TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
lazyron

streaming internet radio to tivo

is there a way to stream internet radio to the tivo?

last.fm seems to be missing from apps.tv.

i can't get shoutcast to work in galleon.

and i've tried setting up m3u and pls files for the various audo/music applications in galleon as well and haven't had any luck.

any new stand-alone apps out there that can do this? any tips on galleon config? (i'm on 2.5.3)

thanks.
lazyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

m3u and pls files work for me with pyTivo. They probably would work with TiVo Desktop, too.

There's also the Live 365 HME app (one of the standard apps in Music, Photos & Showcases). And of course Rhapsody, if you want to pay, or already have a subscription.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
lazyron

live365 doesn't pick up the channels i'm looking for, plus the bitrate is pretty low. and i can't use tivo desktop because i use linux at home and haven't had any luck running it under wine.

/complaincomplain

i'll definitely check out pytivo tho.

thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
lazyron

somafm is back in the living room

thanks for the pytivo!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
jayfest
Not-so-New Member

For anybody else that is reading, I have gotten TiVo Desktop to play internet versions of radio stations. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before. Thanks, wmcbrine. I think TiVo ought to be more heavily promoting this TD feature, which allows you to play out-of-town or weak-signal radio stations through your TiVo. And while I'm at it, let me plug my two favorite radio stations that I am now listening to this way: WXPN in Philadelphia and WWOZ in New Orleans.
jayfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
AudioNutz

Hmmm... I didn't even know that was a feature of pytivo...
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
bluehz

FWIW - I have been going round and round trying toget tivo hd to play internet streams. Many times streams would start and play a few seconds then die. After that nothing would play without rebooting tivo. Tried Galleon and Tivo Desktop (Mac) and both exhibited same issues. Then I tried wmcbrine's pyTivo and BOOM.. every stream I throw at it plays beautifully! Thanks wmcbrine!
bluehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You're welcome, but honestly, I don't see why it would be any different. The TiVo does most of the work. And I can tell you for sure that the TiVo can still get into a non-playing mode with pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
dwgsp

This thread might be of help:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...24#post5135124

/Don
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
beagledave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehz View Post
FWIW - I have been going round and round trying toget tivo hd to play internet streams. Many times streams would start and play a few seconds then die. After that nothing would play without rebooting tivo. Tried Galleon and Tivo Desktop (Mac) and both exhibited same issues. Then I tried wmcbrine's pyTivo and BOOM.. every stream I throw at it plays beautifully! Thanks wmcbrine!

Same exact experience here. TiVo Desktop fails to work very well for me at all.

Galleon plays my iTunes mp3s quite well, but the Music App only streams internet radio stations for a few seconds before crapping out. pyTivo works great with any mp3 stream. If it only handled iTunes playlists
beagledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
kflinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfest View Post
For anybody else that is reading, I have gotten TiVo Desktop to play internet versions of radio stations. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before. Thanks, wmcbrine. I think TiVo ought to be more heavily promoting this TD feature, which allows you to play out-of-town or weak-signal radio stations through your TiVo. And while I'm at it, let me plug my two favorite radio stations that I am now listening to this way: WXPN in Philadelphia and WWOZ in New Orleans.
Jayfest - this is exactly what i want to do - stream WXPN live from the internet. How did you do it?
kflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
jayfest
Not-so-New Member

This method is becoming out of date, with many stations using customized, more sophisticated players. You need to find a .pls file or a .m3u file for your station.

WXPN still has them at http://xpn.org/music-artist/xpn-stream, but you've got to scroll down the page a bit. Download the file(s - WXPN has multiple streams) to your computer and you can rename it to make it more identifiable. I put the several stations I've gotten into a separate directory. Then add it to TiVo Desktop. Then on your DVR under Music, you should see "Music files on [your computer's name]". It should be in there.
jayfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfest View Post
This method is becoming out of date, with many stations using customized, more sophisticated players.
It's the same thing that's happened to HME/VLC -- everybody going to Flash players, so you can't get at the stream.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's the same thing that's happened to HME/VLC -- everybody going to Flash players, so you can't get at the stream.
I've actually seen a lot of sites are bowing to the iOS no-flash/h.264 video requirements: if you lie to them about your user agent to convince them you're an Apple device you get a <video> tag in the html that has a url you could feed to hme/vlc. Chrome has a user-agent switcher built-in to the developer tools, and Firefox has an add-on, and I believe desktop Safari also has built-in support to spoof an ios user-agent. Roku developers use this trick all the time to get content intended solely for web browsers to the Roku box.

Of course, in many cases, those urls will expire shortly after the page has been downloaded by the client, or will require other wacky authentication mechanisms, so they're not as useful for hme/vlc; but sometimes they're simple and unchanging between sessions.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
kflinch

Jayfest - It worked. I can stream XPN over Tivo. Thanks.
kflinch is offline   Reply With Quote