TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Buster

Please help a newbie out!

Hi everyone! I have a Series 2 and a Tivo HD XL that I have been using with Vuze to transfer downloaded recordings to the Tivos. Unfortunately, this setup is pretty glitchy, and for the last few days, Vuze refuses to see the TiVos and vice versa. I'm looking for a more reliable way to transfer downloaded files to the TiVos.

I'm reading a lot here about pyTivo and kmttg, as well as Tivo Desktop (Plus). What would you recommend as a setup to a total newbie trying to transfer recordings? Ideally, I'd like something that will convert files and transfer them.

Thanks!
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

pyTivo

To get metadata also transferred use Metagenerator 3, link in signature, to generate the metadata text files needed by pyTivo.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Buster

Thanks. Been reading about pyTivo but am thoroughly intimated by the whole thing! Am I correct in reading that I need something else to convert/transcode the files to something that I can transfer to TiVo (pyTivo just transfers)? Is that where FFmpeg comes in?

Do I need to deal with the metadata? I'm not too concerned with whether the show names look pretty in Now Playing - they were pretty ugly using Vuze. As long as I can figure out what they are, I'm good.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Metadata is optional.

pyTivo takes a little fiddling to get going but there is plenty of help both here and in the pyTivo forum (just google).

My recommendation is to start with the installation instructions (for windows I assume?) on the pyTivo wiki:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo
They include a link to download the FFmpeg binary you need. FFmpeg is free software under a GPL license. Basically you can use it for any non-commercial purpose without worrying about legalities.

As you work your way through the installation just post questions and someone will help you.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Hi everyone! I have a Series 2 and a Tivo HD XL that I have been using with Vuze to transfer downloaded recordings to the Tivos. Unfortunately, this setup is pretty glitchy, and for the last few days, Vuze refuses to see the TiVos and vice versa. I'm looking for a more reliable way to transfer downloaded files to the TiVos.

I'm reading a lot here about pyTivo and kmttg, as well as Tivo Desktop (Plus). What would you recommend as a setup to a total newbie trying to transfer recordings? Ideally, I'd like something that will convert files and transfer them.

Thanks!
This is sort of related.

If you haven't already done so, give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address, including those TiVos.

Reduce the size of your router's DHCP address pool to the number of things that do leave the house and have to remain set for DHCP plus 2 or 3 more addresses to allow for the unforseen.

You can start with x.x.x.254 and work your way down.

And then make sure all those fixed addresses are not among the DHCP ones.

You could start with x.x.x.1 for the router and work your way up.

By the time you're using all 250 some addresses on your home network you'll have hired a live in sysadmin to handle all that stuff for you.

Can't hurt, might help (the TiVos always being able to find each other)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
This is sort of related.

If you haven't already done so, give everything on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address, including those TiVos.

Reduce the size of your router's DHCP address pool to the number of things that do leave the house and have to remain set for DHCP plus 2 or 3 more addresses to allow for the unforseen.

You can start with x.x.x.254 and work your way down.

And then make sure all those fixed addresses are not among the DHCP ones.

You could start with x.x.x.1 for the router and work your way up.

By the time you're using all 250 some addresses on your home network you'll have hired a live in sysadmin to handle all that stuff for you.

Can't hurt, might help (the TiVos always being able to find each other)
Thanks - the list of things in my router setup using wifi is pretty staggering. I tried using a fixed IP address for my TiVo HD (the buggier of the 2 for transferring). What I found was that although it would make a daily connection to the TiVo service, it refused to load any new guide data. I had to go back to DHCP.

Any thoughts on what that might be about?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
jmbach

Are you a Windows or Linux person. I just installed pyTiVo 2 days ago and it was easy. There is a good Wiki for installation into Windows. Main issue I had is that I had to open up two ports on the computers firewall to get it to work.

Did you set up static IP on the TiVo or did you set TiVo on DHCP and have your router serve the address based on the units MAC address. If you set it up on the TiVo, did you poke a hole in the routers DHCP service to skip that address.