TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
DouglasPHill

American Guns - Discovery Channel

I'm a little bit of a gun collector, this show was great. I do not like the manufactured drama. I know, all of these reality shows have to have their drama. "If you don't have this cylinder manufactured in two hours, we're going to lose the business." blah blah blah

Without any drama, this is still a fantastic glimpse into gunsmithing and collectables.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Rich Wyatts business is located in my area. He has a very, shady reputation in the local community. (Just google him and see) He's way over the top puffing up his supposed skills.

I really don't care for how he seems to be pimping his wife and 16 year old daughter's boobs to drum up business and ratings. But maybe they always wear those skimpy tank tops wherever they go.

I've been a shooter for 40 years and never once shot something that exploded. But I guess it makes good TV. To me it's just embarrassing. Just awful.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Worf

Huh. Discovery having two shows about the same thing?

(We have "Sons of Guns", but it appears to be a different show with different characters and a different business. It's also about gunsmithing...). Guess they need some contrast, though it seems very un-Discovery to have two nearly-identical shows.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
jeepair

Nobody would sell a BAR for just 10k and 10 ounces of silver worth 300-400 dollars. A BAR Should sell for 17-20k easily. 10k is a joke. If it was a C&R then it is even higher, around 25-28k.

I think they also made it look/appear that he took it back to his shop but you can't do that with Title II / NFA weapons. Takes 1-4 months for the transfer depending on how quick ATF works.

The engraving the son did looked good. He's definately got a talent there.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
DouglasPHill

I wonder how much of this show is staged. For instance, the son messing up the engraving just looked so planned. Glad the daughter had a very minor role in this one. The guns are great. I have always wanted a pistol just like the one they made, modern but looks like it was in the old west. One thing I would like is a little more info, they take this big block of steel and cut the parts out of it. How was the original gun made back in 1863, same, different? How does Colt make similar guns now? Just curious, does Colt start with a block of steel or do they have some other process? And one more thing, get rid of the explosions.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
jeepair

I was thinking the same, how did they make them back in 1873? No such thing as a milling machine back then and I don't believe they were cast.

10k for that and 15k for the other already made one? Unless its original I can pickup a replica for probably under 2k. I paid around 500-600 for my Vaquero 45LC. Ruger's site says "Since its introduction in 1993, the RugerŽ VaqueroŽ has dominated the cowboy action shooting world and earned its reputation for rugged reliability due to its strength and mechanical superiority."

I'm guessing 100% staged.

Explosions are cool, but they went way overboard with those. Just a 1/2 or 1 pound tannerite would be sufficient as long as they are at least 100 yards away.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
vertigo235

When the Son messed up on the engraving, I knew that shot was staged, but I guess it is possible that they re-inacted the screw up for the camera.

Seemed really fake though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
jeff92k7

Between the two gun shows on Discovery, Sons of Guns is the only one I still have a SP to record. As has been said already, there's too much about this one that feels staged. It comes off to me as an hour long commercial for his shop.

This guy is all about making himself and his shop look better to make more money. Will, on Sons of Guns, seems more like he tolerates the cameras and that the show is secondary to actually running the business. Plus, Will doesn't pimp out his daughter. That 16 year old needs to put more clothes on...it's just totally inappropriate.

Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
Worf

They barely tolerate the cameras on Sons of Guns. Heck, Sons of Guns has been a curse - Red Jacket apparently has too much business now and Stephanie is swamped with work.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
DouglasPHill

This weeks show was good. No daughter Hand cannon
Pink 1911 It was neat to see them paint it, who would have
thought? But pink!!!!!!

I wonder if the dollar amounts when he makes those big deals, are bogus? Just for show. I mean think about it, from the sellers perspective, do you really want a camera crew and a national audience see you collect $50gs?
Can anyone say, "hello mister IRS agent?"

Wife is pretty hot, would love to see her in a shower scene.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
"

Wife is pretty hot
If you're into silicon. Nagging/whining is never attractive.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
They barely tolerate the cameras on Sons of Guns. Heck, Sons of Guns has been a curse - Red Jacket apparently has too much business now and Stephanie is swamped with work.
Red Jacket has never been an efficient business. They've been around a while and are well known to people that like AKs. They make decent guns (not the best..but far from the worst) but can be very slow at times. Not surprising a show like this would saturate them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
pmyers

I just started watching this show AND Sons of Guns. I enjoy both but tend to like SOGs better.

But why did you all have to spoil it by telling me that daughter is only 16?!? Now I feel dirty! LOL
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Worf

Looks like Discovery Canada is going to carry it - they have this program where you can vote on shows and American Guns is being introduced.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
As has been said already, there's too much about this one that feels staged. It comes off to me as an hour long commercial for his shop.
Completely, but some of the things they do show are cool.

I still watch it, there isn't much in the way of gun shows on mainstream tv.

I'd really like to see a show showing normal purchasers looking for their first gun, getting training etc...
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
Donbadabon
Geocacher

For me, American Guns has slowly pulled ahead of Sons of Guns. I enjoy both shows, but Rich is a more personable person than Will. Will comes off as a dick to me.

Plus I love the way Rich bargains with folks for their guns. He not only brings you the cash (in his own helo), but he takes the time to learn something about the seller, and brings along an item to throw in to sweeten the pot.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
...Plus I love the way Rich bargains with folks for their guns. He not only brings you the cash (in his own helo), but he takes the time to learn something about the seller, and brings along an item to throw in to sweeten the pot.
I agree...but even that seems staged. He just happens to have a $3k hunting knife in his bag?

I did like when he pulled off his Rolex the one time.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Hansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
For me, American Guns has slowly pulled ahead of Sons of Guns. I enjoy both shows, but Rich is a more personable person than Will. Will comes off as a dick to me.

Plus I love the way Rich bargains with folks for their guns. He not only brings you the cash (in his own helo), but he takes the time to learn something about the seller, and brings along an item to throw in to sweeten the pot.
I have not seen a scene in the show that did not looked staged, down to the wife and daughter's clothing.
Hansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
pmyers

Did anybody see the ep of AG where they put 2 Walthers under the frame of a "James Bond" car?

Certainly that can't be legal, right? At the very least I'd think you would need a CCW license or something.

Them customizong that hunting rifle to the disabled vet was pretty dang cool though!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
DouglasPHill

As long as the Walthers aren't loaded, should be legal.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
pmyers

Just saw this on TMZ regarding SOGs:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/23/sons-o...yden-firearms/
Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers
Just saw this on TMZ regarding SOGs:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/23/sons-o...yden-firearms/
That's interesting.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
Tivortex
Cherished Member

I can't even begin to say how bad I think both of these show make regular gun owners look. I don't see how anyone who knows much about firearms can stand watching them because they are so full of inaccurate and unsafe information.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #24
RandomTask

I happened on this yesterday. Since when does cleaning a gun become a giant deal? They had a whole segment in the daughter learning to do a "DCOA" (disassemble , clean, oil and assemble ) on a 45 auto. Seriously, if you carry, you should already know how to do that. I'm also not cool with the the owner hanging his daughters boobs out as part of tv show. We have a name for those kinds of girls.
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #25
pmyers

That DCOA did look amazingly tough and seemed to be a ton of tiny little parts. I'm not a gun person but when I've seen other guns stripped down, there did seem to be a LOT less parts than that 1911.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #26
vertigo235

She's only 16, maybe she's never really actually had a real interest in the guns, but now that the cameras are around she's more interested.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #27
Gary McCoy

Although I love the weapon, the 1911 is a century old auto pistol design just this year. It was absolutely the best large bore auto pistol design for much of that century. But it does indeed have more little parts than more modern designs, and a lower reliability than something such as a Glock because of it. However, a century of accumulated gunsmithing experience tweeking and tuning the 1911 means that it is still a good choice today for anything you need a gun to do. If you add a lot of aftermarket parts to a Glock for example, you can seriously compromise the reliability of the factory weapon - I have even seen aftermarket polymer frames shatter during usage. When the Glock is a century old, we will know a lot more about tweeking the newer design correctly.

As for the daughter on American Guns, I have observed that both her and her mother dress in revealing clothes and wear lots of makeup. Which means she IS being parented. Nor is such revealing clothing unusual or indicative of low moral standards in Colorado or actually in any of several Western US states - it's in fact pretty common in such areas, especially in the Summer. But people from more conservative parts of the US such as New England and the American South should not make assumptions about morality based upon standards of dress in areas other than their own. Just because revealing dress has a certain connotation where you live does not mean that it does everywhere.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Hansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
As for the daughter on American Guns, I have observed that both her and her mother dress in revealing clothes and wear lots of makeup. Which means she IS being parented. Nor is such revealing clothing unusual or indicative of low moral standards in Colorado or actually in any of several Western US states - it's in fact pretty common in such areas, especially in the Summer. But people from more conservative parts of the US such as New England and the American South should not make assumptions about morality based upon standards of dress in areas other than their own. Just because revealing dress has a certain connotation where you live does not mean that it does everywhere.
The only assumption that needs to be made is that the mother and daughter (which I believe is a step-daughter) are being provocatively dressed for the show.
Hansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #29
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
That DCOA did look amazingly tough and seemed to be a ton of tiny little parts. I'm not a gun person but when I've seen other guns stripped down, there did seem to be a LOT less parts than that 1911.
Well there is field stripping and detail stripping. Field stripping is separating the frame from the slide and removing the barrel and spring, basically it's in 4 parts at that point. Then you clean it, oil it, reassemble and it's ready to go for next time.

Detail stripping is breaking it completely down so everything; hammer, trigger, locking block, sear, trigger bar, etc..., are in pieces. You only do that once in a while, to inspect and re-lube all the inner parts.

You're looking at ~40-50 total parts in a 1911 or hammer fired pistol to ~25-30 in a striker fired like a Glock or M&P.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
Gary McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansky View Post
The only assumption that needs to be made is that the mother and daughter (which I believe is a step-daughter) are being provocatively dressed for the show.
Nope. The mother/daughter share the general dress of the females you see in the store or town. Blue jeans and tight tops and cowboy hats ARE the female standard of dress for the area. I don't know about the step daughter part, I just know that Renee and Paige look a great deal alike - same figure, bust, and hair color.