TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
quietfly

considering XL4 vs Premiere 4

So the wife has green lighted a new tivo to replace our 5year old tivo HD. I'm trying to debate the pros and cons of getting a XL4 Vs a Premiere 4. As it stands right now, the Premiere 4 is 221 and the XL4 is 375. a 2tb drive is around 89.00 making the cost of a premiere 4 an 2Tb drive about 310.

I see the pros of getting the Premiere 4 and additional drive as saving 50 ish bucks and having the original drive to fall back on in case of any issues. I see the Pros of getting the XL4 as everything being done and not having to worry about it .

any one have insight into this?

thanks!

-Quietfly
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you open the box and replace the drive you void the warranty. So you better be certain it's not defective before you do that.

Also with the XL4 you could buy an extended warranty. ($30 2 year or $40 3 year) If you plan to replace the drive then that's not an option as opening the unit voids the warranty.

Another option would be to add an external DVR expander to the regular 4. They only come in 1TB but they add to the 500GB in the unit, so you'd have 3/4 the same space. They're $100 so the combo would still save you $40 and save the warranty. The downfall to the expander is you now have two points of failure and two things sucking electricity.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Personally, I would do the 4 with the upgrade for the reasons you mention. There is a reason retailers push warranties- they are huge profit centers as boxes are very reliable and rarely fail. If you have the drive on the shelf- that is the best insurance of all.

I would just wait 30-60 days for the upgrade- get the cablecard paired correctly and get through the initial period when a defect is the most likely to show up.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The hard drive is the most likely point of failure, but the power supplies are also known to be a bit flaky. Although those typically die years down the road, not within the 90 day window, so unless you want an extended warranty it's not something you should worry about.

Dan
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
quietfly

thanks for the advise guys. I'm still not certain what i'm going to end up doing...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Get the XL4 and the 3yr extended warranty, You get the 2TB without any upgrade, plus you get the far superior (IMO) Glo Remote, where the buttons don't wear off so soon, the Glo Remote's button presses are more precise also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not sure it has much value but the XL4 also comes with a pair of blue filter glasses and a special THX video for calibrating your TV. I ran through it when I got my Elite and it did help the picture a little.

Dan
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

While the glow is nice, I would still stick with the self upgrade due to the availability of the backup drive and spend part of the savings on the slide. While discontinued, it is still the remote to beat.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you open the box and replace the drive you void the warranty. So you better be certain it's not defective before you do that.
Can they tell the Tivo was opened, if you reinstall the original drive before sending it back?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I haven't looked at a Premiere, but on older TiVos there was always sticker across the seal that would leave behind VOID if peeled off.

Dan
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Can they tell the Tivo was opened, if you reinstall the original drive before sending it back?
Yes, the logs will shows the HDD model #, and TiVo will inspect those logs prior to issuing an RMA. It might be possible if you replace the original HDD and do a Clear & Delete Everything prior to calling TiVo.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I haven't looked at a Premiere, but on older TiVos there was always sticker across the seal that would leave behind VOID if peeled off.

Dan
They haven't put those stickers on a TiVo in at least 6 years.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
quietfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
thanks for the advise guys. I'm still not certain what i'm going to end up doing...
Looks like i'm going to end up getting the premiere 4 and upgrading the drive.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
They haven't put those stickers on a TiVo in at least 6 years.
It's probably been that long since I cracked one open. In fact the last one I cracked open was a S2 I think. I just assumed they kept putting those on all units going forward.

That being said they can probably still tell by their records. The TiVo has to make a service call every day and it may report the drive size installed in it. So it's still possible that they can tell you opened it and reject a warranty claim. Not sure if they would or not, but they could.

Dan
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had a TiVo HD that had a 1TB upgrade in it. On the TiVo website, it showed up as a TiVo HD XL for years. Recently it changed back to normal. So there is some detection of drive size there, and apparently they can tell what size it should be.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
quietfly

So i ordered my XL4 today and ended up getting 99.00 lifetime (on my current s3) and 9.95 service on the xl4. I also asked for and received a free slide remote which i am very excited about. the XL4 comes with the free Ethernet MoCA bridge and MoCA POE Filter bundle. soi figure i can sell those for 30 bucks and end up making out ok.

all in all i think i got a great deal
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Do you not need the MoCa bridge? MoCa is really nice, and much better then any of the other alternative networking technologies, even better then wifi. So unless you have an Ethernet drop running right to your AV rack I'd suggest you try out MoCa before you sell off the bridge.

Dan
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
quietfly

Quote:
Sounds like you got a good deal.

Do you not need the MoCa bridge? MoCa is really nice, and much better then any of the other alternative networking technologies, even better then wifi. So unless you have an Ethernet drop running right to your AV rack I'd suggest you try out MoCa before you sell off the bridge.

Dan
I have cat5 running to every electrical drop in my house. When i rewired the house i ran the drops myself. so I don't really need the moca.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

No, in that case you do not.

Dan
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
So i ordered my XL4 today and ended up getting 99.00 lifetime (on my current s3) and 9.95 service on the xl4. I also asked for and received a free slide remote which i am very excited about. the XL4 comes with the free Ethernet MoCA bridge and MoCA POE Filter bundle. soi figure i can sell those for 30 bucks and end up making out ok.

all in all i think i got a great deal
Congratulations! You made a good choice IMO; I LOVE my Premiere Elite (aka XL4). Three months ago Comcast gave us six months of free HBO/SHO/STARZ and I now have a total of 95 feature movies (including 20 in the suggestions folder) sitting on my Elite's hard drive--which is still only 40% full! I love knowing that we can take our time and, failing a catastrophe, those movies will be available whenever we get around to watching them. And it's still a kick to see four red "recording" lights lit up simultaneously and not having to worry about overlapping shows. It's TiVo bliss!
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
quietfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
Congratulations! You made a good choice IMO; I LOVE my Premiere Elite (aka XL4). Three months ago Comcast gave us six months of free HBO/SHO/STARZ and I now have a total of 95 feature movies (including 20 in the suggestions folder) sitting on my Elite's hard drive--which is still only 40% full! I love knowing that we can take our time and, failing a catastrophe, those movies will be available whenever we get around to watching them. And it's still a kick to see four red "recording" lights lit up simultaneously and not having to worry about overlapping shows. It's TiVo bliss!
thanks i can't wait till it shows up!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
PatrickNSF

Congratulations. We just upgraded one of our HD to a Premiere XL4 and I'm liking all the changes so far. (Not happy that I can't move my unwatched HBO and Showtime shows, but that's another topic for another thread.)
PatrickNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I just got my wife a Premiere to replace her S3 and the inability to move her recordings for Dexter season 7 was a bit of a problem. She doesn't plan to watch it immediately so I told her if they don't do a marathon where we can re-record them then I'll find them through "other means".

Dan
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I've got an XL4 arriving today, so I'm sure I'll be posting first impressions here fairly soon. I've been emptying my original S3 of its shows (the XL4 is replacing the dying S3), and holiday time is the best time to switch boxes...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
PatrickNSF

So as not to hijack this thread, can someone point me to another thread where I can figure out the fastest way to transfer shows from an HD to a new Premiere? Right now, I'm copying everything over through our wired network but it's surprisingly slow.
PatrickNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
So as not to hijack this thread, can someone point me to another thread where I can figure out the fastest way to transfer shows from an HD to a new Premiere? Right now, I'm copying everything over through our wired network but it's surprisingly slow.
Wired ethernet is the fastest way to do it. Series 3 and earlier models didn't have very fast networking, so that's your bottleneck. The Premiere line is the first to do it well.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
jrtroo
User

Yes, you are hijacking, but I'll answer anyhow since this seems to be coming up more often. HD is slow to transfer, and is the bottleneck. Best you can do is to make sure it is tuned to channels that are not received. Speed increase is minimal, but will normally be around realtime.