TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
mrsean

TiVo Stream for $110

Guys,

That slick deals site has info how you can get the TiVo Stream for $110 shipping and no taxes for most. Go there and search under the "hot deals" forum.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Link...
http://slickdeals.net/f/5617062-TiVo...Crutchfield-AC

The Stream is a cool toy if you have an iPad.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
moyekj

Mini is what I'm waiting for. I don't have any use for Stream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

TiVo Stream = no Android support = not interested.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
jaredmwright

Ditto, TiVo stream with no Windows 8 or Windows Phone support => not interested. TiVo needs to focus on all platforms.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
magnus
Tivo User

Yes, tivo stream without webOS support is a non starter for me.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yes, tivo stream without webOS support is a non starter for me.
LOL i thought they stopped development on that
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post

LOL i thought they stopped development on that
Yep they did but I just had to throw that in there. All this crying. So, I had to lighten things up. I guess everyone thinks that Tivo isn't going to get this done on Android at some point. I really can't imagine that they would not get it done.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
abqdan

I can't imagine watching a movie on my phone - a youtube video yes, but a full-length movie? That needs a 60" screen! Same with a tablet. The stream seems pointless.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdan View Post
I can't imagine watching a movie on my phone - a youtube video yes, but a full-length movie? That needs a 60" screen! Same with a tablet. The stream seems pointless.
Holding a 10" tablet 16" from your face produces an image easily the same size as a 60" screen across a room.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
iron maiden

The issue with Android is device and OS fragmentation and the user base. A good portion of Android users just want a cheap device and are not the target market for the Stream. The iOS demographic fits the Stream better.

It's all about limited development $ and time. TiVo is going to put their resources where they think they can get the biggest bang for their buck. And that is iOS, especially in the tablet space. Other than a Kindle Fire I can count on one hand the number of Android tablets I've seen in the wild.
iron maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdan View Post
It depends on your needs. The Stream has two features... The ability to stream anything from a TiVo to a phone/tablet within the home and the ability to download unprotected content for viewing outside the home.

I personally have uses for both. My wife will not allow me to put a TV in the bed room (to bright and loud and disturbs her sleep) but she's OK with me using my iPad on my night stand. Until the stream was released I either watched podcasts or, more often, I fell asleep on the couch watching my shows. Now I can watch real TV in bed and have not spent one night on the couch, which has been a LOT better for my back. I also travel occasionally. When I do I typically download a bunch of shows to my laptop via TiVoToGo. However the controls in Windows Media Player are clunky and make it hard to skip commercials. The controls in the iPad app are 8 second replay and 30 second skip, the same I'm use to on my real TiVo which makes it a breeze to watch TV on the road.

I also just ordered a new Premiere for my wife (she has a S3 now) so that she can use her iPad to watch TV while she's doing dishes or cooking. Normally she just blares the TV from the other room and listens to it. This way will be better for both of us.

Dan
Old 12-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron maiden View Post
The issue with Android is device and OS fragmentation and the user base. A good portion of Android users just want a cheap device and are not the target market for the Stream. The iOS demographic fits the Stream better.

It's all about limited development $ and time. TiVo is going to put their resources where they think they can get the biggest bang for their buck. And that is iOS, especially in the tablet space. Other than a Kindle Fire I can count on one hand the number of Android tablets I've seen in the wild.

do they hand out talking points at the fanbois fan club?

Seriously- wanh wanh wanh- do people wine that windows PC's have 4 billion different combinations? No they write code that works with most of 'em and deal with the outliers later. There's plenty of windows apps that require certain monitor sizes and just dont work on things outside the "norm"- that doesn't stop intuit from selling quicken (which, as an example, wouldn't scale to a "netbook" sized screen when those were the 'in' thing a couple years ago)

As you point out many of the people buying $35 colby tablets probably dont own a Tivo anyway. So Tivo could easily write a version optimized for moto, asus, acer, samsung and amazon tablets. Feel free to hide it from others in the market. Hec just publish a version for the Fire family (perhaps the biggest android sellers?) and then add the rest later.

Anyway- it's all irrelevant- the big issue is not that Tivo will prioritize IOS and aim for Android later- few disagree that makes financial sense. The issue most likely is that it's frustrating how slow they get anything done (for android, their website, the actual box UI, box apps, etc). There's android/windows/webos/Palm/etc developers who work by themselves who accomplish more in a weekend than tivo gets done in 10 months with what ever team or subcontractor they use.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Anyway- it's all irrelevant- the big issue is not that Tivo will prioritize IOS and aim for Android later- few disagree that makes financial sense. The issue most likely is that it's frustrating how slow they get anything done (for android, their website, the actual box UI, box apps, etc). There's android/windows/webos/Palm/etc developers who work by themselves who accomplish more in a weekend than tivo gets done in 10 months with what ever team or subcontractor they use.
+1

The wheels move REMARKABLY slowly at TiVo.

It is extremely unlikely the same programming team writes TiVo iOS apps as TiVo Android apps. It would be extremely unlikely and unwise to not also support at least the major Android devices for the Stream ( Android is 75% of the smart phone market NOW and projected to possibly match tablet share of iOS by mid 2013). The point being, TiVo could have launched BOTH platforms at the same time... unless they are so unsure of the Stream they are holding back due to possible failure and withdraw from the market.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

do they hand out talking points at the fanbois fan club?

Seriously- wanh wanh wanh- do people wine that windows PC's have 4 billion different combinations? No they write code that works with most of 'em and deal with the outliers later. There's plenty of windows apps that require certain monitor sizes and just dont work on things outside the "norm"- that doesn't stop intuit from selling quicken (which, as an example, wouldn't scale to a "netbook" sized screen when those were the 'in' thing a couple years ago)

As you point out many of the people buying $35 colby tablets probably dont own a Tivo anyway. So Tivo could easily write a version optimized for moto, asus, acer, samsung and amazon tablets. Feel free to hide it from others in the market. Hec just publish a version for the Fire family (perhaps the biggest android sellers?) and then add the rest later.

I wonder where all those developers were back when I wanted tivo desktop for the Mac or for all the other software that was PC only. It would seem that Android is in the same boat at this point. It's just not as relevant as iOS at the moment.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
+1

The wheels move REMARKABLY slowly at TiVo.

It is extremely unlikely the same programming team writes TiVo iOS apps as TiVo Android apps. It would be extremely unlikely and unwise to not also support at least the major Android devices for the Stream ( Android is 75% of the smart phone market NOW and projected to possibly match tablet share of iOS by mid 2013). The point being, TiVo could have launched BOTH platforms at the same time... unless they are so unsure of the Stream they are holding back due to possible failure and withdraw from the market.
There is a whole thread about this in the Stream forum, but basically the data shows that while Android does have a greater percentage of the market iOS users use their devices more and spend more money on apps and accessories. So while Android may technically have more users iOS users are still more likely to buy and expensive peripheral like the Stream.

Dan
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There is a whole thread about this in the Stream forum, but basically the data shows that while Android does have a greater percentage of the market iOS users use their devices more and spend more money on apps and accessories. So while Android may technically have more users iOS users are still more likely to buy and expensive peripheral like the Stream.

Dan
the statistics about Andorid people pay less for App's I'm not so sure is relevent- there's just so many more free high quality apps for android- there's very little barrier to entry for android developers but a higher level of effort to "publish" for apple.

BUT I totally agree accessories is a big indicator. But i don't think that's any surprise that your typical apple buyer has more disposable income- was true for apple II's, for macs, and now iphones, ipads, etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I wonder where all those developers were back when I wanted tivo desktop for the Mac or for all the other software that was PC only. It would seem that Android is in the same boat at this point. It's just not as relevant as iOS at the moment.
that's actually a great point- Tivo can't handle doing anything more than the ONE frontrunner os at any one point in time.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I will clarify that it is not that Android has just a "greater percentage" of the market, but in the smart phone arena, they have a HUGELY greater percentage... more than double.... almost triple. So even if just one in three Android phone users has a higher end device (my Evo LTE cost as much as an iphon) and is willing to pay more, that still makes the potential market just as high as the iPhone market. Tablets: a ways to go, still.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
that's actually a great point- Tivo can't handle doing anything more than the ONE frontrunner os at any one point in time.
I think it is nonsense. There are MORE developers for Android at this point. I seriously doubt TiVo is using their own developers for ANY of the mobile software, so their commissioning Android development is no more difficult than commissioning iOS development. A lot of good mobile development houses now do both, anyway.

Let us not forget they already have both phone and tablet Android software... it just needs to be updated, the same as they had to do with the iOS software.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I will clarify that it is not that Android has just a "greater percentage" of the market, but in the smart phone arena, they have a HUGELY greater percentage... more than double.... almost triple. So even if just one in three Android phone users has a higher end device (my Evo LTE cost as much as an iphon) and is willing to pay more, that still makes the potential market just as high as the iPhone market. Tablets: a ways to go, still.
Well the Stream is a device aimed mainly at tablets. I mean who really wants to watch video on a 4" screen?

Dan
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

Well the Stream is a device aimed mainly at tablets. I mean who really wants to watch video on a 4" screen?

Dan
Kids
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
While that is also true (except my phone is 4.7"), the coding to support Android phones and tablets is identical (and a proper design works on both as a single program). So at least it is just one effort.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
I will even *agree* with your first statement mostly, but I went and got a Stream to use it *for now* on my iPhone while on the treadmill. (Admittedly, the screen size is likely to push me to get an iPad earlier than I otherwise would have, but that's mostly because the size is really small when *moving* on a treadmill.. Sitting still, I could imagine watching more on the iPhone, with it held relatively closely.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I am getting increasingly irritated that they do not have Android support for this. As soon as they do, I will QUICKLY give them my money.

TiVo's development leaves much to be desired in my opinion. Yes, I understand they do not want to release a "half-baked" and untested product. But, the way I see it, they released a "half-baked" product anyway by not supporting the other popular OS - Android. Apple only? Come on guys, that's just stupid. Also, the increasing delays on the Mini are frustrating as well. As far as I'm concerned, they are cutting off their nose to spite their face by alienating their customer base who choose NOT to be "Apple-Weenies".
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
jrtroo
User

The delays in the Mini are "increasing"? I thought we learned about Q1 2013 a while ago. Is there something else out there on a release date?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Holding a 10" tablet 16" from your face produces an image easily the same size as a 60" screen across a room.
...um....no, it doesn't (10 inches DOES NOT equal 60 inches). The image is still WAY smaller than on a 60 inch screen. Apparently you don't understand science/physics....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...um....no, it doesn't (10 inches DOES NOT equal 60 inches). The image is still WAY smaller than on a 60 inch screen. Apparently you don't understand science/physics....
Come now, you know what was meant- the same apparent size...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
but my wife told me 6" = 10"!
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's all a matter of perspective. If you stand far enough from a tree you can cover it with your thumb. Now if your wife can cover "it" with her thumb then she's lying when she says it's a "good size".

Dan