TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
colin1497

New XL4, Tuners 3 and 4 not working

OK, just got an XL4 to replace my well used 1TB S3, installed and paired the cable card, installed the tuning adapter, thought everything was OK and let the TWC cablecard guy off the phone. A few hours later I realized that only tuners 1 and 2 are working, not tuners 3 and 4. I didn't see anything obvious searching tivocommunity -- is this a problem anyone else has seen?

And no, I don't have it set to allow 2 of the tuners to be used by other devices, it's set to have all 4 tuners devoted locally.

I can tune SDV (or non-SDV stations) stations on the first 2 tuners, and when I try to tune the exact same stations on the other 2 tuners I get a blank screen and the message telling me that the station isn't available. This is easily visible with a restart, where all 4 tuners will tune the same station...
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Reboot both the TiVo and the tuning adapter. I had the same problem when I got mine and it took rebooting both to get all 4 tuners working.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
colin1497

OK, I've tried that once so far, but I'll go through it again. I've previously had issues where I had to reboot my S3 and tuning adapter to make things happy, so if that eventually works, I won't be surprised.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
moyekj

Had similar problems with my Elite when I first got it. Eventually I had to move it to a different room with more direct cable drop as it wouldn't tune for all 4 tuners at the intended location. The 4 tuner units apparently require pristine conditions to function properly. Remember internally it's doing a 4 way split of incoming cable signal so it takes a good signal coming in for all 4 tuners to function properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
compnurd

Someone else mentioned with there new XL4 the MRS setting for the Tivo Mini was enabled locking out two of there tuners.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Wasn't there a thread or post somewhere about this problem stating that, when you've got Multi-Room Streaming enabled, it locks out two tuners for that purpose? Maybe I'm hallucinating...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Wasn't there a thread or post somewhere about this problem stating that, when you've got Multi-Room Streaming enabled, it locks out two tuners for that purpose? Maybe I'm hallucinating...
MRS doesn't use any tuners.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
compnurd

Yeh MRS may be the wrong word I am using but it whatever the Tuner allocation setting is that was enabled in the last update for the "4's"
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Someone had tuners enabled for remote devices (for the unreleased mini) and it kept two of the tuners from working.

Check this:
Settings & Messages> Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Allow Live TV on Other Devices
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Someone had tuners enabled for remote devices (for the unreleased mini) and it kept two of the tuners from working.

Check this:
Settings & Messages> Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Allow Live TV on Other Devices
The OP commented in his original post he had already eliminated that possible situation! Did he? I'd think so!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
colin1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
The OP commented in his original post he had already eliminated that possible situation! Did he? I'd think so!
Correct.

Turns out I got it working with another reboot. I'm not sure that I powered down the tuning adapter the first time. With the S3 I always had to disconnect the tuning adapter's USB connection if I rebooted, then reconnect it afterwards, otherwise I'd lose all my SDV stations. The first reboot I think I just disconnected the USB like I had learned to do with the S3. The time that fixed the problem I unplugged the power from the tuning adapter, rebooted the XL4, powered up the tuning adapter, and connected the USB. Voila: 4 tuners.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had the same trouble when I got mine. And like you after a few attempts landed on some combination of reboots that finally worked. Since then I've never had that problem again, so this appears to be a one time struggle.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I had the same trouble when I got mine. And like you after a few attempts landed on some combination of reboots that finally worked. Since then I've never had that problem again, so this appears to be a one time struggle.

Dan
It's possible the tuning adapter didn't have the new firmware that activated it for more than 2 tuners when the TiVo initially connected to it. So rebooting all the devices probably got the TiVo to see the updated tuner support from the TA.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Another user had the same problem and it turned out that two of the tuners were dedicated to live streaming. This is to support the as yet unavailable TiVo-mini.

Quote:
How do I setup a TiVo host?

Your TiVo Mini will need to use a tuner on your Premiere 4, Premiere XL4/Elite, or Premiere Q to allow you to watch LiveTV. To dedicate a tuner to your TiVo Mini, do the following:

1. From TiVo Central, select Settings & Messages> Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Allow Live TV on Other Devices.

2. Select how many tuners you would like to use.

If you will be using only one TiVo Mini, select Allow 1 tuner to be used by network devices.
If you will be using two or more TiVo Minis, select Allow 2 tuners to be used by network devices.
Note: The other user had not changed this. He didn't even know about it. It arrived like that. Caused no end of aggravation.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote