TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
dmcwilliams11

Searching for Cable

I've had a Tivi for over 10 years. Not a newbie. I have a series 3 premier hd. Had a power outage last week. After power came back, getting no cable signal. Had cable company out. No problem. Stong signal. Still didnt work with direct hookup. Been online with Tivo. No resolution. Everything else works fine, program guides,streaming networking etc. Ran guided setup a few times. Restarted a few times. No change. Think the tuners got fried? Hate to replace because I have lifetime service.
dmcwilliams11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I would first suspect the power supply. Series 3's are well known for getting hit with capacitor plague. (<-- link)

Your power supply could already have been suffering, and the power outage was the straw that broke the camel's back.
The Tivo operates with three different voltages, so I would think it is possible for some things to work while others don't in the event of a power supply failure.
In your case, maybe the tuners aren't getting the voltage they need to work.

Open the Tivo and visually inspect the capacitors. If they all look completely flat on top, then move on to measuring the voltages of the power supply's outputs.

Use the search function of this forum to find other threads about this. There are a few that go into much more detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Noremorse

RE: No signal

You mentioned no image from directly connecting it to the tv?
If this is the case there may be a splitter somewhere in your house before it comes out of the wall that may have been damaged in the surge.
If you can hook it to the TV directly and get an image it will have something to do with the TiVo
Try removing the cable card and see if you can get any lower channels
If so the cable card will need to be replaced.
Noremorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcwilliams11 View Post
I've had a Tivi for over 10 years. Not a newbie. I have a series 3 premier hd. Had a power outage last week. After power came back, getting no cable signal. Had cable company out. No problem. Stong signal. Still didnt work with direct hookup. Been online with Tivo. No resolution. Everything else works fine, program guides,streaming networking etc. Ran guided setup a few times. Restarted a few times. No change. Think the tuners got fried? Hate to replace because I have lifetime service.
I don't know, calling a Series 3 a Premiere is kind of a newbie mistake.

All the cool kids know to list the model number that starts with TCD.

Or at least the first 3 digits, like 648, 652, or 658.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Since you mentioned it, what does "TCD" stand for, or was it just some random letters that were picked? The same question for the 1st three digits? Random or do they actually have meaning similar to the HDD size?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't know what "TCD" stands for, but it seems it is only used on TiVo branded DVRs.

http://www.weaknees.com/find-model.php

The first three numbers in the string indicate the model, and the second three indicate OEM hard drive size.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 12-31-2012 at 08:22 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
zalusky

Go in and do a channel strength measurement from the settings channels menu and see what it says.