TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Wdeamay

TiVo shuts down all other internet

Need help, I had two TiVo series 3's hooked up in my home connected to my network and everything was fine. I was able to transfer shows, surf the web on my laptop (my wife too), everything sync'ed up perfectly. However, I just bought a premier to replace a series 3 and when I connected it and it processed all updates (it accesses the net just fine) it shuts down network access to the rest of the house. No transferring between TiVo's, no surfing on our laptops, no wifi access whatsoever in our house. Could this be a router issue? I am using an old Wireless G router (linksys). Thanks for the help!
Wdeamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Wdeamay

Correction

When I go to transfer programs between the tivo's it shuts down the internet to all devices (TiVo's and non-TiVo's alike). The connection is still detected and "Very Good", but no traffic moves across my network. The programs, however, do transfer between boxes. Any thoughts, any at all?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Jonathan_S

That's very weird. I wouldn't think the TiVo would be able to affect how other devices connect to the router.

Are all the devices using wifi? Or are some using wired ethernet, moca, or power-line networking?

If all wifi, could you try temporarily hooking one up by ethernet to the router. That would at least tell you whether it was a wifi problem or a router/uplink problem. (If only the wired device can connect to the internet it's a wifi problem of some sort; if even it can't then it must be a router or uplink issue)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
lrhorer

You've done something wrong in your network. You need to diagnose what. Ping and traceroute (or PingPlotter) are the first tools to employ. You may need to employ a sniffer like Wireshark. You should also do an arp-scan. I suspect you are running Windows hosts. There are some free Windows versions of arp-scan.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
That's very weird. I wouldn't think the TiVo would be able to affect how other devices connect to the router.
Not when it worked initially, unless he changed something. My first guess would be an IP address conflict, perhaps a second device on his LAN with the same IP as his gateway. That would not prevent access between the devices, however. I suspect he is mis-communicating the symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Are all the devices using wifi? Or are some using wired ethernet, moca, or power-line networking?
Yeah, wifi with a duplicate gateway IP might definitely do it, but that fails to explain how it worked initially.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Wdeamay

Thanks for the help

It did work initially with the two series three's, but won't work with the premiere's (no device does when I initiate a transfer). However, when I do plug directly into the modem or the router it does work. So, WiFi issue then based on your input, but any thoughts on how I resolve it?

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

What have you done so far to resolve?

Have you rebooted the router/switch and Tivo?

Can you move to wired instead of wifi?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeamay View Post
Need help, I had two TiVo series 3's hooked up in my home connected to my network and everything was fine. I was able to transfer shows, surf the web on my laptop (my wife too), everything sync'ed up perfectly. However, I just bought a premier to replace a series 3 and when I connected it and it processed all updates (it accesses the net just fine) it shuts down network access to the rest of the house. No transferring between TiVo's, no surfing on our laptops, no wifi access whatsoever in our house. Could this be a router issue? I am using an old Wireless G router (linksys). Thanks for the help!
Give everything on your home network, both wired and wireless, a fixed IP address that is outside of your router's DHCP pool, unless it's something that actually leaves the house and connects with some other network also.

And then reboot everything on the network including the router and cable modem.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
damianthehusky

Ive had that issue before. ended up having to give my tivo a Static IP on the network.
damianthehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Adramelech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeamay View Post
The same thing happened to me. I had a Tivo Series 2 and a Tivo Premiere. It worked perfect. I just replaced the old Tivo with a Tivo Elite 4XL. I'm using an old Linksys Blue Router Wireless G too... Now anytime I try to transfer my shows from the 2 tivos it turns off my internet. I have to keep unplugging the router and modem to reset it every 5-30 minutes. The internet connection is also lost on my Tivo yet the transferring keeps working.
Adramelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelech View Post
The same thing happened to me. I had a Tivo Series 2 and a Tivo Premiere. It worked perfect. I just replaced the old Tivo with a Tivo Elite 4XL. I'm using an old Linksys Blue Router Wireless G too... Now anytime I try to transfer my shows from the 2 tivos it turns off my internet. I have to keep unplugging the router and modem to reset it every 5-30 minutes. The internet connection is also lost on my Tivo yet the transferring keeps working.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...75#post9412675
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote