TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Johncv

Cox San Diego change to H.264/MPEG-4

Last week I note that I could not receive all of premium channels (in my plus package) on my TiVo HD and could not resolve it over the phone, so they sent a Cox guy out. I had to work, so my brother was there when the Cox guy came and found out that Cox move all premium channels to H.264/MPEG-4 including the SyFy channel. The TiVo HD will slowly become a doorstop as Cox move other channels in 2013. While talking with the Cox guy my brother found out that Cox in San Diego is planning to replace all the DVR's with 6-tuner DVR's with a one-TB hard drive in 2013. Did not who would be building the DVR's or what software would be use. If this turn out to be true there no point in replacing the TiVo.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Last week I note that I could not receive all of premium channels (in my plus package) on my TiVo HD and could not resolve it over the phone, so they sent a Cox guy out. I had to work, so my brother was there when the Cox guy came and found out that Cox move all premium channels to H.264/MPEG-4 including the SyFy channel. The TiVo HD will slowly become a doorstop as Cox move other channels in 2013. While talking with the Cox guy my brother found out that Cox in San Diego is planning to replace all the DVR's with 6-tuner DVR's with a one-TB hard drive in 2013. Did not who would be building the DVR's or what software would be use. If this turn out to be true there no point in replacing the TiVo.
So what happens when they tell somebody "We're here to replace the DVR you rent from us with a newer one" and the subscriber says "But there are shows recorded on the old one I haven't watched yet!"?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So what happens when they tell somebody "We're here to replace the DVR you rent from us with a newer one" and the subscriber says "But there are shows recorded on the old one I haven't watched yet!"?
Double jeopardy.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If this turn out to be true there no point in replacing the TiVo.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but the TiVo Premiere should be able to handle the h.264 channels, as it's doing in other markets. (And of course you can get a four-tuner model.)

Unfortunately TiVo seems to have decided not to update the software on the Series 3 any further, and its current software doesn't support h.264 over QAM, even though the hardware is capable, and they already have the software to do it on that hardware deployed in New Zealand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here, but the TiVo Premiere should be able to handle the h.264 channels, as it's doing in other markets. (And of course you can get a four-tuner model.)

Unfortunately TiVo seems to have decided not to update the software on the Series 3 any further, and its current software doesn't support h.264 over QAM, even though the hardware is capable, and they already have the software to do it on that hardware deployed in New Zealand.
So, all we need to do is install (steal) the software use in New Zealand, or move there if Mitt WrongMoney wins.

HDTiVo

Last edited by Johncv : 11-05-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Edit: The question should be why just in New Zealand?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
sanjonny

but if they dont plan to update the software, why am i seeing a tivo stream page on my hd?
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I highly doubt that Cox San Diego moved the SyFy channel to H.264. SyFy is part of the Cox TV Essential package. Only the Plus Package HD channels were moved to H.264.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...-lineup.cox#20

Cox has too many legacy receivers not capable of 1GHz or H.264 to be moving any of the Starter, Essential, or Variety Paks to above 850MHz or H.264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
sanjonny

I hope you are correct, because that would be an absolute pain to not be able to use my tivo anymore.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I highly doubt that Cox San Diego moved the SyFy channel to H.264. SyFy is part of the Cox TV Essential package. Only the Plus Package HD channels were moved to H.264.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...-lineup.cox#20

Cox has too many legacy receivers not capable of 1GHz or H.264 to be moving any of the Starter, Essential, or Variety Paks to above 850MHz or H.264
Is there anyway to check what video format a channel is using?

HDTiVo
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Is there anyway to check what video format a channel is using?
Yes in DVR Diagnostics it will say either MPEG2 or H.264 as the Video PID.

EDIT: As a side note, based on the latest channel line-up I have, Cox SD does have SyFy listed as a SDV channel, Which I find odd, due to the fact of it's Tier placement in Essensial and it's popularity.
05/02/12 - Unofficial SDV listings from an official Cox source
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HBOEHD-(H.264).jpg (62.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg CNNHD-(MPEG2).jpg (62.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 11-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
h0mi

This has me aggravated and annoyed, coupled with the discovery that a channel I used to watch often (but stopped for a while) has been moved to the plus package tier and the difficulty in getting concise and accurate information about cox (tech supervisor tells me I need the cox DVR to get it, it won't work with tivo hardware) has me ready to leave cox altogether. Unfortunately my options are uverse, dish or directv and all of them basically renders my tivo HD into a doorstop.
h0mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
This has me aggravated and annoyed, coupled with the discovery that a channel I used to watch often (but stopped for a while) has been moved to the plus package tier and the difficulty in getting concise and accurate information about cox (tech supervisor tells me I need the cox DVR to get it, it won't work with tivo hardware) has me ready to leave cox altogether. Unfortunately my options are uverse, dish or directv and all of them basically renders my tivo HD into a doorstop.
What about OTA (antenna)?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
That option is no good when the channel is a cable channel is one you want like SyFy.

HDTiVo
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
h0mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
As Johncv mentioned, since I want non OTA channels, getting an antenna for locals and then getting say directv or uverse for other channels really makes little sense.
h0mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
markw365

There is PLEX + TED. However that's a hassle. I'm in the same boat, series 3, just lost velocity HD (1735) last week.
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
Johncv

Just lost CNNHD

HDTiVo
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Just lost CNNHD
You have some other issue going on with your CableCARD or Tuning Adapter. CNNHD and SyFyHD are not in H.264 format.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
You have some other issue going on with your CableCARD or Tuning Adapter. CNNHD and SyFyHD are not in H.264 format.
They are now in my area. There are no issue with CableCard or Tuning Adapter already had that check with Cox, when a channel go away it been move to H.264. Move all my SyFy and USA recording to Cox box.

HDTiVo
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
They are now in my area. There are no issue with CableCard or Tuning Adapter already had that check with Cox, when a channel go away it been move to H.264. Move all my SyFy and USA recording to Cox box.
What is the Model # and IPG of your Cox DVR/STB that can receive CNNHD and SyFy?
Because if it is any of the following, They are not capable of H.264
SA 8300HD
SA 8240HDC
SA 4240HDC
SA 4250HDC
Cisco 8642HDC (running Rovi Passport IPG)
Cisco 4642HDC (running Rovi Passport IPG)

The only Cox provided equipment that can receive the H.264 channels are the following:
Cisco 8642HDC (running the Trio IPG)
Cisco 4642HDC (running the Trio IPG)
Cisco 1642HDC (running the Trio IPG)

Again, Cox is not moving any Starter/Economy or Expanded/Essential channels to H.264, it would leave 95% of Cox customers without access to those channels.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-09-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
tvmaster2

Quote:
have you had any contact with Tivo reps on what they intend to do with the TivoHD, if they intend to do anything at all?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
quietfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
have you had any contact with Tivo reps on what they intend to do with the TivoHD, if they intend to do anything at all?
sell you a premiere......
quietfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
tvmaster2

Quote:
PM me if you want to know some good news - I tried to PM you, but you have that disabled.

Update: Tivo exhanges my two Tivo HD units with Lifetime service for two, 45-hour Premiere's for $50 each. I'm happy with that exchange. 90-day warranty included.

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 12-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote