TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Rbmartiniv

Question Connecting 2 series 2 TiVos, 2 digital converters, DVD player to '04 Samsung DLP TV

Can anyone please help me with the "order" of connections? I have Suddenlink cable, 2 TiVo Series 2 boxes, 2 digital converter boxes from Suddenlink, a DVD player, and a Samsung big screen DLP TV. Do I daisy chain the TiVos somehow? Or use a splitter so cable goes to each converter box and then each converter box to a TiVo? If so, where do I go from each TiVo?
Thanks,
R. Martin
Rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbmartiniv View Post
Can anyone please help me with the "order" of connections? I have Suddenlink cable, 2 TiVo Series 2 boxes, 2 digital converter boxes from Suddenlink, a DVD player, and a Samsung big screen DLP TV. Do I daisy chain the TiVos somehow? Or use a splitter so cable goes to each converter box and then each converter box to a TiVo? If so, where do I go from each TiVo?
Thanks,
R. Martin
How many different inputs does the TV have, and what kind are they? Antenna? Cable? Composite video and stereo audio (yellow, white, and red RCA jacks)? Component Video (Red, Green, and Blue RCA jacks, with red and white audio input jacks)? S-Video? HDMI? More than one HDMI?

Does the TV's remote have a button that says "input"? What happens when you press it? What happens when you press it again?

If you can post the actual model number of the TV, I can use the old google machine to learn about it's capabilities as well, perhaps.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking a 3 tap splitter* that feeds both converter boxes and the cable input of the TV, assuming the DVD is output only.

Feel free to post the brand and model number of it as well for me to google.

*Or a 4 output splitter with a little 75 ohm terminator (get it at Radio Shack if there aren't any real electronics stores nearby) on the 4th output.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
shwru980r

No, don't daisy chain the Tivos.

You need a coaxial splitter to run the cable from your wall to both converter boxes.
Then connect the coax output from each cable box to the coax input of each tivo.
Then connect the coax output of one Tivo to the coax input of your TV.
Then connect the composite output of the second Tivo to the composite input of your TV (yellow, red, white rca cables)
Then connect the component output of your DVD player to the component input of your TV (red, blue, green, red and white RCA cables.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
lrhorer

This is utterly ridiculous. So much so I suspect the OP may be a Troll.

If you are on the level, dump the S2 TiVos and the leased STBs, and get an S3 or newer TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post

If you are on the level, dump the S2 TiVos and the leased STBs, and get an S3 or newer TiVo.
The OP said "digital converter boxes", not "set top boxes". They are probably DTAs and the first two might be free.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:

There you go being diplomatic again.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Rbmartiniv

I have lifetime subscriptions on the two TiVos and they are not transferable, so will use them as long as they are working.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I have lifetime subscriptions on the two TiVos and they are not transferable, so will use them as long as they are working.
Single or double tuner?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Rbmartiniv

The TV is Samsung HL-P5663W. It has Ant 1 in, Ant 2 in, Ant 1 Out; AV 1 & AV 2 each with S-Video and video/audio plugs; Component 1 In and Component 2 In; and one HDMI connection.

The DVD player has Audio Out (L & R); Digital Audio Out (PCM/Bitstream), Video Out (yellow), and Component Video Out (Y, Pr, Pb).

The two Suddenlink Digital Links (Models DC732) have Cable In, To TV, IR In, and power. They were free, not leased.

Both TiVos are Series 2 Models TCD240080.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Robert M.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
The TV is Samsung HL-P5663W. It has Ant 1 in, Ant 2 in, Ant 1 Out; AV 1 & AV 2 each with S-Video and video/audio plugs; Component 1 In and Component 2 In; and one HDMI connection.

The DVD player has Audio Out (L & R); Digital Audio Out (PCM/Bitstream), Video Out (yellow), and Component Video Out (Y, Pr, Pb).

The two Suddenlink Digital Links (Models DC732) have Cable In, To TV, IR In, and power. They were free, not leased.

Robert M.
Sounds like you want to hook all of this up at a single location. A better way would be to put the second Tivo at another cable outlet with another TV. You can probably transfer from one to the other if you have Suddenlink. I suppose it depends on where you are located, but my Suddenlink service includes the analog channels so I have one S2 box connected directly to a cable outlet with no converter box needed. The converter boxes will not allow you to record HD channels but may give you a little better resolution by recording the digital SD channels. The down side is that you will need to hook up IR cables from the Tivos to the converter boxes so that the Tivo can change the channel on the box. So, how to hook it all up. You will want to use a cable splitter to run to each converter box separately. If you also want to be able to view cable directly on the TV you will need at least a 3-way splitter. You may end up with a wek signal so a cable signal amplifer may be needed prior to the splitter. Try it without first. The Tivos can be connected to AV1 and AV2 and the DVD should be connected using component cables since it sounds like it doesn't have HDMI output. Hope that helps. Oh, by the way, you will need to program the Tivo remote to work separately on each Tivo when you slide the 1/2 switch.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:

Robert M.
Going on the assumption that you want all your equipment in the same room...

I think I wish I had your TV, or at least that the inputs for ours were the same as on yours.

I see why those DigitaLinks are free, they only offer an NTSC Channel 3 or 4 RF output.

Which means get a splitter, at least 2 way, and split the cable to feed both DigitaLinks. Use short coax to feed one to the RF input (that theaded thing) of one of the TiVos and do the same to feed the other to the other.

Then go from the line level outputs of the first TiVo (the red, white, yellow, and S-Video jacks) to AV-IN 1 on the back of the TV. White for left channel audio, red for right, and either yellow for composite video OR use the S-Video output on the TiVo and the S-Video input on the TV, but not S-Video and the yellow jacks at the same time.

Then hook up the other TiVo to AV-IN 2 the same way.

You'll have to have one of those TiVo remotes with the 1-2 switch so as to have a different remote address for each TiVo, of course.

You'll need to use the IR blaster cable to go from TiVo to corresponding DigitaLink box and hope that you can re-do guided setup and tell it you have a cable box and get the TiVo to control the Suddenlink channel changing while leaving both its output and the TiVo's tuner on either channel 3 or channel 4.

Then do the same with the other TiVo/SL box combo.

Hook your DVD player to Component In 1 (or 2, your choice, but 1 will probably be less confusing), using white and red for audio and red, green, blue for component video.

If you have an over the air antenna, hook it to Antenna 1 IN on the TV, and you can use a 3 or 4 way splitter on the cable where you split it for the DigitaLinks and connect the cable to Antenna 2 IN just to see if there's anything on there that's not scrambled or blocked.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
unitron

I looked a little more closely at the Sudden Link how-to for those converters and apparently in addition to a window on the front for the remote control IR beam to enter they also have a jack on the back for a cable they supply with a plug on one end and an IR receiver on the other.

This was not what I was referring to when I mentioned an IR blaster cable.

I was talking about one that comes with the TiVo that has a plug at one end for the back of the TiVo and an IR emitter (or two) on the other end to position in front of some other device's IR window.

Take the emitter end of the TiVo cable and the receiver end of the SL box cable and put them together and wrap it with black electrical tape and nothing should interfer with the signal getting from the TiVo to the SL box.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
The OP said "digital converter boxes", not "set top boxes". They are probably DTAs and the first two might be free.
"Free" is not the point. He has a kludge system that is bound to have problems and is a pain to operate even if it doesn't have problems. He has a moderately expensive TV capable of a great deal of superior performance fed by an extensive pile of junk that cannot make proper use of the TV it is feeding. It's a little like buying a Corvette and hitching it to a cart horse. The fact hay and grass may be cheaper than gasoline isn't really the issue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
"Free" is not the point. He has a kludge system that is bound to have problems and is a pain to operate even if it doesn't have problems. He has a moderately expensive TV capable of a great deal of superior performance fed by an extensive pile of junk that cannot make proper use of the TV it is feeding. It's a little like buying a Corvette and hitching it to a cart horse. The fact hay and grass may be cheaper than gasoline isn't really the issue.
And if he needs to come ask us how to do the hook-up, he doesn't know enough yet to properly evaluate what he should put money into to get you un-lathered about it.

And in the meantime while he learns what he needs to, he'd probably like to be able to watch television since he has a nice set, a cable sub, and two lifetimed TiVos.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

He does have a nice set. And connecting a couple of standard-def TiVo boxes is only slightly better than spraying mud at the TV.

Of course, all of this can be made to work. And I'm sure some very nice people here will help the OP get it all running. It just seems like a waste of time when you can plug in a $60 Premiere and get all the same functionality, but in HD and without four boxes and the huge waste of power.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
He does have a nice set. And connecting a couple of standard-def TiVo boxes is only slightly better than spraying mud at the TV.

Of course, all of this can be made to work. And I'm sure some very nice people here will help the OP get it all running. It just seems like a waste of time when you can plug in a $60 Premiere and get all the same functionality, but in HD and without four boxes and the huge waste of power.
I'm sure he'd be happy to let y'all chip in to cover all of the extra expense.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Rbmartiniv

I would like to thank all of the nice people that took the time to provide assistance with my connections. I believe that I will be able to put it all together now. It was actually all together and working just fine until I disconnected it all for a move. When I starting reconnecting I had trouble remembering how it had all been connected. I only have basic cable and don't care that it is not hi def.

For those of you who fed your self-important egos by putting me down for asking for help IN THE TIVO HELP FORUM, you can KMA.

Robert
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm sure he'd be happy to let y'all chip in to cover all of the extra expense.
He's probably wasting the $60 on power alone. And you could sell two lifetime S2's for enough to probably cover it all anyway.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
I think I wish I had your TV, or at least that the inputs for ours were the same as on yours.
A major reason why I don't want to get rid of my 6 year old Mits DLP. Inputs galore unlike what is available today.
It's almost as the CEA is going backwards to a plain 'television' as opposed to a TV/monitor.

I do have to agree, using SD DVR's or DVD recorders is kinda dated, especially with a HDTV. I would at least sell both series two's and get a used series three w/ lifetime. A friend of mine still has series two's, but his TV's are SD CRT's.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
A major reason why I don't want to get rid of my 6 year old Mits DLP. Inputs galore unlike what is available today.
It's almost as the CEA is going backwards to a plain 'television' as opposed to a TV/monitor.

I do have to agree, using SD DVR's or DVD recorders is kinda dated, especially with a HDTV. I would at least sell both series two's and get a used series three w/ lifetime. A friend of mine still has series two's, but his TV's are SD CRT's.
What they're going "backwards" towards is a connection that won't let you record anything via the "analog hole" and won't let you watch anything unless all your equipment agrees that you have their permission to watch.

Said permission having nothing to do with the actual content itself, but with did all the right people make money on the deal.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Greed.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote