #48
waynomo
My One Time

BTW - I suppose others noticed this message at the beginning of Sunday's broadcast. I thought this was pretty funny given the show Dexter is. I think everyone knows what they are getting into by watching it. I don't think the tragedy in CT would change that.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #49
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Getting DNA results faster then possible in "real life" is a technique to collapse the time line in order to tell a story better.
That is not the sort of detail I am talking about.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #50
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Exactly. It's convenient for the story. They certainly couldn't have Deb walk through the NYE's crowd with blood on her dress without arousing some suspicion. I am happy to go along with that ride to see where we end up.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #51
john4200

Quote:
Sorry. One detail that was off. I call that a hole.
WTF are you talking about?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #52
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
BTW - I suppose others noticed this message at the beginning of Sunday's broadcast. I thought this was pretty funny given the show Dexter is. I think everyone knows what they are getting into by watching it. I don't think the tragedy in CT would change that.

In order to avoid any type of spoiler for other shows...

Spoiler:
I'm surprised that message wasn't displayed before some other shows that had even more troubling images. I'll just leave it at that, if you know what I'm referring to.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #53
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Quote:
WTF are you talking about?
You were complaining about not getting the details right. I was pointing out that these shows all have a ton of holes (details not right) in them. I have no problem going were the writers/directors want me to go. That's just me.

Which detail(s) bothered you? I don't recall if you mentioned specifics or where just chiming in?

Did you watch The Wire? I haven't watched by my understanding it was a lot more realistic than most TV cop shows. (I do have the DVDs and plan to watch it.)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #54
john4200

Quote:
Which detail(s) bothered you? I don't recall if you mentioned specifics or where just chiming in?
You're hilarious.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #55
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
You're hilarious.
Please let me in on the joke.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
So Hannah has escaped. The orchid left at Dexter's door was definitely a signal for him. I wonder if the orchid has an unusual name to signal her intentions. Something with death implying she is going to try and kill him or find me and let's run away together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
The orchid was black. I wonder if that was some kind of death message. OTOH, I don't think she wants Dexter dead, but maybe still Deb. I think she will disappear to get off Deb's radar and sacrifice her relationship with Dexter because that's about the only choice she has. She knows that, Dexter knowing Deb will never be safe with Hannah around, she cannot be safe either.
It's the same flower she gave him at the beginning of the season and has been sitting on his desk, in his apartment, ever since. I think it was just a way for her to tell him she's out and still loves him. I don't think she has any intention of killing Dexter. Deb on the other hand... she definitely seems like the type to want to get the competition out of the way.

As for the whole end scenario... It was a little contrived. His original plan to stab Estrada and then shot him through the same hole was stupid. I'm sure they'd be able to tell there were two distinct wounds. Also the angles would have been all off. If he had shot LeGuradia with Estrada's gun with both of them on the floor, like he was lining up, it wouldn't have looked like they shot each other like he said. It would have been pretty obvious they were framed. And the way Deb shot LaGuardia on the ground would be pretty obvious as well. If they want it to be forensically feasable I think they'd need to get rid of the bodies, but with Deb calling it in and LaGuardia going after Dexter publically I'm not sure they could do that without serious attention coming their way. I'm actually wondering how they plan to make that work. If they hadn't shown them at the party at the end then they could have done all sorts of stuff, but with that ending they kind of backed themselves into a corner.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #57
john4200

Quote:
Please let me in on the joke.
Only someone who pays attention to details would get it.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #58
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Only someone who pays attention to details would get it.
I do get it now. That actually was pretty funny albeit unintentional. I subconsciously do that every now and then.

And I didn't say I didn't pay attention to the details. I just don't let them get in the way of me enjoying the program.

I am still curious as to which details bother you.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
tiams

Quote:

That warning doesn't even make sense. It is worded so it sounds like the show will contain graphic images BECAUSE of the CT tragedy.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #60
Cainebj

Jennifer Carpenter should be nominated for an Emmy already.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote