TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
missingwings

HDVR2 Board Replacement "Commissioning"

Note: I did look first for an answer, but found none . . .

I recently had a service call to address severe pixellation on my ancient Hughes Tivo HDVR2. The tech checked out the whole system and confirmed a good signal at the dish (after replacing the LNB) and that both lines meet spec's. That just leaves the receiver itself. I had already previously replaced the power supply with one from an identical (slightly newer) spare unit, so that leaves either the hard drive or the main board as the likely culprit.

So, I exchanged the existing main board with the main board from the spare unit. It booted up fine throughout the download phase. But when it reached 100% of the 4-colored balls, I got a message saying the wrong access card was inserted (I had re-used the existing access card, NOT the one from the spare unit) - which suggests that the card number is somehow stored on the main board and not on the hard drive.

So, I tried rebooting again with the access card from the spare unit. This time it completely booted, but when I tried to access my Now Showing and local channels, I got the following message:

"A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention. Until . . . fixed, you will not be able to record programs or watch recordings You will need to restart the Recorder now. If you see . . . etc."

So, I assume it is trying to use the (now closed) account of the former owner of my spare unit.

So my questions are:

Q1. I assume that to make this (replacement board) work, I have to use the original access card - is this correct? (yes or no)

Q2. If yes, can I somehow continue using the spare main board, or do I have to reinstall the original main board? (spare or original)

Q3. Assuming that there's a way to commission the spare main board, will a "restart" fix the problem or (if not) what is the exact process to interface the replacement/spare main board with my original access card, so that I can confirm that the main board is what is at the root of my pixellation problem?

Any/all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks . . .
missingwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingwings View Post
Q1. I assume that to make this (replacement board) work, I have to use the original access card - is this correct? (yes or no)
I believe you'll have to get the card reactivated on the HDVR2 with the new mainboard. I haven't had DirecTV in over five years so I don't recall exactly what the process is. IIRC, the card is married to the DVR, or in this case, the mainboard of the DVR. You'll need the info from the back panel of the donor DTivo in order to get the card activated. You should copy this info and attach it to the back of the DTivo so you won't lose it.

Quote:
Q2. If yes, can I somehow continue using the spare main board, or do I have to reinstall the original main board? (spare or original)
Once you get the card married to the new board it should be fine with one caveat (see next response).

Quote:
Q3. Assuming that there's a way to commission the spare main board, will a "restart" fix the problem or (if not) what is the exact process to interface the replacement/spare main board with my original access card, so that I can confirm that the main board is what is at the root of my pixellation problem?
If the error you received was an error 51, which I suspect it is and is expected if you used the original hard drive from the defective DTivo, a Clear and Delete Everything should get you up and running again. The hardware info is also stored on the drive and it's checked when the DTivo boots. If there's a mismatch you'll get the hardware error. Simply restarting the DVR won't fix it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingwings View Post
... I had already previously replaced the power supply with one from an identical (slightly newer) spare unit ...
And now the replacement power supply is probably suffering from "capacitor plague" just like the original one.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote