TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
jdwheel1

Copy TiVo shows to new Microsoft Surface (WIN 8 RT)

I am thinking about buying the new MS Surface with WIN 8 RT for watching TV shows on the road (currently do it with a netbook in full HD glory).

Does anyone out there know if this is possible on the RT version of Windows with the native MS load on Surface?

I know I will have to copy the shows to my main PC and massage them some before the copy to the Surface but I want this process to be a easy as possible. I currently use TiVo desktop to copy to the netbook and watch them in full HD.

Thanks for your help. Any suggestions following the K.I.S.S principle (Keep It Super Simple) would be great because I am not a videophile.

Last edited by jdwheel1 : 11-02-2012 at 04:48 PM.
jdwheel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
ShayL

I would take a look at kmttg. You can pull non-copy protected videos and transcode them. You will have to know settings to use for the transcoding.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
tabrock

My steps for copying to Win8RT

The easy way

1. Using Tivo Desktop Plus, set up my transferred shows to convert to iPad mobile device. This puts the converted .mp4 in a folder (by default, mine is in User\My Documents\My TiVo Recordings for Portables\iPad). There are a bunch of things you need to do to make sure Tivo Desktop is working properly, with the Tivo Server process running in background to convert the shows. See the Tivo site for that set up if you don't know how.

2. On my Surface, went into the 'Desktop' and mapped a shared drive to \\MYPC\Users\[my-user]\Documents\My TiVo Recordings for Portables\iPad. Click the box to remember it/reconnect next time.

3. Once you get the folder on your PC open on your Surface, you should see a folder for each show, with 1 or more episodes in the folder(s). Either click the checkbox next to the folder or go into the folder and click the box next to the episode(s) you want.

4. In the toolbar, there is an icon that says 'Copy to'. Tap/Click that, and a drop down appears. Select 'Videos' and the copy should start. Once complete, the videos will appear in your Video app in the 'My Videos' area (swipe all the way to the left).

It's worked fine for me. Make sure you have the latest Surface updates applied. When I initially got the surface, it sometimes didn't seem to support an iPad compatible MP4, but I've had no problems since a windows update was pushed (~2 weeks ago?).
tabrock is offline   Reply With Quote