TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
sterski

OTA Antenna AND Timewarner Basic Cable

I ended my cable TV contract with TimeWarner and returned the DVR. Just for curiosity, I plugged the left over coax cable direct into my TV and noticed I get clear reception of their "NY1" channel and TBS. How do I add these channels to my TiVo Premiere that's currently working with an OTA Antenna?
sterski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
tatergator1

The short answer is you don't. Since you cancelled cable, that would classified as theft of service.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Teeps

Connect the cable to the TiVo, then do the guided setup for the basic cable service.
That should work until TW puts a filter on the cable at the local source.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
sterski

tatergator1 > you're the kind of person I can't stand, responding to posts with NOTHING to add but just spewing your moral judgements out. Who are you to say that? Grow up and stop judging people. You're probably doing it because you feel guilty about something you've done yourself in the past.

Teeps > will give it a try - thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Since you cancelled cable, that would classified as theft of service.
Not the OPs problem. It is the cable co's resposibility to disconnect the service if they no longer want the OP to receive a signal of any kind.

Now if the OP had come in here and said "I went outside and removed a filter..."
THAT, I would consider theft of service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
mgbarton

This a major reason that the Cable Companies enthusiastically embraced digital cable transmission. There is no longer a filter. No need to roll a truck.

The channels that they are willing to let everyone access for free are broadcast un-encrypted. All the rest you need some form of decoder - either a Cable Settop box or a CableCARD. Both are under complete control from the headend - they can send a message to the decoder at any time and enable or disable any channel within moments.

So, feel free to plug the cable into your TiVo and direct it to do a channel scan off Cable. It will find everything being broadcast (encrypted and un-encrypted) - but most will be black screens. Just uncheck them in the Channels screen. Those that you can see - you should free to enjoy.
mgbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterski View Post
tatergator1 > you're the kind of person I can't stand, responding to posts with NOTHING to add but just spewing your moral judgements out. Who are you to say that? Grow up and stop judging people. You're probably doing it because you feel guilty about something you've done yourself in the past.
You are the one casting judgement.

I'm sorry that the truth is so bothersome to you. To be clear, I never cast any judgement on you. I stated a simple fact, receiving Cable television without paying for it is technically theft of service. Sure, Time Warner should have physically disconnected service by now, and may still eventually do so.

I never questioned your morality for taking advantage of the situation. Perhaps you are the one who feels guilty? My focus was on the legality of the action, not morality. Illegal does not always equal immoral.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
sterski

Done! It works - thanks for the tip Teeps and mgbarton. The channels are in SD, but nice addition all the same ;-)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
sterski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
You are the one casting judgement.

I'm sorry that the truth is so bothersome to you. To be clear, I never cast any judgement on you. I stated a simple fact, receiving Cable television without paying for it is technically theft of service. Sure, Time Warner should have physically disconnected service by now, and may still eventually do so.

I never questioned your morality for taking advantage of the situation. Perhaps you are the one who feels guilty? My focus was on the legality of the action, not morality. Illegal does not always equal immoral.
All well and good, but the bottom line is that you replied to a post with absolutely ZERO to add. I'm not saying you can't do that, because you're entitled to your opinion, but then so am I.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Teeps

Can't we all get along?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Can't we all get along?
Nope.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
spaldingclan

I've always wondered if I ran a coax line from the box in my garage for my Frontier FIOS (I only subscribe to their Internet and phone, no TV service) would I get any unencrypted channels?

has anyone tried this?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote