TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
johnnbboy

I need info on using my TivoHD with an antenna

I am fed up with paying Cox $150 a month for tv and internet. Does anyone have info about using an antenna for local channels? Roku? Hulu Plus?
johnnbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
MeInDallas

What city are you in?

This is always a good help to find the right antenna:

http://www.antennaweb.org/info/help.aspx
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
justen_m

I use an antenna with my TivoHD. I get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, and PBS OTA in HD, plus a bunch of subchannels in SD (I think I get a total of 21 channels OTA).

What are your questions?
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another good web site (in addition to antennaweb.org) for checking out OTA in your location is:
tvfool.com

Issues to consider:
1. Whether you can use a small indoor antenna adjacent to the TiVo (roughly speaking this means whether the broadcast towers are within 10 to 15 miles of you.)
2. Whether you need an omnidirectional or directional antenna. Use directional (for better performance) if all the towers are in roughly the same direction.
3. Whether any stations you want to receive are VHF. Most stations are UHF, but if you need to get a VHF station, your antenna will have to include a larger VHF element, frequently something similar to the old "rabbit ears".

Also, you have to re-do guided setup, including antenna input.

I use antenna on my TiVo HD. The five local towers (providing 14 channels) are all at about 10 miles, and in the same direction, and all are UHF. I get excellent reception with a small $20 directional antenna perched behind my TV.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 12-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
tbearski

I am about 15 miles from local Philly TV Stations and I use a " MOHU Leaf Plus HDTV Indoor Antenna" ($75) and I get about 62 Stations which are all the HD networks and lots of their clone stations, plus a few independents and PBS! I have a Roku with PLEX to stream from computer, Tivo (Lifetime), Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime(Cost,$8, $8 a month and $79 year) at about a cost of $24 a month! I do miss live NFL Red Zone and some cable shows but I am enjoying not paying Comcast all my money!
tbearski is offline   Reply With Quote