TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Ben_Jamin75

Might upgrade to Premiere XL4 - questions

I currently have two TiVo HD boxes with upgraded 1TB drives. One is in the living room, one in the bedroom. My living room box has a majority of my primary/favorite season passes and has lifetime. The bedroom box only gets a primetime season pass when there's a 3 or 4 way conflict on the living room, and is grandfathered in at 6.95/month.

My cable company is Buckeye Cablesystem, I have 1 M-Card and a tuning adapter for each box. I have been successful in the past moving a cablecard from one box to another, and getting it re-paired over the phone.

I have the opportunity to buy a TiVo Premier XL4 for about $270
I'm thinking of putting the XL4 in the living room. Since lifetime isn't transferable, and I don't believe I can do a TSN swap on the 6.95/month subscription for a premiere (correct me if I'm wrong), I would at least initially, do the 12.99/month with MSD. Since all the boxes would be active at the same time, I would use tivo.com to move all of my season passes from both HD boxes to the XL. Then, until the TiVo mini materializes, keep one box in the bedroom for MRV (Yes I know the limitations, for me it's just HBO & BBC America), and sell the other.

But, before take the plunge and spend money on myself at Christmas time, I have a few questions.

1) I know the XL4 is for digital cable only. I'm not 100% sure all of my channels are digital. There are still a few channels in the 2-70 range that are not offered in HD yet. My understanding was that many cable companies send out a digital version of their analog channels which cable boxes & cable cards tune to, in addition to the analog signal. I tuned to several of the low number cable channels, then went into the DVR diagnostics screen to check if it was analog or digital. So far, they all say "Modulation: QAM 256".
Am I looking in the right spot? That's what I want to see, right?

2) I already have Ethernet network drops in both rooms, which are connected to a separate switch, which is then connected to the router. (Helps keep TiVo network traffic separate from wireless/Internet traffic). If I understand correctly, the XL4 can act as a MOCA bridge. So, in theory, when the TiVo mini comes out, I could use the MOCA connection. My question is, which connection is better? I'm leaning towards using the Ethernet connection for the mini, and connect the cable line directly to the TV for those rare time I might (gasp) watch actual live tv. Thoughts?

3) If I bought the premiere 4 instead of the XL4 and upgraded the hard drive myself, would it be worth it? It looks like the 4 runs about $150 less than the XL, and 2TB drives run about $100. Sounds like I would lose THX and only save at most $50. Am I missing anything? Thoughts?

4) Are there any rumors about a new box coming out in 2013 other than the TiVo mini? I would hate to buy the XL4 then find out if I would have waited a couple months, I could have gotten a 6 tuner box, or one that has additional hardware/features.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I have tried to answer any "follow-up" questions in advance. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and any replies.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I was able to transfer my $6.95/mo service from a TiVo HD to a Premiere. I had to call TiVo to get it done. Then they sold me $99 lifetime for the HD and I sold it on eBay for $370. I kept the HD long enough to transfer the season passes to the Premiere. (My $6.95 service actually originated on a Series 2 box.)

It sounds like your channels are all available as digital. Most cable companies are phasing out analog versions of channels.

I use MoCA on a couple of my boxes. It is faster than 100Mbps ethernet, and slower than gigabit ethernet, at least in my setup.

I've heard talk about an XL6 or 6-tuner box, but I don't believe TiVo has let anything official slip out, other than the mini.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Oh, one more thing. If you ever get a mini, you can use the coax for MoCA and split it to run into the TV as well. You don't have to choose one or the other. But if you have ethernet there anyway, might as well use it. (The mini is not supposed to have a bridge in it, so you can't use it to feed other ethernet devices from a MoCA source.)
Slingbox M1

Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Ben_Jamin75

Thanks for the reply Arcady

My 6.95 service also originated on a series 2 box. It would be awesome if I could get the same deal you got... transfer the 6.95 to the new XL4, and pay $99 to get lifetime on the old HD box. If I got close to the same amount you got for your box on eBay I would just about break even replacing one box.

Heck, I could sell the second HD box to almost cover the cost of lifetime on the XL4.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The one I sold for $370 had a 1TB upgrade in it, just like yours. It also had a Glo Remote. Good luck.

Here's the auction in case you want to see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110979651883
Slingbox M1

Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
4) Are there any rumors about a new box coming out in 2013 other than the TiVo mini? I would hate to buy the XL4 then find out if I would have waited a couple months, I could have gotten a 6 tuner box, or one that has additional hardware/features.
All speculation, but there's some belief that there will be new hardware (Series 5) next fall. Pace is coming out with a relatively powerful 6-tuner box early next year that uses Tivo software, for use by cable companies, and it's not hard to believe Tivo may have their own similar platform planned (or just use Pace's platform).

Whether it's worth waiting a year for is up to you. But in the short term, the Mini is the only thing we know of in the forecast.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
JZC

1) Digital cable is not the same as HD. Most SD channels are sent over digital cable as well.

3) In addition to being THX certified, the XL4 also includes the premium Tivo Glo remote.

4) CES is only about a month away. I wouldn't be surprised if Tivo's hardware plans for 2013 get revealed at that time.
JZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZC View Post
1) Digital cable is not the same as HD. Most SD channels are sent over digital cable as well.
In fact, more and more cable systems are dropping ALL their analog channels, since they can put several digital channels in the bandwidth of one analog channel. Digital can either be standard or high definition, but HD is always digital.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Ben_Jamin75

Thanks for your replies.

I do understand the difference between digital and HD. My cable company does still offer analog service. A cable connected to an old 4:3 tube TV still works. My point about those channels not being available in HD was, I still watch/record them.

As I said, I know several companies send out a digital version of their analog channels for their cable box/cable card customers. I just wanted to verify that my cable company was one that did. It would have been a big disappointment to buy a XL4, get it set-up, only to learn that it was unable to tune to some of my lineup.

Last edited by Ben_Jamin75 : 12-02-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Finish post, app prematurely posted. Lol
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

A lot of cable companies do something calle digital simulcast. What that means is that the lower channels are broadcast as both analog and digital. You can tell if that's the case with your current system by going to one of those channels and setting up a recording. If the recording options show a quality (i.e. Best, High, etc...) then the channel is analog. If it doesn't then it's digital. If the channel is truly analog then you will not be able to record it on the XL4, so keep that in mind. My cable company still broadcasts about 30 stations as analog only, so I had to keep a standard Premiere around after I bought my Elite just to record those channels. If they ever switch to digital simulcast, or upgrade the 3-4 channels I watch to HD, then I'll likely sell the Premiere and replace it with a Mini instead. (managing recordings across multiple TiVos is a PITA)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Ben_Jamin75

Thanks Dan. I was pretty sure my cable company did digital simulcast, but I wasn't 100% sure. I tried out your idea and there isn't a quality option, so it looks like I am fully digital.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

$270 is a great price on the XL4, assuming it's new or close to it. Well worth it. A bunch of us got new Elites for $300 from woot.com when Tivo was getting rid of them (same box, different label on front).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Ben_Jamin75

It will be new, purchased via amazon. I will be purchasing $50 amazon gift cards through a local store for $36. They offer a $10 off coupon for items $49.97 or more combined with an employee discount of an additional 10% off (-$4). Just have to wait for the next day they offer the coupons, which is usually several times in December.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Every store discount I have ever seen does not apply to gift cards. What store is this?
Slingbox M1

Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Ben_Jamin75

Sent you a PM