TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #211
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I'm watching on Netflix, no disc swapping!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #212
billypritchard
Embiggener

Just make sure you watch Buffy then Angel on a single night, just like you would have on the WB in 1999!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #213
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I've watched a bunch, and season 3 is getting better.

S03E06 Band Candy - B
S03E07 Revelations - B
S03E08 Lovers Walk - A
S03E09 The Wish - A
S03E10 Amends - B
S03E11 Gingerbread - B
S03E12 Helpless - A

Band Candy had some funny moments and started to establish the Mayor as a real big bad.

Revelations had some good tension, a character twist, the Angel reveal, more Xandar being a jackass, and a good final battle.

Spike! He elevates every episode and his speech in the Magic Shop was great. Finally Xander and Willow are found out.

Anya arrives and introduces us to a much darker Sunnydale. Vamp Willow, pet Angel, Buffy without a soul, and Giles hoping anything is better than this. I like how this episode highlights that Buffy trying desperately to live a normal life with friends and loved ones is what is her real strength.

Amends I wanted to like a lot more than I did. I almost gave it a C, but it was a pretty good scene between David and Sarah at the end. Oh, and when Angel went to see Giles was also good. But I still think any explanation they attempted for why Angel was back was weak other than they wrote themselves into a corner and had to bring him back for a spin-off show.

Gingerbread was solid.

Helpless was great. Buffy's vulnerability and Giles betrayal, really such good stuff this episode. Oh, except Cordy ruined the scene with Buffy and Giles. Normally her humor is a nice relief, but this time, it was too out of place in such a serious moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #214
jehma

I love The Wish.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #215
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Also, it's been fun seeing how many times Harmony and Jonathon pop up over the first three seasons.

And I keep forgetting to mention Principal Snyder! I was so excited when he was introduced. He cracks me up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #216
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
And I keep forgetting to mention Principal Snyder! I was so excited when he was introduced. He cracks me up.
You might say that you like him so much you could eat him up...
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #217
Zevida
witless and unarmed

S03E13 The Zeppo - A
S03E14 Bad Girls - B
S03E15 Consequences - A
S03E16 Doppelgangland - A

Usually I reserve my A ratings for episodes that pack a real emotional punch and those are usually part of bigger arcs, and as much as I've been hating on Xander, this episode is just too hilarious. From the pacing to the music to the radical shifts in tone between Xander's story and the other story (especially when we shift from Xander to Buffy and Angel's emotional scene), it really is some great film making. Also, fun to see Michael Cudlitz (now starring in Southland).

Bad Girls had some good moments, but I felt my attention wandering. Loved we finally got the Wesley introduction. I don't care for the Faith and Buffy as BFFs story.

Consequences packed some of that good emotional punch. I forgot how far Faith took things with Xander. Good work all around.

Doppelgangland is similar to The Zeppo in that the hilarity and radical shifts in tone are so great that for what is basically a standalone it really is a memorable one in the canon.

- billypritchard
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #218
Zevida
witless and unarmed

As I watched I wondered how much of this violence in a school they could get away with now. Buffy and Angel reenact a shooting in a school. Xander diffuses a bomb in a school. We know that "Earshot" had to be postponed due to school violence around its air date.

I don't watch any other supernatural teen shows or movies to know how much violence they have in schools. I don't think you could do that now, but I wonder if they are and I'm just not watching.

It's amusing watching Cordelia and Wesley fawn at each other knowing how those characters develop.

- billypritchard
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #219
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Band Candy had some funny moments and started to establish the Mayor as a real big bad.
Buffy's double take in Band Candy is one of the funniest moments in the series.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #220
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Consequences - one of my favorites.

Willow: "I don't need to say 'oh', I got there already."

Then her crying in the restroom. Breaks my heart every time. Cemented my undying devotion to Alyson Hannigan.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #221
hummingbird_206

I am so far behind on my rewatch. Weather here has been sunny (though cold) and I've been getting out a lot to enjoy the sunshine.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #222
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Finished Buffy season three. Started season 4 and watched the Angel premiere too.

I think I remember why I never got into Angel. This whole "save the sad pretty girl" stuff is dull. Is there a point it gets more away from this and towards demon fighting? I watched off and on in later seasons and I think it gets there eventually. Maybe?

- billypritchard
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #223
john4200

Quote:
Is there a point it gets more away from this and towards demon fighting? I watched off and on in later seasons and I think it gets there eventually. Maybe?
Sure, lots of demon fighting in Angel. I think Angel is the better show actually.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #224
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I'm way behind on my reviews.

Finished Season 2.

S0217 Enemies - A
S0218 Earshot - B
S0219 Choices - B
S0220 The Prom - A
S0221 Graduation Day: Part 1 - A
S0222 Graduation Day: Part 2 - B

Season 2 - A

I was probably a little generous on some of those grades because I don't remember them so clearly. Enemies has some nice surprises and good emotional impact. Earshot - wow! Xander makes a joke about how doesn't everyone dream of shooting up the school with an AK47 (or something like that). You sure couldn't say that on TV today. Choices was good but not great. The Prom has some of the worst make-up and costume jobs ever on those hellhounds but gets a big fat A for Jonathan's speech which makes me cry every damn time. Graduation Day I preferred the emotion and tension of the first half along with the Buffy and Faith fight. The second half had some good moments, but it wasn't as powerful as the first IMO.

I wasn't sure about a final grade for season 3. I almost thought I should go B because it is not as good as season 2, but knowing what's coming the rest of the show, this season deserves an A too.

And now underway with season 4.

S04E01 The Freshman - C
S04E02 Living Conditions - C
S04E03 The Harsh Light of Day - B
S04E04 Fear, Itself - B

Once again we start the season with Buffy feeling isolated from her friends. I don't really like episodes where the Scoobies aren't getting along and Buffy is feeling weak. The next episode just annoys me that yet again (a regular issue throughout the series), the Scoobies don't believe they slayer and she turns out to be right. Things pick up a little bit in the Harsh Light of Day, because how could it not with Spike back. Add in Harmony, some good Xander and Anya action, and it elevates itself over crappy Parker. Fear, Itself is a pretty good Halloween episode with a funny climax.

I was going to try to watch Angel too, but I really don't like that pilot at all. Not sure I want to bother.

Also, I never got all the hate for Riley. I loved him and was really bummed when he left the show. He's smart, kind and handsome.

- billypritchard
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #225
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Also, I never got all the hate for Riley. I loved him and was really bummed when he left the show. He's smart, kind and handsome.
I thought he was boring. And he wasn't Angel.

The episode where Angel kicks his ass is one of my faves. I could watch that scene over and over.

Spoiler:
The Yoko Factor. "You never train with me anymore. He's going to kick your ass."

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #226
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Sure, lots of demon fighting in Angel. I think Angel is the better show actually.
Significantly better, in my estimation. (At least for a few seasons...) Angel had a more complex, adult feel to the stories. Part of that may be the female lead being Charisma's Cordy. Cordy had a adult aura, while Gellar's Buffy always seemed too child-like and very much the waif, in my opinion.

Plus, Angel's stories tended to be darker and less innocent than the Sunnydale plots. While both had quite a few moments of humor, the humor in Angel wa often a very nice suprise, giving the viewer some tension relief.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #227
cheesesteak
Meh.

I can't believe that I forgot all about Harmony.

Riley was like a mayonnaise on white bread sandwich.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #228
Eddief66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I can't believe that I forgot all about Harmony.
One of my favorite quotes is about her. It's from a future episode so I used spoilers.

Spoiler:
Harmony has minions?

Eddief66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #229
Zevida
witless and unarmed

S04E05 Beer Bad - C
S04E06 Wild at Heart - B
S04E07 The Initiative - B
S04E08 Pangs - A

Beer Bad wasn't as terrible as I remember. Not good, not bad. Wild I Heart I hate because I don't like that Oz left, but Alyson does some pretty great emoting and it was a good episode in spite of my dislike for the storyline. The Initiative was a fun reveal and had Spike back and we found out he's neutered. Riley bumbling around Buffy was entertaining. The Xander and Harmony fight was awesome. After Becoming Part 1, where Angel drinks Buffy, and then this episode where Spike tries to drink Willow, the vampire sucking blood = sex metaphor is firmly established, if it wasn't already.

Pangs I just love. Maybe it doesn't deserve an A, but Spike's dialog in this episode is so fantastic, I can't give it just a B. Really, just all the dialog throughout the episode. Giles and Willow fighting over the ethics of colonization was great. Buffy freaking out about being the perfect host and how to kill without killing the spirit. I really enjoy watching this episode.

I might switch back now and give Angel another shot, try to watch through the full first season and see if it hooks me.

- billypritchard
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #230
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

I might switch back now and give Angel another shot, try to watch through the full first season and see if it hooks me.
If you're not hooked by episode 9 of Season 1, then I'm not convinced that the show is for you.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #231
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
If you're not hooked by episode 9 of Season 1, then I'm not convinced that the show is for you.
That's the episode that made me stop watching during the original airing.

Spoiler:
I was really not happy they killed Doyle, so I stopped watching. Now that I know it happens, maybe I'll make it past that. I thought I saw the episode when Wesley arrived, and that comes after. I don't think I saw much else of season 1.

- billypritchard
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #232
Ozzie72

Zevida, keep going with Angel. I think you will appreciate it more and more as it goes on.

I tend to agree with others here that, on the whole, Angel was a "better" series than Buffy. By that I mean that it spent less time on monster-of-the-week episodes before spinning out the complex, overarching, character-driven storylines that Joss Whedon does so well. I think it really fired on all cylinders for 4 of its 5 seasons, with the occasional clunker ep like all series have.
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #233
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie72 View Post
I tend to agree with others here that, on the whole, Angel was a "better" series than Buffy. By that I mean that it spent less time on monster-of-the-week episodes before spinning out the complex, overarching, character-driven storylines that Joss Whedon does so well. I think it really fired on all cylinders for 4 of its 5 seasons, with the occasional clunker ep like all series have.
And a show of this type is defined by the quality of its bad guys. It is just tough to top a multi-national, ahem, multi-dimensional Evil with a capital 'E' law firm as the primary antagonist.

About Cordelia in the last season:
Spoiler:
I think it could have kept going for another few seasons if they had not had to mostly write Cordelia out.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #234
Ozzie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

And a show of this type is defined by the quality of its bad guys. It is just tough to top a multi-national, ahem, multi-dimensional Evil with a capital 'E' law firm as the primary antagonist.
I've joked with my best friend the lawyer that he needs to hang a shingle under the "Wolfram & Hart" name and see what kind of business he drums up. He, not being a fan, doesn't see the appeal. :P

I like to think that W&H was the trial run for the Alliance / Hands of Blue we saw in Firefly.
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #235
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I'm behind again! I need to start reviewing each night. This season especially, the episodes blend together.

S04E09 Something Blue - A
S04E10 Hush - A
S04E11 Doomed - C
S04E12 A New Man - B
S04E13 The I in Team - C
S04E14 Goodbye, Iowa - C

I enjoyed Something Blue because blind Giles and Buffy and Spike engaged are just too funny. And Alyson does some great acting in this one, poor Willow. Hush is one of the best of the show. The Gentlemen might be the best demon ever on the show. Amazing effects, make-up and costume and the music in this episode is incredible. The best of Buffy.

The three more Initiative-centric episodes get average grades. They weren't terrible, they weren't great. As I'm rewatching this season I think it has many episodes and stories that are some of the best of the show, but because the Initiative and Adam are some of the lesser big bads of the show, the season as a whole is downgraded. I'm enjoying it more than I thought and I know some good episodes are coming up.

A New Man deals with Giles' isolation from the group and changing dynamic post Sunnydale High. And of course we get Ethan back. I want to give this an A, but its not quite there.

Oh, the only downside to Hush is it introduces my least favorite character - Tara. With the shyness and the stammering and the ducking her head so her hair hides her, she's the exact opposite of the Scoobies, which I guess is good for variety for the writers, but man I found her dull and boring.

- billypritchard
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #236
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I've only made it through two episodes of Angel. I just don't have any interest in watching...maybe once I finish season five of Buffy. Or after the Buffy episodes with Faith, watch the Angel ones.

- billypritchard
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #237
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
I've only made it through two episodes of Angel. I just don't have any interest in watching...maybe once I finish season five of Buffy. Or after the Buffy episodes with Faith, watch the Angel ones.
Maybe Angel just isn't for you.

I found my interest in Buffy waned after its first 3 seasons, with Charisma heading over to the new Angel series. So I suppose it's just as possible that Angel might not be a Buffy fan's cuppa.

Of course, the first two eps hardly set the stage for any big bad yet.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #238
billypritchard
Embiggener

Especially comparing season 4 of Buffy to season 1 of Angel, there is a marked difference in format. Angel season 1 is highly Case-of-the-Week, with only some sprinkle of onware story towards the end. Maybe they are best watched separately.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #239
Zevida
witless and unarmed

When I started Buffy, I started mid season 2. I went back and watched season 1 eventually and loved it too because I love the characters.

I think if I jump ahead in Angel and try when the stories and characters are more developed that will help some.

- billypritchard
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #240
billypritchard
Embiggener

I was looking at the Angel episodes. You could skip ahead to ep 18/19, which feature Faith. Then the last three start to ramp up the continuing storyline. And 20 introduces a new series regular.

Interesting note. I see that Howard Gordon (24, Homeland) wrote several season 1 episodes. And Shawn Ryan (Shield, Terriers) wrote several season 2 episodes. Cool.