TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Princeton

Dead TiVo HD - any value

I have a TiVo HD 652 with the original 160 gbyte disk and a blessed 1 terabyte disk. The motherboard is dead. It starts the boot process and continually resets. This box also has a lifetime subscription. Is there any sale value? Where should I try to sell it?
Princeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
I have a TiVo HD 652 with the original 160 gbyte disk and a blessed 1 terabyte disk. The motherboard is dead. It starts the boot process and continually resets. This box also has a lifetime subscription. Is there any sale value? Where should I try to sell it?
Resale value: next to nothing, for the average user.
To someone that can move the chip to a good motherboard $50 or more(?) if you include the external drive, too.

Craig's list or Ebay.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
How do you know it is the MB and not one of the disks or power supply?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Continual rebooting doesn't prove that the motherboard is dead. In fact most of the motherboard probably has to be working for it to start the boot process. Do you have other reasons to suspect the motherboard? You could just have a dead hard drive or a bad power supply.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Princeton

Hard drive is good, as I have two, and the same behavior with both. Before it completely failed, wiggling the power socket would get it going. Where to get PSU?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Where to get PSU?
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Hard drive is good, as I have two, and the same behavior with both. Before it completely failed, wiggling the power socket would get it going. Where to get PSU?
Often the problem is with capacitor plague which is evidenced by slightly bulging domes on the capacitors. If you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron you can replace them for much less than a new supply. Another possibility is to see if there is a non-sub unit on Craigslist for cheap. The power supply may or may not be good in that, though.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
You should sell it to me, cheap.

But seriously, you should see about fixing it.

The motherboard itself is probably okay.

(and the swappable crypto chip for moving the lifetime sub ended with the previous S3 model)

Do you have a spare hard drive available, at least temporarily? SATA and at least 160GB?

You can find my 652 image in the "need an image, don't PM me" thread and load it on said spare drive, and put it in the TiVo in place of the current internal and disconnect the 1TB.

See what the TiVo does then.

And examine the power supply capacitors while you've got the lid off.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
(and the swappable crypto chip for moving the lifetime sub ended with the previous S3 model)
Good to know.
So as TiVo hardware has matured, they have made cracking and hacking impossible, or nearly so?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Princeton

Let me be clear. I have two hard disks - each one is able to boot the TiVo (if it booted). The choice of hard drives makes no difference. The TiVo will not boot. The 1 terabyte disk is not a secondary disk - it is a primary disk also.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Let me be clear. I have two hard disks - each one is able to boot the TiVo (if it booted). The choice of hard drives makes no difference. The TiVo will not boot. The 1 terabyte disk is not a secondary disk - it is a primary disk also.
Before you assume that the mobo is to blame (although it's not impossible), consider the far more likely explanation that the power supply is developing problems and that when the hard drive spins up it draws enough current to sag the voltage and crash the CPU.

Search this site for "capacitor plague".

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
ciper

Princeton : If you haven't sold it already I am interested in it. I think it would be fun to try and desolder the chip from the unit. I tried to send you a private message/email but they are disabled for your account.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Princeton : If you haven't sold it already I am interested in it. I think it would be fun to try and desolder the chip from the unit. I tried to send you a private message/email but they are disabled for your account.
That model does not have a separate crypto chip the way the previous ones did and there's nothing you can do with the PROM to change the TSN, which is what lifetime is tied to.

There's a thread over at DDB where Omikron talks about all that, and that moving the chip that would need to be moved would take specialized and very expensive equipment.

And besides, I saw it first.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
sounds like that the solder joints on the power supply have broken. You might be able to fix it just by resoldering them.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Somehow I missed seeing that about wiggling the power socket.

Had the same thing happen with a TCD24008A supply.

The two pins you see in the socket from the outside go in and make a 90 degree turn straight down into holes on the circuit board where they get soldered in.

If the screws that hold the plastic part of the socket to the board loosen, then those solder connections can break, which means wall socket power is no longer getting to the input side of the power supply.

Find a friend who has a soldering gun and some experience using it.

Of course the power supply could still have capacitors going bad, as well, but the input socket needs fixing before any further diagnosis.

Remember, it's better to plug and unplug at the wall socket end than the back of the TiVo end when possible.

And above all remember, always know where both ends of the power cord are at all times.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
ltxi

Huh...this be why god invented trash cans
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Huh...this be why god invented trash cans
For a lifetimed motherboard? Bite your tongue.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
clark_kent

I have two TiVo HD 652's. Some time ago, the upgraded disk drive died in one of the HD's and I decided to replace it with a Premier. The other day, the other HD would not boot. I changed out the upgraded drive with a new upgraded drive but it still would not boot. No powering up message or anything. I checked the output voltage on the power supply and the reading was fine (but that reading was not under load). In digging around, I discovered the capacitor issue. Sure enough, the top of the output caps have a slight dome shape. This (bad) power supply is a model SPWR-00011-000 RevB0.

I had kept the first HD for spare parts. The power supply in that one is a different model number (SPWR-00011-000) but it does not look like any caps are damaged. I swapped out the bad power supply. I got a powering up screen but that was all. It would not boot. I put the new upgraded drive in the first HD with the (assuming) good power supply but it also would not boot.

I had kept the original 160GB HD drive that, so far, had never ever been booted up. Using that virgin 160GB drive, both of the HD's are not booting up and both have the same symptom:

Plug in the power cord; front lights flash; green light comes on and TV screen says powering up; after a few minutes, the orange light flashes; a short while later, the green light flashes twice; a few seconds later, the TV goes black, the green light goes out; a few seconds later, it starts all over.

The system battery reads ok, but I haven't had a chance to to go get a fresh one to see if by chance that will cure things.

Anyone have any thoughts?
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
I have two TiVo HD 652's. Some time ago, the upgraded disk drive died in one of the HD's and I decided to replace it with a Premier. The other day, the other HD would not boot. I changed out the upgraded drive with a new upgraded drive but it still would not boot. No powering up message or anything. I checked the output voltage on the power supply and the reading was fine (but that reading was not under load). In digging around, I discovered the capacitor issue. Sure enough, the top of the output caps have a slight dome shape. This (bad) power supply is a model SPWR-00011-000 RevB0.

I had kept the first HD for spare parts. The power supply in that one is a different model number (SPWR-00011-000) but it does not look like any caps are damaged. I swapped out the bad power supply. I got a powering up screen but that was all. It would not boot. I put the new upgraded drive in the first HD with the (assuming) good power supply but it also would not boot.

I had kept the original 160GB HD drive that, so far, had never ever been booted up. Using that virgin 160GB drive, both of the HD's are not booting up and both have the same symptom:

Plug in the power cord; front lights flash; green light comes on and TV screen says powering up; after a few minutes, the orange light flashes; a short while later, the green light flashes twice; a few seconds later, the TV goes black, the green light goes out; a few seconds later, it starts all over.

The system battery reads ok, but I haven't had a chance to to go get a fresh one to see if by chance that will cure things.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Those model numbers don't look all that different to me.

Is there an immediately obvious visual difference between the two?

If they are the same, do they look like the one shown here:

third up from the bottom?

You may have an obviously bad supply (bulged caps) and a supply with problems but no visible indications.

Did you do that original drive upgrade yourself? Which software?

Do you have a PC with a non-GigaByte brand motherboard to which you can hook up the drives to test them with the manufacturer's diagnostic software?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
clark_kent

Quote:
Those model numbers don't look all that different to me.

Is there an immediately obvious visual difference between the two?

If they are the same, do they look like the one shown here:

third up from the bottom?

You may have an obviously bad supply (bulged caps) and a supply with problems but no visible indications.

Did you do that original drive upgrade yourself? Which software?

Do you have a PC with a non-GigaByte brand motherboard to which you can hook up the drives to test them with the manufacturer's diagnostic software?
The supply with visibly bad caps is the 3rd from bottom. The supply from the other HD is not pictured. It's possible that it is also had. I'll check voltage reading under load when I have time.

The original upgraded drives were 1TB that I did form the virgin (never booted) original HD drives using mfslive or winmfs don't remember which. All worked fine for years, till recently. I though I read somewhere that you can have a 2TB drive in an HD so when the 2nd HD drive failed I did 2TB using winmfs (I think). I have the Ultimate Boot CD somewhere. I think I can use that to test the drives(?) when I have time. I guess it's possible that the original 160GB drive has gone bad even though it has not been in use.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
The supply with visibly bad caps is the 3rd from bottom. The supply from the other HD is not pictured. It's possible that it is also had. I'll check voltage reading under load when I have time.

The original upgraded drives were 1TB that I did form the virgin (never booted) original HD drives using mfslive or winmfs don't remember which. All worked fine for years, till recently. I though I read somewhere that you can have a 2TB drive in an HD so when the 2nd HD drive failed I did 2TB using winmfs (I think). I have the Ultimate Boot CD somewhere. I think I can use that to test the drives(?) when I have time. I guess it's possible that the original 160GB drive has gone bad even though it has not been in use.
I've got the S3 HD power supply not shown on the weaknees site.

AcBel

Model ST7002 - BW0G

I had to replace C17 and C27, which are both 2200uF, 16V., and are on the +5V line, just upstream of C20 and L3.

(Don't forget you have to use Low ESR, 105 degree rated caps)

Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
clark_kent

Quote:
I've got the S3 HD power supply not shown on the weaknees site.

AcBel

Model ST7002 - BW0G

I had to replace C17 and C27, which are both 2200uF, 16V., and are on the +5V line, just upstream of C20 and L3.

(Don't forget you have to use Low ESR, 105 degree rated caps)
AcBel is the other supply I have.

As far as I can tell, the two different S3 HD power supplies that I have are interchangeable. I can understand manufacture changes over time, but what's the point of weaKnees carrying two different ones when the the two are (most likely) interchangeable? It's also interesting that they offer exchange credit for one but not the other..(?)

Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
AcBel is the other supply I have.

As far as I can tell, the two different S3 HD power supplies that I have are interchangeable. I can understand manufacture changes over time, but what's the point of weaKnees carrying two different ones when the the two are (most likely) interchangeable? It's also interesting that they offer exchange credit for one but not the other..(?)

Thanks for all your help!
They are interchangeable as far as both deliver the same power to the TiVo with the same pinouts on the connectors and both have mounting holes that line up with the mounting point standoffs in the chassis.

Your eyes can tell a difference, your TiVo will never know.

If Weaknees only offers core charge back on the other model, in other words if they don't mess with the Ac Bel at all, there's a niche market for someone to move into.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
clark_kent

Quote:
They are interchangeable as far as both deliver the same power to the TiVo with the same pinouts on the connectors and both have mounting holes that line up with the mounting point standoffs in the chassis.

Your eyes can tell a difference, your TiVo will never know.

If Weaknees only offers core charge back on the other model, in other words if they don't mess with the Ac Bel at all, there's a niche market for someone to move into.
Major bummer... I've changed out the capacitors on both power supplies; tested the WD160 that came with the S3 and the WD2TB and both tested "no errors" with DLGDiag 5.19 short test. The S3's are still not booting up. Both are stuck the initial powering up screen, and I don't hear any drive chatter. Is it possible the original image somehow got corrupted? It's been sitting unused for years. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Is it possible the original image somehow got corrupted? It's been sitting unused for years. Any thoughts?
Anything's possible.

Even though you say the hard drives test OK, I would try a fresh image on a different hard drive (known to work, of course) for testing purposes.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #26
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Anything's possible.

Even though you say the hard drives test OK, I would try a fresh image on a different hard drive (known to work, of course) for testing purposes.
Agreed, just don't overwrite that original 160GB drive.

And did you disable Intellipark on the 2TB with wdidle3?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #27
clark_kent

Quote:
Agreed, just don't overwrite that original 160GB drive.
I'm curious. Why are you suggesting not to overwriting the original drive with a (different) fresh image?

Quote:
And did you disable Intellipark on the 2TB with wdidle3?
Yes.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #28
unitron

Quote:
I'm curious. Why are you suggesting not to overwriting the original drive with a (different) fresh image?

Yes.
Because there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, and it's already set for that TiVo's TSN, and it's not impossible for an image to be bad.

Have you tried any of the kickstart codes yet?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
L David Matheny

Quote:
Major bummer... I've changed out the capacitors on both power supplies; tested the WD160 that came with the S3 and the WD2TB and both tested "no errors" with DLGDiag 5.19 short test. The S3's are still not booting up. Both are stuck the initial powering up screen, and I don't hear any drive chatter. Is it possible the original image somehow got corrupted? It's been sitting unused for years. Any thoughts?
Why not run the DLG diagnostic long test? It will take a while, of course, but it will read every sector on the drive. I'm not sure exactly what the short test reads.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
clark_kent

Quote:
Because there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, and it's already set for that TiVo's TSN, and it's not impossible for an image to be bad.
I'm curious... if that original disk is good but the image is somehow corrupt, what good is the fact that it's got the TSN for that unit? Why not just put a new image on that drive?

Quote:
Have you tried any of the kickstart codes yet?
I've never actually used kickstart for anything (yet). Which one's would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Why not run the DLG diagnostic long test? It will take a while, of course, but it will read every sector on the drive. I'm not sure exactly what the short test reads.
Good idea, it's running now.