TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Aero 1

Tivo just got some real OTA competition - new Channel Master with Vudu

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...t-not-netflix/

Quote:
The Channel Master TV is designed to be a one-stop box for cord-cutters.

Cutting the cable can be done, but one of the toughest challenges is replacing live TV programs, like sports and local news. We've long been advocates of over-the-air (OTA) HDTV to fill the gap, but there aren't many OTA DVRs and the existing models have significant drawbacks, including the Channel Master CM-7000PAL we reviewed earlier this year.

Channel Master has announced a new over-the-air DVR this morning, the Channel Master TV, combining TV recording functionality with the ability to stream Vudu. Unlike TiVo, the Channel Master TV does not require a monthly subscription, instead relying on free electronic program guide information already contained in over-the-air TV signals. The Channel Master TV also looks to sport a redesigned user interface, a much-needed upgrade over the rough-looking interface of the CM-7000PAL.
The Channel Master TV has a built-in 320GB hard drive, capable of recording 35 hours of HD content. There are also two USB ports (one on the front, one on the back) and Channel Master says you'll be able to play digital media files off them, although there's no file format information yet. The three antennas on the back of the player are for the Channel Master TV's built-in Wi-Fi connection, so you won't need an Ethernet connection in your living room to stream Vudu.

As much as we like seeing expanded over-the-air recording options, the Channel Master TV has a lot working against it. We're shocked that the Channel Master TV doesn't included Netflix support, considering it's available on nearly ever home theater product these days. And while Vudu is excellent streaming movies, we've found the competing Amazon Instant service to be even better for cord-cutters, with its extensive selection of TV content.
Channel Master also didn't mention any improvements to our biggest criticism of the CM-7000PAL, which is that it works more like a VCR than a modern DVR. Most DVRs offer name-based recordings, so you can tell the machine to record all the new episodes of "30 Rock," and the DVR will adjust its recording schedule accordingly. With the CM-7000PAL, all you can tell it is to record every Thursday at 10 p.m. on NBC. It won't skip repeats, automatically extend for hour-long special episodes, or adjust if the show changes its time slot.
The $400 price is also likely to be a sticking point, especially budget-minded buyers looking to reduce their costs by cutting their cable subscription. It lacks the monthly fee of a TiVo, but it's still a large upfront cost and it will take a while before the cable bill savings will pay for the box.
Even with those drawbacks, the Channel Master TV looks to be a significant upgrade over the Channel Master CM-7000PAL, which has found a sizable niche even with its limitations. We're looking forward to getting our hands on a review sample to see how it holds up as an everyday DVR.

some better specs than tivo from the top of my head, VUDU, built in wireless, bigger drive, clear QAM support, social networking features, picasa, flikr, and a clock for those that have been complaining about it

more specs and pics here: http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
atmuscarella

If you call this real competition then you have no idea what a TiVo DVR is. Oh and by the way it doesn't have a bigger hard drive

I'll take the Premiere for $100 more any day.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Joe3

$400?
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If you call this real competition then you have no idea what a TiVo DVR is. Oh and by the way it doesn't have a bigger hard drive

I'll take the Premiere for $100 more any day.
relax nancy. see if you neighbors grandma who wants to buy a DVR for her rabbit ears is going to buy a $600 tivo that requires her to make an online account and constant internet connection for guide data or a $400 DVR thats just plug and play and gets guide data OTA?

you obviously dont know the consumer market.

the web features on both units is just extra sauce for a small percentage of the market.

i must of been thinking of the tivo hd drive then.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aero 1 : 09-13-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Looks like a really crappy version of a Tivo to me. That would be fine if it was like $100. This is basically what most people THINK a Tivo is, a VCR with a hard drive. Tivo is definitely worth the extra $200.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Joe3

If they offered it free with the Channel Master antenna and free installation, maybe, I'd take them seriously.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Competition is good. However, the price point seems problematic, service seems lower than tivo or a streamer, and the name recognition is nonexistent. How many tuners does it have? It has a 1985 style of programming?

Not quite the level of competition to keep things moving, in my opinion.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
relax nancy. see if you neighbors grandma who wants to buy a DVR for her rabbit ears is going to buy a $600 tivo that requires her to make an online account and constant internet connection for guide data or a $400 DVR thats just plug and play and gets guide data OTA?

you obviously dont know the consumer market.

the web features on both units is just extra sauce for a small percentage of the market.

i must of been thinking of the tivo hd drive then.
If all they want is a dumb DVR then the existing channel master works just fine for less money. Also if you get good guide data or not depends on where you are.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

So a box with 21st century hardware that works like a 20th century recording device.
And on top of that there is a very small recording capcaity. Can you at least transfer the OTA recordings to a PC for extra storage? Like you can with a TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So a box with 21st century hardware that works like a 20th century recording device.
And on top of that there is a very small recording capcaity. Can you at least transfer the OTA recordings to a PC for extra storage? Like you can with a TiVo.
You can not with the current channel master OTA DVR - but I believe you could add USB drives that were used for storage so you could swap them out when full. The current DVR is ok for a low cost simple OTA solution. This one costs about $100 more and appears to only add streaming media not more advanced DVR features.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Price this at <$400, with analog cable and QAM (with mapping), include OTA, and I know several people who would buy them, even without a program guide.

Last edited by HomieG : 09-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
shwru980r

For OTA only, you need the detailed guide information, season pass and wish list search functionality that Tivo provides.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
For OTA only, you need the detailed guide information, season pass and wish list search functionality that Tivo provides.
How did we ever get by without guides when we had VCR's (and yes, we did). Sure, nice to have a program guide, season passes, etc., but not entirely necessary.

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
How did we ever get by without guides when we had VCR's (and yes, we did). Sure, nice to have a program guide, season passes, etc., but not entirely necessary.
Not required but it certainly sucked ten years ago when I had to manually set up each OTA HD recording I made with my HiPix cards. And I had to constantly check to make sure nothing changed with the programming each day.
I certainly would not want to go back to that. It's much nicer being able to setup the Season Passes and not having to check the schedule for changes.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm familiar with the old style programming, I would be able to cope.
But it would have to have at least 2 tuners in order to handle conflicts.
No transfers to a computer? No go.
And I don't care about WiFi, I prefer to hard wire my devices.

Finally, the $400 price tag is an immediate turn-off. For a hundred dollars more, I could just get a Premiere w/ Lifetime and have a MUCH better DVR.

Overall rating:

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
dwit

No competition at all happening here.

I don't think that anyone who has used a Tivo for any period of time would find this close to being an acceptable substitute.

Like rolling the technology clock 10 years, and getting much less, for not that much less money.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
rsisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
That really puts it in perspective!
rsisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
smbaker

It has a CLOCK!

(this seems important to some)

Do I understand correctly that all it implements is dumb vcr functionality? They're attempting to market what a S1 Tivo without subscription did back in 1999, combined with 10% of a Roku? Good luck with that.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
jfh3

At $150, maybe. Not at $400. Even if it does support QAM tuning. This doesn't even look as good as the Sony HDD DVRs and those are what, six years old?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
mattack

Yeah, sounds like only a single tuner. If it had 2+ tuners, I could see it being useful (even though I definitely like Tivo's "smart" programming).. But at that price? Ridiculous.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
tootal2

I might buy one of thoes for my bedroom tv that i only use about a hour a day. But dont think i will replace my tivo hd with this

400.00? i will not buy it for that much
tootal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #22
jfalkingham

It appears to have dual tuners and clear QAM

Features
View and record local over-the-air digital broadcast
The most HD movies streaming on demand (Vudu™)
Highest quality HD movie streaming available (1080p) by Vudu™
Records digital TV and HDTV
Dual Tuned DVR allowing two programs to record simultaneously
Pausing, fast forward and rewind functions
Electronic programming guide and TV guide functions
Social networking + photo sharing apps (Picasa™, Flickr ™)
Advanced search features, schedule recordings, and parental control settings
Video
480i/480p
720p
1080p/1080i
Audio
Dolby® Digital and Dolby® Digital Plus
Tuners
Dual ATSC/Clear QAM¹
No monthly subscription fee
Includes a one year manufacturer's limited warranty
Recording Capacity
320GB Hard Disk Drive²
Up to 35 hours of HD recording³
Up to 150 hours of SD recording³
Wireless
Built-in 802.11b/g/n
Dimensions
10(w) x 7(d) x 1.75(h) inches
Rear Panel Features
RJ-45 Ethernet
USB 2.0
HDMI®
eSATA
Digital Audio (Optical)
RF output
RF antenna/cable input
RCA component and composite video
Stereo audio
Front Panel Features
Illuminated power standby button
Indicators for network status, HD and recording status
USB 2.0
IR receiver
Capacitive touchpad
Clock display
¹ Clear QAM support varies city by city, check your cable provider for compatibility.
² Recording capacity is an estimate and depends on the type of programming being recorded.
³ Recording hours are eastimated and subject to change.
Requires an antenna for free broadcast TV.
Requires a broadband Internet connection for web movies and apps.
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
Beryl

Impressive features. I see it does have a EPG so it isn't just a VCR with a hard drive.

I'm not personally interested but if it includes free and significant reduced priced blu-ray movies, it will be well received.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #24
tenthplanet

Wireless is a waste if you're going to use VUDU. Over the Electronic Program Guide that could that could one day not be available. To be an effective cord cutter you need more smarts than most of the public has. This looks like a solution looking for a question. For a lot of people they would be better off cutting back in their cable and renting a dvr from the cable company.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #25
jtreid

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
It has a CLOCK!
Yeah. It constantly flashes 12:00.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
atmuscarella

MegaZone has posted a very good and detailed article about the new Channel Master DVR including comparing it too buying a Premiere.
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/09/1...ative-to-tivo/
Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Wireless is a waste if you're going to use VUDU. Over the Electronic Program Guide that could that could one day not be available. To be an effective cord cutter you need more smarts than most of the public has. This looks like a solution looking for a question. For a lot of people they would be better off cutting back in their cable and renting a dvr from the cable company.
VUDU works perfectly fine over wireless. The average bitrate of the HDX titles is only 9Mbps. I can stream from VUDU on a wireless N connection with zero issues on any of my wireless devices. The result is identical to streaming from my wired gigabit backbone.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Chris Gerhard

If I wanted this OTA DVR, the good news is the product is DOA at $400 and will be discounted heavily pretty soon. The bad news is I think the premium for TiVo with lifetime is easily justified if this product was only $250, in otherwords, TiVo is worth a $250 premium compared to this rudimentary DVR for me and I believe most of the market. I don't see it getting as low as $250 but I could be wrong.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Wireless is a waste if you're going to use VUDU.
How so? I use the Vudu client built into my LG tv using wireless and it works just fine, all the way to HDX quality.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
How so? I use the Vudu client built into my LG tv using wireless and it works just fine, all the way to HDX quality.
I think they probably meant wireless is a waste if you have a crappy router or slow internet. But it has an ethernet port too.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote