TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #61
Tracy
Truly

Katie isn't the one who kissed Jeff. That is Dawson. I think Katie is Miss something-or-another.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #62
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Which one was Katie? The one who laid a big smack on Jeff? If so, yeah, she didn't look like the same person to me either. But I didn't get too good a look at her during the reunion show.
No, that was Dawson. Katie was the former Miss Delaware who looked like this on on the island:

and she looked totally different at the reunion.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #63
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Watch out for Katie. She'll grab your boob and punch you in the face at the same time.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Where do the people who get booted but aren't on the jury go? I know they are still mostly sequestered, but it sounds like it was a big party too.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #65
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Here's a good interview with Abi.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...or-philippines

": I do not want to blame it on culture and I do not want to blame it on editing. I want to take it as a big girl. I did say those things and I did act poorly at times. Brazilians, we are intense and passionate people and we say how it is, but ... You know ... I do not want to blame my gameplay on my culture or on CBS editing at all. I want to take it.
"
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

": I do not want to blame it on culture and I do not want to blame it on editing. I want to take it as a big girl. I did say those things and I did act poorly at times. Brazilians, we are intense and passionate people and we say how it is, but ... You know ... I do not want to blame my gameplay on my culture or on CBS editing at all. I want to take it.
"
Seems like on one hand she's saying it's not cultural, and then she's saying...it is. Maybe it's just you Abi.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #67
Peter000

Quote:

": I do not want to blame it on culture and I do not want to blame it on editing. I want to take it as a big girl.
"
The fact that she still refers to herself as a "big girl" reveals her emotional (im)maturity.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #68
tiams

Quote:
I thought it was pretty awesome how Lisa kept her poise during that exchange. But by that time she had pretty much gotten over caring if anyone knew or not.

And it looked by the reactions on the jury (to me at least) that nobody really cared all that much. I doubt it influenced the vote one way or the other much.
When Penner started out by saying he and Lisa had become friends, etc. then he said should you tell them or should I and something about being ashamed, I thought Lisa didn't know what he was talking about because I didn't. I thought he was going to say something about a deal they had made or something. I didn't know he was going to out her, did everyone else know what he was getting ready to say?

I wish Jeff had pointed out Penner's acting career at the reunion.

When does the next season start? Feb.?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #69
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Seems like on one hand she's saying it's not cultural, and then she's saying...it is. Maybe it's just you Abi.
I think she was saying that generally Brazilians are that way. But as a Brazilian on the show you might have rein that in or you're going to piss people off. Culturally, she may be that way, but it doesn't have to define how you play the game. She let it, and her gameplay, crappy as it was, suffered even more.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
goMO

Penner is such a ******. he thinks he's so smart and insightful with his comments, and so cool with his stupid little hat. typical guy where as long as things are going his way, he's happy. ******.. i didn't like lisa that much, but there was no point of outing her.
and i don't get why Denise would've beaten Malcolm. he was calling the shots; not her. but i'll never understand how people vote at the end. its a game until they get kicked off; then its personal and they get all pissy..
oh yeah, penner's a ******...
goMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #71
laria
Librocubicularist

Malcolm says in his EW interview that Pete, Carter, and Penner decided before the reunion show that they were going to mess with Jeff and not raise their hands if he asked them if Malcolm wins.

No one, except maybe Denise, thinks that Denise would have won if Malcolm had been in the final 3.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #72
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The fact that she still refers to herself as a "big girl" reveals her emotional (im)maturity.
What's wrong with her calling herself a "big girl?" Haven't you ever heard someone say, "I can handle it, I'm a big boy?" It's a common phrase and doesn't mean that one views oneself as a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I wish Jeff had pointed out Penner's acting career at the reunion.
Why? What would be the point of that? Penner wasn't outing Lisa because she had been an actress. He was outing her because she had been successful. She was on 201 episodes of Facts of Life, which means that she's likely in the top 1-2% of all TV actors in history as far as career longevity and success.* He was trying to get people to think that she was rich from her acting career and therefore didn't need the money.

The fact that he's also done some acting is not even remotely the same thing. He's probably been paid SAG scale for most of his jobs and they've mostly been single appearances.

*Obviously, she was working at a time when actor salaries weren't as astronomical as they are now, so someone today who plays the lead for 2-3 seasons on a network show probably makes more than she did in 9 seasons, but that's a different discussion.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #73
WO312

Quote:
Sorry, Dude, have to disagree with you. Nothing wrong with that expression.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #74
laria
Librocubicularist

I thought it was interesting that they edited it to make it seem like Penner knew who she was right off, but it was really Denise who told Penner who she was.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #75
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Where do the people who get booted but aren't on the jury go? I know they are still mostly sequestered, but it sounds like it was a big party too.
I know i read somewhere awhile ago and it said they get to travel. That was many seasons ago but it does sound like they keep them together.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #76
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Malcolm says in his EW interview that Pete, Carter, and Penner decided before the reunion show that they were going to mess with Jeff and not raise their hands if he asked them if Malcolm wins.

No one, except maybe Denise, thinks that Denise would have won if Malcolm had been in the final 3.
Interesting quote from Malcolm in that interview:

Quote:
EW: Who performed the best at that final Tribal Council?
Deniseís opening speech was perfect. She did exactly what youíre supposed to do: Iím not apologizing for anything. I kicked your guysí ass. And right there she had it. Skupin wasnít good. Lisa also was really good. She was putting up a fight. And it was actually cool to watch. On TV for the past few episodes, sheís been in Machiavellian mode, but I didnít know that at the time. And her putting up a fight was the first time I saw her speak from a strategic standpoint. Lisa did do a good job, but our jury went into that thing knowing whom we were going to vote for. I will say Pennerís speech was the coolest thing Iíve ever been a part of in my entire life. We applauded. They didnít show it. The entire jury applauded when he was done with his little thing. It was awesome.

EW: Thatís an actor making good TV there.

Oh, he knew exactly what he was doing, but it was still so good.
Interesting that they all thought Penner did a good job at final TC. I like Penner, but I thought he came across as a rambling d-bag during his final speech. Other than the stuff about outing Lisa, the rest of it made no sense at all. I think that just shows how bitter the whole jury was that they saw what he was saying as some kind of heroic thing.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #77
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I thought it was interesting that they edited it to make it seem like Penner knew who she was right off, but it was really Denise who told Penner who she was.
Where did you see that? I don't remember any indication ever that Denise knew who Lisa was until Penner outed her at Final TC.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #78
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Sorry, Dude, have to disagree with you. Nothing wrong with that expression.
It's the way an adult talks to a little girl when they want them to stop crying. Calling yourself a "big girl" or "big boy" (except maybe ironically) certainly does say something about where you are at an emotional maturity level, at least from my experience.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #79
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Where did you see that? I don't remember any indication ever that Denise knew who Lisa was until Penner outed her at Final TC.
That's how I saw it. Denise gave an expression of surprise when Penner said that. Unless the surprise was that Penner was saying it at all.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #80
laria
Librocubicularist

It was in Dalton's interviews:

Lisa's interview:
Quote:
EW: And I didn’t realize until I spoke with Denise this morning that she is the one that actually told Penner about your past.
Yeah, in the mud challenge. Denise and I were there for an hour while the guys were negotiating and she said, “I recognized you immediately. I watched the show. Did anybody else recognize you?” And I told her Skupin, but I said it was really fun to play the game without being Blair or the perception of Blair and so she said, “Oh, I won’t tell anybody,” which of course lasted five minutes after she got out of the mud.
Denise's interview:
Quote:
EW: What were your thoughts when he outed Lisa’s past on The Facts of Life, and did you recognize Lisa and know about her past?
I did. I knew her from day one. And I confronted her with that when she was so lovingly pinning me in the mud during that challenge. We got the opportunity to talk and it was me strategizing in the mud, actually, and saying “Hey, does anyone know who you are?” And at that point she said, “No, and I’d like to keep it that way.” So I knew from the very start and then I actually told Jonathan when I went to Kalabaw.

EW: So he did not recognize her himself and it was you that told him?
He did not officially know what she had done. He knew he recognized her from something but he hadn’t placed her. So we were out on the boat one day fishing and chatting and I said, “Do you know who Lisa is?” and he went “No.” So it was actually me who told Jonathan. Michael knew from the start but Jonathan did not, and then he outed her at the end because nobody else had a clue.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #81
WO312

Quote:
It's the way an adult talks to a little girl when they want them to stop crying. Calling yourself a "big girl" or "big boy" (except maybe ironically) certainly does say something about where you are at an emotional maturity level, at least from my experience.
I guess we run in different circles.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #82
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Interesting quote from Malcolm in that interview:

Interesting that they all thought Penner did a good job at final TC. I like Penner, but I thought he came across as a rambling d-bag during his final speech. Other than the stuff about outing Lisa, the rest of it made no sense at all. I think that just shows how bitter the whole jury was that they saw what he was saying as some kind of heroic thing.
Yes, pretty sad.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #83
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
When does the next season start? Feb.?
Feb 13
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #84
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It is certainly used it at work occasionally - "time to put your big boy pants on and (do thing you have been avoiding) ". I think it is a legitimate phrase also.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #85
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
There isn't anyone on that list I want to see again. Fan favorites? Not this fan.
Hantz is the only name I even recognize, but I suppose I will when I see them.

Did everyone but those 2 vote for Denise? I thought sure Abi would vote Lisa
as the least of the 3 evils. I really would've liked to see Skupin win. He was so
proud of beating Malcolm in that final competition.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #86
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
But we did get the "Fallen Comrades" walk. Wow that's always fun.
That's funny, I think this is one of the most boring parts of Survivor. That's why I even recorded it onto my other recorder, so I could watch THIS section faster than realtime (and the reunion).. but I ended up watching the whole thing faster than realtime. (and watching something ELSE for long sections of time, since I did watch it all last night).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #87
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO View Post
Penner is such a ******. he thinks he's so smart and insightful with his comments, and so cool with his stupid little hat. typical guy where as long as things are going his way, he's happy. ******.. i didn't like lisa that much, but there was no point of outing her.
and i don't get why Denise would've beaten Malcolm. he was calling the shots; not her. but i'll never understand how people vote at the end. its a game until they get kicked off; then its personal and they get all pissy..
oh yeah, penner's a ******...
I'd say, by your writing style, that you just outed yourself as a young female ... maybe 20 yrs. or thereabouts ... high school education ... a bit angry over a recent breakup ...
[/mentalist]

I agree with you ... I did not see why Penner felt compelled to "out" Lisa at the final tribal. I understand his thoughts about influencing the vote with the implication that she was well-off and didn't need the money, but that went against the character of "Penner" he had been portraying throughout the show. It made him come off as a "doosh" (misspelled to avoid the auto-censor feature).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #88
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Here is the list that I saw regarding the returning players for next season.

Spoiler:
Erik Reichenbach, Survivor Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites
Corinne Kaplan, Survivor Gabon
Brenda Lowe, Survivor Nicaragua
Andrea Boehlke, Survivor Redemption Island
Francesca Hogi, Survivor Redemption Island
Phillip Sheppard, Survivor Redemption Island
John Cochran, Survivor South Pacific
Brandon Hantz, Survivor South Pacific
Dawn Meehan, Survivor South Pacific
Malcolm Freberg, Survivor Philippines
Spoiler:

Cool to see Erik back...I like the idea that he was a fan in fan vs favorites 1, and now he gets to be a favorite in part 2. Lets just hope he's not so naive with his II this time.

Don't recall who Phillip is exactly, but I have this odd feeling I couldn't stand him the first time around. And didn't Penner throw out a reference to him at the final TC about how many votes he got? --- ok, just looked him up...he's the self proclaimed "federal agent" with the pink undies. Yep, not sure how he was anybody's "favorite".

Cochran - I sort of like him first time around. Everyone gave him crap for flipping on his tribe, but come on...he wasn't just at the bottom of the pecking order....they outright treated him like crap.

Brandon Hantz - seriously? He was anybody's favorite? ok.

Malcolm is cool to have back, though it's going to be another Russell Hantz situation, where nobody really knows quite what to expect.

As for the other 5, no clue who they are off the top of my head.

As for this season, I was really rooting for Penner up until he was booted, but man, what a piece of trash.

I was a bit surprised at Malcolm's bitterness towards Denise, especially when he had already arranged to backstab her, and she was only trying to protect herself. It's not as if he said "lets vote for Lisa" and she said "ok". But I guess I'll give him a pass in that, as the last person voted out, he only had 24 hours to reflect on it before FTC.

I was expecting Jeff to be quite bitter, so I was pleasantly surprised to see he wasn't.

Abi: "I don't believe that out-disrespect is one of the core values of Survivor". Well, duh. If it were, you would have won.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #89
WO312

You know, I've been plenty harsh about the reaction of the jury members, and I know we all say it's just a game, lighten up, but it got me to thinking - it's easy for us to judge them, but how would each one of us react if we were THIS close to winning ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Pretty powerful emotions at play.

Just being on Survivor gets you this close, but being among the last 6 or 8 or 10 gets you THIS close.

But yes, Penner is still a jerk.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #90
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
What was up with Malcolm's "Stop! Don't nod your head!" thing to Denise?
I think that's the kind of thing therapists do when you're analyzing someone - maybe some kind of reassuring or showing you're listening thing or something - and he just wasn't having any of it. And I cracked up a little when a few seconds later it looked like she caught herself about to do it again.

I would have thought Malcolm would have been more angry at Lisa and Skupin after they made that pact on the boat, but he sure seemed upset with Denise.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote