TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

backup on network drive possible?

i found a thread from 2011 that said it's not possible but i figured ill try again just in case

i'm buying a router with USB and will hook up a drive to it to backup my laptop

can i somehow use that same USB drive to backup my programs?

edit: all my shows are OTA if that matters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter

Last edited by newsposter : 12-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Someone might slap me around and tell me how wrong I am but from my little experience the only shows you can "backup" are non copy protected shows. In my case on Cox in AZ that is only the broadcast networks.

You would have to use something like TiVo Desktop to copy them to the drive on the router.
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
jcthorne

Yes, you can do what you are asking. Head over to the Home Media section of the forum and read up on kmttg and pytivo. They do different things but both could get you there.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
newsposter
Poster of News

ah i use pytivo to transfer from laptop to tivo so i guess i'm halfway there

reason i ask is this will determine 1 vs 2 tb drive for me to buy

!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
jcthorne

If you already have pytivo set up, go ahead an give that a try. Use the web interface to see your now playing list and select files to transfer from tivo to a drive, local or network.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
newsposter
Poster of News

oh i had no idea...but now that i think about it if i change the directory from the laptop to the other drive when i get it, i guess it should work ?

i just never got a program to transfer back to tivo but i guess i could work on that.

!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
oh i had no idea...but now that i think about it if i change the directory from the laptop to the other drive when i get it, i guess it should work ?

i just never got a program to transfer back to tivo but i guess i could work on that.

I use Pytivo every day to transfer programs back to the tivo.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
mattack

There was an HP server thingamagig that did automatic backups from Tivos, but IIRC, it didn't do exactly what I wanted (it was expensive too).. I personally would want something that backed up from the Tivo but DIDN'T automatically delete.. IIRC, it kept itself mirroring the Tivo contents.

of course you can also do the manual kmttg/pytivo thing.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
newsposter
Poster of News

last night i did a quick experiement, i had no idea pytivo moved the file to the drive, vs copying it. but i learned that last night. i had tried this once before but forget my results back then of the test.

anyway..i must report that the show moved from tivo to laptop then i was able to move it back again by pulling it. (pushes arent workign again for me)

i have to say if backing up somethign means it moves it to the external drive that it is silly. BUT that being said if something meant that much to me i guess i'd move from tivo do the drive, copy it to another directory, then 'move' the original copy back to the tivo

one question: i noticed some shows on the tivo had a symbol on them meaning they couldnt be sent to the tivo. why would this be. i only have OTA so nothing should be copyrighted???

!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
mattack

Do you download any podcasts? Bizarrely, those are copyrighted, even though obviously you can download them again (at least as long as they're in the feed)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
magnus
Tivo User

Netgear ReadyNas can backup your programs all you have to do is mark them as KUID.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Do you download any podcasts? Bizarrely, those are copyrighted, even though obviously you can download them again (at least as long as they're in the feed)
actually now that i'm home i see that it's the stuff ive uploaded from my laptop...so as long as i dont delete the original from the laptop i'm ok

the OTA stuff is downloadable

!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

With kmttg you can choose whether to delete the shows (iPad delete) after transferring to your computer. If you don't want the shows deleted they won't be. I find it has many more features than pytivo by itself and used hand-in-hand with pytivo you can pretty much do anything your heart desires with your files from your TiVo or videos on your computer.

I use it daily as I'm building my video library of old sitcoms on my home server.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
HockeyFan

I have a synology ds211 that works great with kttmg.
Get 40Mb/S transfer. Set it up Iscsi to make it easier
To use it with pytivo/streambaby.

there's many options available.
Research price & features to see what works best for you.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i found a thread from 2011 that said it's not possible but i figured ill try again just in case

i'm buying a router with USB and will hook up a drive to it to backup my laptop

can i somehow use that same USB drive to backup my programs?

edit: all my shows are OTA if that matters
I use TiVo Desktop (free version) to copy shows from my S2s and S3, which are on analog cable.

I have a Buffalo Link Station Pro.

I can give it a drive letter and put a short cut to that letter into the "My TiVo Recordings" folder created when Desktop is installed, and put some shows on the Buffalo and see them once I drill far enough down in the Now Playing lists on the TiVos.

Of course after copying from the TiVos to the MTR folder, I have to manually move the shows to the Link Station.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote