TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Why Does Tivo Change My Guide!?

Why the f!@# does TiVo keep adding my guide?????

I use an edited guide as my default, and they consistently add channels to it!

It happens about once per week, and its driving me crazy! Ill get up one morning, start going through my guide, and fine like 9 PPV and 3 shopping channels added that I have to wade through...wft??

Just like this morning, I ha some BS Sonic channels added, and about 12 NBAs!

Whats the point of using a custom guide, if those idiots wont leave it alone!?

Sorry about the rant, but I am sick of spending so much time editing my custom guide back to where I had it set. Is there any way to stop them from doing this??

Thanks, and happy belated turkey day!
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
efilippi
Registered User
 
efilippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mundelein, Il
Posts: 4,039
I didnt even know that one could have a custom guide!


Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
__________________
Ed
Comcast cable Blast
Tivo HD XL
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,817
This doesn't happen on my Premieres on FiOS. But I also use the "favorites". I do know that any time there a channel change message, that the channel will then show up in the "my channels" list. But that does not affect the "favorites" list so I don't see them.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Ill clarify...

Under the Guide options ("Enter" while in Guide) it gives you 3 viewing options;

"All" "Favorites" & "Channels you Receive"

"All" is self explanatory...the guide will display *everything* available from the sat.

"Favorites" will display a custom guide list, that you set up under channel setting.

"Channels you Receive" is the list determined by yourself as well. Think of it as a larger "Favorite" guide with the exception that any program you have in you Favorites *must* be included in this list.

To edit this list; "Tivo Central" -> "Read New Messages & Settings" -> "Settings" -> "Channels" which will display your Channel List as seen below. From there, you can add (check) or delete (un-check) which channels will appear on you guide (provided "Channels you Receive" is selected).

This is were TiVo adds channels apparently at their discretion.

Any help?


__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
nrc
Cracker Soul
 
nrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Living in a four letter world.
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
"Channels you Receive" is the list determined by yourself as well. Think of it as a larger "Favorite" guide with the exception that any program you have in you Favorites *must* be included in this list.

To edit this list; "Tivo Central" -> "Read New Messages & Settings" -> "Settings" -> "Channels" which will display your Channel List as seen below. From there, you can add (check) or delete (un-check) which channels will appear on you guide (provided "Channels you Receive" is selected).

This is were TiVo adds channels apparently at their discretion.
"Channels you receive" is not intended to be a "larger Favorites guide". It's intended to be all the channels that you receive. TiVo adds new channels to that list (as it should) and notifies you so that you can exclude them if you like.

If you use the actual Favorites list as intended you won't have this problem.
__________________

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
"Channels you receive" is not intended to be a "larger Favorites guide".
What other purpose could it serve then?

Quote:
...It's intended to be all the channels that you receive.
Incorrect. "All" shows all channels received from the sat. "channels you Receive" is an editable list for your guide listing.

Quote:
TiVo adds new channels to that list (as it should) and notifies you so that you can exclude them if you like.
These are NOT new channels. These are existing channels that somehow get checked in my "Channel List". When TiVo adds a *new* channel, it only appears in my "All" list, and I have never been prompted to keep/remove.

Quote:
If you use the actual Favorites list as intended you won't have this problem.
I use my Favorite list as just that, my favorites. I use the Channel list to edit down my guide. I see no need having 100+ music channels, porn, PPVs, and premium movie channels in my guide if I never watch them.

Again, my continual problem is my equipment, DirecTV, or TiVo "checking channels" in my Channel list section.
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
"Channels you receive" is not intended to be a "larger Favorites guide". It's intended to be all the channels that you receive. TiVo adds new channels to that list (as it should) and notifies you so that you can exclude them if you like.

If you use the actual Favorites list as intended you won't have this problem.
And when you exclude them, they don't show up in the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Incorrect. "All" shows all channels received from the sat. "channels you Receive" is an editable list for your guide listing.
Gasturbine is correct. Channels you receive is editable, and almost all of us use it to filter out channels we don't want to see in the guide, or to make sure aren't recorded from (by ARWL or other auto-record settings).

I wish I had an answer, this has to be frustrating.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
efilippi
Registered User
 
efilippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mundelein, Il
Posts: 4,039
I'm with nrc on this one. Channels you receive is a signal to Tivo that you have access to this channel and that channel is then available for recording. Favorite channels is a subset of the Channels you receive.

My signal is provided by Comcast and Tivo used that to load all possible Comcast channels into my channel list. If I did nothing, Channels you receive and All channels would be the same. (I think the default is all channels shown as received, been a while since I had to do that.) I don't subscribe to certain premium channels so I go in and uncheck them from the All list and they are then removed from Channels I receive. If I didn't do that, my list of available movies, for example, would include lots that I don't pay for. Recording them would result in a couple hours of blank recording.

One can, of course, tell Tivo that we do not receive certain channels even though we do indeed receive them. That choice tells Tivo to ignore those channels and not record them even though there is a signal there.
__________________
Ed
Comcast cable Blast
Tivo HD XL

Last edited by efilippi : 11-23-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: corrected a misstatement in the italicized bit
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
'All channels' is all the channels available to you.
'Channels you receive' are the channels that you check in the channel list. These are the channels you might want to watch/have the Tivo record from.
'Favorites' is just a subset of 'channels you receive'.

I use the guide much like the OP. I use OTA only, and you wouldn't believe the crap available now that the digital age has reached OTA TV.
I uncheck all the channels I don't care about (Spanish, Religious, 24 hr infomercials, etc.). These channels won't be used to record Suggestions or ARWL's.
But, because the guide gives you the option to view 'all' channels, you can still tune to and record from any channel in your list if you choose to do so.

I don't know what's happening to the OP, though. Any time I've had a new channel added, I have to go into the channel list and check it if I want it to be added to my 'channels you receive' list (IIRC).
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,019
"All channels" is all the channels you could theoretically pick up from a given TV provider, including all the ones you aren't subscribed to. "Channels you receive" should mainly exclude the channels you aren't subscribed to -- though, yes, I also use it to exclude all SD channels with an HD equivalent. But if I were to use it merely to omit channels I didn't like, it would reduce the effectiveness of auto-recording wishlists, which will sometimes find desired programs on otherwise-undesired channels.

New channels get added automatically to "Channels you receive", unless they're flagged as premium channels, because the TiVo doesn't know whether you're subscribed or not -- and, like it or not, CYR is intended to be a complete list of subscribed channels. That's how it's designed. If you want a shorter list, use Favorites. It's not that hard.

BUT, the OP's main problem is hinted at in phrases like "from the sat", and words like "DirecTV". DirecTV is notorious for doing this, seemingly with the explicit purpose of getting certain channels to stay in the CYR list. They "delete" channels from their lineup and then immediately re-add them, so that they appear to the TiVo as "new" channels, thwarting its usual logic. This is just one of the ways in which DirecTV sucks, especially when it comes to TiVo.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,978
I'm with the OP on this one, but I learned to live with it a long time ago. If you have a TiVo with DirecTV and use the CYR to exclude the crap channels you just have to keep removing them.

One thing I liked about the Series 1s was that they didn't add the "new" channels automatically.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
"All channels" is all the channels you could theoretically pick up from a given TV provider, including all the ones you aren't subscribed to. "Channels you receive" should mainly exclude the channels you aren't subscribed to -- though, yes, I also use it to exclude all SD channels with an HD equivalent. But if I were to use it merely to omit channels I didn't like, it would reduce the effectiveness of auto-recording wishlists, which will sometimes find desired programs on otherwise-undesired channels.
Agreed, but since I dont use auto-record or wishlist that point is moot for me.

Quote:
New channels get added automatically to "Channels you receive", unless they're flagged as premium channels, because the TiVo doesn't know whether you're subscribed or not
Again, it is not always new channels that are added, and I do see a trend. For example, at the start of Basketball season TiVo will "check" all the NBA channels in my CYR. Ditto when a block buster movie come out...all (or most) of my PPVs gets checked. And I really wouldnt mind if they did just new channels, but thats not whats happening.

Quote:
-- and, like it or not, CYR is intended to be a complete list of subscribed channels.
I disagree. If that were true, why would it be editable?

Quote:
That's how it's designed. If you want a shorter list, use Favorites. It's not that hard.
As previously stated, I use Favorites for what it is intended for.

There are 3 different guide viewing options. "All" and "Favorites" are easy to understand. The confusion comes in under "Channels you Receive". This really should be something like "Your custom Guide" or something like that, because THAT list, is indeed editable.

Quote:
BUT, the OP's main problem is hinted at in phrases like "from the sat", and words like "DirecTV". DirecTV is notorious for doing this, seemingly with the explicit purpose of getting certain channels to stay in the CYR list. They "delete" channels from their lineup and then immediately re-add them, so that they appear to the TiVo as "new" channels, thwarting its usual logic. This is just one of the ways in which DirecTV sucks, especially when it comes to TiVo.
Correct. I too suspect, as stated above, it is a marketing ploy, but Im not sure if its coming from DirecTV or TiVo, however, other channels appear on occasion too, so I dont know entirely whats going on. I will log a complaint with my provider to start things off.

Thanks!
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I'm with the OP on this one, but I learned to live with it a long time ago. If you have a TiVo with DirecTV and use the CYR to exclude the crap channels you just have to keep removing them.
Thanks gg, but Im still go to complain. I doubt anything will come of it, but Ill let you know their response...if any.
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
'All channels' is all the channels available to you.
'Channels you receive' are the channels that you check in the channel list. These are the channels you might want to watch/have the Tivo record from.
'Favorites' is just a subset of 'channels you receive'.
Exactly correct!

And my issue is "who-ever" (re-) checking existing channels in my CYR setting on its own.
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
And just clarify my setup...I live in the sticks, I dont know if I could even go OTA, and cable is not available either, so I am tied to satellite for everything.

And...I absolutely love my system, and my service (DirecTV) is sufficient, aside from this rather frustrating thorn in my side.

Regards, and go Buckeyes...beat Michigan!
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
I disagree. If that were true, why would it be editable?
Because, for one thing, the TiVo doesn't know what channels you're subscribed to. It delegates that task to you.

You may object that, when you tune to an unsubscribed channel, the TiVo pops up a notice. But you have to actually try to tune the channel for that to happen. The TiVo would have to do a scan of all channels to build the list, which still wouldn't tell it when new ones came or went. Also, this three-list system was brought over from the analog TiVo world, where even the scan method might not work.

Quote:
Im not sure if its coming from DirecTV or TiVo
It's coming from DirecTV. It doesn't happen with other services. (I mean, yes, you get new channels added automatically, but you don't get existing channels constantly re-added.)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
This is were TiVo adds channels apparently at their discretion.
Nope. 'No discretion on their part. In fact there isn't even any action taken on the part of TiVo, Inc, or any person who works there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
What other purpose could it serve then?
The design intent is to make sure the user's channel list is kept up to date. When I had Time Warner Cable service, they changed, moved, or removed channels by the handful on a weekly basis. Keeping track of that would have been a nightmare.

What the intent of the data provider is, I cannot say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
These are NOT new channels. These are existing channels that somehow get checked in my "Channel List". When TiVo adds a *new* channel, it only appears in my "All" list, and I have never been prompted to keep/remove.
The fact DTV is monkeying around with their channel list is in no way TiVo's fault. Go gripe at DTV if you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
And my issue is "who-ever" (re-) checking existing channels in my CYR setting on its own.
You are missing the point. Your Tivo does not "check" its guide list and compare it to... well I don't know to what you think is it being compared. Now that I think of it, just what is it to which you think your list is being compared and found somehow different and in need of change?

I'm not entirely sure how it works on a DirecTiVo (Tribune media may not be involved), but in fact, what happens with other TiVos is the provider sends a notice of a channel change to Tribune Media, and they forward this information to TiVo, who distributes it under the appropriate provider listing to your TiVo. Since the guide data comes directly from DTV in your case, and since the provider is a foregone conclusion, the update info for you may be submitted directly from DTV to you, but in any case the lineup changes come ultimately from the provider. TiVo has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Agreed, but since I dont use auto-record or wishlist that point is moot for me.
Well, then, that is part of your problem. No one says you have to use wishlists (although I fail to see much use for a TiVo without them), but your decision not to employ them is in part what is causing your perceived issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Again, it is not always new channels that are added, and I do see a trend. For example, at the start of Basketball season TiVo will "check" all the NBA channels in my CYR. Ditto when a block buster movie come out...all (or most) of my PPVs gets checked.
And yes, again, the TiVo isn't "checking" anything. It is being sent that information from your provider. The fact it is perhaps not truly a new channel, but only being made to look as if it is a new channel is once again not TiVo's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
And I really wouldnt mind if they did just new channels, but thats not whats happening.
So once again, complain to DTV. They are the ones doing it. Why would you think it is TiVo doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
I disagree. If that were true, why would it be editable?
Primarily, because TiVo has no way to know if you do, in fact, receive the channel, or if perhaps you called DTV 30 minutes ago to add or remove the channel from your account. It is still an available channel, whether you subscribe to it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
There are 3 different guide viewing options. "All" and "Favorites" are easy to understand. The confusion comes in under "Channels you Receive".
The confusion seems to be yours. Either through Tribune Media or perhaps in your case directly the provider sends out a list of channels available to their subscribers. The ones for which you actually pay and are authorized to receive are a perfectly personal matter, and can change from day to day.

Yes, I think most of us indeed do use the "Channels you Receive" list to eliminate channels from the guide data which we feel likely (or certain) we will never wish to watch. I immediately eliminate ESPN and all sports channels whenever I get a TiVo, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
This really should be something like "Your custom Guide" or something like that, because THAT list, is indeed editable.
Here I really don't know what you are trying to say.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Correct. I too suspect, as stated above, it is a marketing ploy, but Im not sure if its coming from DirecTV or TiVo
I have no idea whether it is the case, but if so it is certainly not the design intent of the guide data engine.

Assuming for the moment it is a marketing ploy, however, exactly how would TiVo have any skin in the game? They don't sell you those channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
however, other channels appear on occasion too, so I dont know entirely whats going on. I will log a complaint with my provider to start things off.
And to finish things off. It's their data about which you are kvetching.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
While I appreciate all input, it is obvious you do not understand the issue. In fact, you even stated you didnt understand one of my simple statements.

Also, It already has been determined the changes are from DirecTV, not TiVo, so no need to beat that horse.

You are also forgetting these are *GUIDE VIEWING OPTIONS*. It really has little to do with what programming is provided, owned by who, or how they decimate it.

And simply because you dont see the value in having TiVo without using certain features, is nothing more than a rather uneducated opinion, and has absolutely no relation to my issue at hand.

And my issues are not "perceived", they are real, and many have confirmed them.

Regards.

And congratulations to The Ohio State Buckeyes, in beating Michigan! And in doing so, one of only six times the team has ended with a perfect season in 123 years of the program! 12-0!
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
While I appreciate all input, it is obvious you do not understand the issue. In fact, you even stated you didnt understand one of my simple statements.
I understand the issue perfectly well. DTV is playing musical chairs with their schedule line-up, and it is giving you grief in part because of your selection habits. Your statement was nonsensical. It starts with an unclear prior reference (to what does "This" refer?), apparently makes reference to a non-existent (but obviously desired by you) feature called ""Your custom Guide" and finishes once again with an unclear prior reference ("THAT"). I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out for what you are asking if you cannot be clear, and especially if, as seems the case, you are asking for a feature to be created which TiVo is unlikely to provide and which is unnecessary in any case.

Stop using the guide, and these problems would all but disappear entirely. Start using wishlists, and their existence becomes virtually entirely moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Also, It already has been determined the changes are from DirecTV, not TiVo, so no need to beat that horse.
Fine. It was only half of the point, however. Whether you got the other half or not is not in evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
You are also forgetting these are *GUIDE VIEWING OPTIONS*. It really has little to do with what programming is provided, owned by who, or how they decimate it.
No, you continue to miss the point they are NOT guide viewing options. First of all, viewing the guide at all is a really stupid idea. It serves little or no purpose, wastes a huge amount of time, and results in a far poorer recording schedule than other means available on the TiVo*.

Secondly, although the "Channels I Receive" list can be used to eliminate channels one does not wish to see - I already admitted many of us use it in this manner, such is not its intent. It's intent is to make sure all channels you receive are available for recording and viewing. It does so tolerably well, given the fact it is necessarily dependent upon the data provided by the CATV systems and DTV. That it does not suit your wishes - again admittedly in major part due to DTV's activities - is not TiVo's problem, nor ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
And simply because you dont see the value in having TiVo without using certain features, is nothing more than a rather uneducated opinion, and has absolutely no relation to my issue at hand.
Where do I even start? The wishlist is by a wide margin the most powerful feature of the TiVo. With no ability to use any other feature (including any form of guide), properly crafted wishlists could produce virtually every recording one might choose via some other means, and can produce a vast array of recordings available through no other means. Without it, the TiVo is nearly as worthless as the DVRs supplied by CATV systems.

Secondly, I am not uneducated in any respect, certainly not in the inner and outer workings of TiVos in general. Just because I (and others) recognize you are failing to take advantage of utilities that would mitigate your issues does not make any of us uneducated in any respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
And my issues are not "perceived", they are real, and many have confirmed them.
Real or not is not the question. The problem at hand is your perception of the cause of the issue. Its effects FOR YOU are embedded in your actions due in part to your misconceptions. If you understood how the TiVo works and what features already extant on the TiVo can address the problem about which you are complaining, then the level of problems you are having would be less and it is much less likely you would ever have started this thread. It is almost entirely a matter of perception, the underlying facts notwithstanding.

That is not to say DTV's actions are not annoying (annoyance is a matter of perception, BTW), but you have two choices:
1. Beat your head against a brick wall trying to get DTV to change their policies.
2. Amend your habits in such a way that DTV's policies are rather less annoying.

* - I'm not familiar with the new DirecTiVo. If they did the same bone-headed thing they did with the Premiere, then this is sadly no longer true, and your beef has more merit.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-25-2012 at 10:19 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I understand the issue perfectly well. DTV is playing musical chairs with their schedule line-up, and it is giving you grief in part because of your selection habits.
It has NOTHING to do with my selection habits.

Quote:
Your statement was nonsensical. It starts with an unclear prior reference (to what does "This" refer?), apparently makes reference to a non-existent (but obviously desired by you) feature called ""Your custom Guide" and finishes once again with an unclear prior reference ("THAT").
It seems you are the only one not clear on my issue. All others have understood it perfectly well.

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out for what you are asking if you cannot be clear, and especially if, as seems the case, you are asking for a feature to be created which TiVo is unlikely to provide and which is unnecessary in any case.
Im sorry to are unable to grasp it. The issue, IMHO, is a simple one, and it appears others agree.

Quote:
Stop using the guide, and these problems would all but disappear entirely. Start using wishlists, and their existence becomes virtually entirely moot.
LOL! I could throw away my TV too, and that would alleviate my problem as well!

Quote:
No, you continue to miss the point they are NOT guide viewing options.
Incorrect. Indeed they are.

Quote:
First of all, viewing the guide at all is a really stupid idea. It serves little or no purpose, wastes a huge amount of time, and results in a far poorer recording schedule than other means available on the TiVo*.
Do you have any idea how pompous and arrogant you sound, dictating to people how THEY should choose THEIR programming?

Maybe you could contact TiVo, tell them your credentials, and demand they remove the guide entirely, since it is "stupid", "serves no purpose" and "wastes a huge amount of time".

You can tell them how superior you are, and that all of us lowly lemmings have no clue as to what we are doing.

Quote:
Secondly, although the "Channels I Receive" list can be used to eliminate channels one does not wish to see - I already admitted many of us use it in this manner, such is not its intent.
I disagree. It would NOT be editable if that were the case.

Quote:
It's intent is to make sure all channels you receive are available for recording and viewing. It does so tolerably well, given the fact it is necessarily dependent upon the data provided by the CATV systems and DTV.
I dont recognize your authority to make such a claim. Are you an engineer for TiVo?

Quote:
That it does not suit your wishes - again admittedly in major part due to DTV's activities - is not TiVo's problem, nor ours.
[sigh] Dead horse...

Quote:
Where do I even start? The wishlist is by a wide margin the most powerful feature of the TiVo. With no ability to use any other feature (including any form of guide), properly crafted wishlists could produce virtually every recording one might choose via some other means, and can produce a vast array of recordings available through no other means. Without it, the TiVo is nearly as worthless as the DVRs supplied by CATV systems.
Thank you for your OPINION.

Quote:
Secondly, I am not uneducated in any respect, certainly not in the inner and outer workings of TiVos in general. Just because I (and others) recognize you are failing to take advantage of utilities that would mitigate your issues does not make any of us uneducated in any respect.
So what? Is that what this is...you tearing me (us) down to prove you are superior and more knowledgeable on the subject?

Quote:
Real or not is not the question. The problem at hand is your perception of the cause of the issue. Its effects FOR YOU are embedded in your actions due in part to your misconceptions.
Misconceptions?? Is ther something wrong with you?? Your the one who indicated my issue was "perceived", as if again, to insult my intelligence or otherwise fulfill your status as a internet arm-chair know-it-all.

Quote:
If you understood how the TiVo works and what features already extant on the TiVo can address the problem about which you are complaining, then the level of problems you are having would be less and it is much less likely you would ever have started this thread. It is almost entirely a matter of perception, the underlying facts notwithstanding.
Wow. Thats all I can say.

Im beginning to think you just like to hear yourself talk.

Quote:
That is not to say DTV's actions are not annoying (annoyance is a matter of perception, BTW), but you have two choices:
Perception...yes...thats the ticket...its all in my head...its not really happening.

I bow to your superior wisdom, and apologize for wasting the time of the exulted one. I am simply not worthy...

Quote:
1. Beat your head against a brick wall trying to get DTV to change their policies.
2. Amend your habits in such a way that DTV's policies are rather less annoying.
Thank you for sharing your most invaluable knowledge. Since I now know you are the omnipotent one, I shall never grace these pages with such ridiculous issues, that obviously wastes your time...time you could be using to direct others so misguided and ignorant as I.

Again, my apologies...perhaps someday I will be worthy to post to the same pages were the throne is dictated by the 6500+ posts one puts on an internet forum. A goal certainly recognized by the world wide population, and their leaders as well.

I envy you...
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,661
Gentlemen -- I submit that you are both wrong.

"All channels" is the set of possible channels that one might receive, for those who can afford to subscribe to everything.

"Channels you receive" is editable so you can take out the channels for the packages you don't subscribe to.

"Favorites" is a list of channels which are actually, you know, your favorites.

Many people edit "Channels You Receive" even further to remove the channels they won't watch -- e.g. channels in Spanish if they don't speak Spanish; shopping channels, if they don't care about that sort of thing; the SD versions of channels if they have HD (or vice-versa); and so on.

There's a very good reason to do this, especially if you use wishlists -- otherwise, an ARWL will fill up your drive with stuff you don't want, like duplicate recordings from the SD and HD channels.

I've only had standalone TiVos, so I can't duplicate what is happening with the OP's channels, but the principle of taking channels you dislike out of the "Channels You Receive" list, as well as the ones you don't have a subscription to, is a common practice. However, I don't see the point in wanting to rename the "Channels You Receive" list, simply because some of us like to do that tweak. IMHO the system works fine the way it is.

I see where it would be annoying for channels to keep turning up again and again in your CYR because a provider keeps moving them, but jeez. Just edit the CYR list again and take them out again. What's the big deal?
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Gentlemen -- I submit that you are both wrong.

"All channels" is the set of possible channels that one might receive, for those who can afford to subscribe to everything.
If you are talking about the guide setting, there is an exceedingly simple solution: Don't use the guide. I haven't, not once, in twelve years. Using the guide is an exceedingly poor idea. It wastes a tremendous amount of time and inevitably results in many missed recordings. The TiVo quite properly ignores the unfiltered list of channels. Only the guide has the option to ignore the CYR list, but then since using the guide is a bad idea in the first place, it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
"Channels you receive" is editable so you can take out the channels for the packages you don't subscribe to.
As I said, that is its design intent, yes. CYR is an actual database filter and part of the TiVo's scheduling engines. That is why it is accessed under Settings & Messages => Settings => Channels, right next to the Channel Scan and Signal Strength menus. That its use can be extended to allow the exclusion of channels in which one has no interest is not really relevant to the intent, but it does allow the user to modify the behavior of the TiVo in a way they may well choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
"Favorites" is a list of channels which are actually, you know, your favorites.
It's part of the same database. It's a pretty useless distinction, based upon the frivolous assumption one knows or cares which channels carry what and how often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Many people edit "Channels You Receive" even further to remove the channels they won't watch -- e.g. channels in Spanish if they don't speak Spanish; shopping channels, if they don't care about that sort of thing; the SD versions of channels if they have HD (or vice-versa); and so on.
Yes, we do, at least on S3 and below TiVos. It's useful when browsing the so-called Title list. TiVo has made this all but irrelevant in the S4. Why, I'll never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
There's a very good reason to do this, especially if you use wishlists -- otherwise, an ARWL will fill up your drive with stuff you don't want, like duplicate recordings from the SD and HD channels.
For the most part only if the wishlists are poorly crafted. "Filling up" the TiVo is not very relevant. A properly configured and maintained TiVo is always full, although admittedly duplicates are not desirable. That said, I also of course do eliminate SD channels - whether they are duplicates or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I've only had standalone TiVos, so I can't duplicate what is happening with the OP's channels
Oh, I've seen it, too, back when I had Time Warner Cable service. They do some of the same thing on a more or less regular basis. It was mildly annoying. My current CATV provider has only done it once or twice, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
but the principle of taking channels you dislike out of the "Channels You Receive" list, as well as the ones you don't have a subscription to, is a common practice. However, I don't see the point in wanting to rename the "Channels You Receive" list, simply because some of us like to do that tweak. IMHO the system works fine the way it is.
Agreed. First of all, re-naming something is meaningless. A name is just a label, and has no value in and of itself. Secondly, however, all you have done here for the most part is re-iterate much of what I already said. How does that make me "wrong"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I see where it would be annoying for channels to keep turning up again and again in your CYR because a provider keeps moving them, but jeez. Just edit the CYR list again and take them out again. What's the big deal?
That's what I want to know, mostly. If the CYR functionality were better, a feature for which I have asked for years, then it would be almost totally moot.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
"Favorites" is a list of channels which are actually, you know, your favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's part of the same database. It's a pretty useless distinction, based upon the frivolous assumption one knows or cares which channels carry what and how often.
Favorites can serve a purpose. "Useless distinction" is your opinion, because one can care what channels carry what. Allow me to expound.

I use CYR like most all of us do. All the channels I get that I want to watch/record, eliminating those that serve no purpose to me (Spanish, SD dupes, etc).

I like to record movies and save them for future viewing. About once a week, I'll scroll thru all the HD movies on premium channels that don't have commercials, pick the ones I want to record, and add them to an ARWL. To save time in the guide, I've set up Favorites to be those channels that meet my movie criteria. So I quickly swap guide types, then scroll thru movies, do my thing in the ARWL, then set back to CYR for normal guide use.

It's always interesting to me how some feature that I can never figure out why someone wants, or how it's used or that it even exists, turns out to be a really neat trick, when explained by someone who's figured out some slick way to use it. It takes an open mind to learn these new tricks.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
For the most part only if the wishlists are poorly crafted. "Filling up" the TiVo is not very relevant. A properly configured and maintained TiVo is always full, although admittedly duplicates are not desirable. That said, I also of course do eliminate SD channels - whether they are duplicates or not.

.... Secondly, however, all you have done here for the most part is re-iterate much of what I already said. How does that make me "wrong"?
We disagree on the usefulness of the Guide. I sometimes feel I am the only person on TCF that likes the TiVo Live Guide. It was especially useful during the Olympics, to scan quickly which of the seven networks had something on air at any given time, and during the baseball playoffs and World Series, where the show title changed for each championship series.

If I know a game is coming up in the next few hours, it is much quicker to go into the Guide, find it, and set up the SP from there, than it is to go into the Search by Title or other menus. I do understand, however, that if you never watch Live TV, the Live Guide will not be much use to you.

It's entirely possible I'm not using the wishlists to their best potential. I have two S1s (recently retired) and one TiVoHD, and I'm used to setting up WLs with the features I had on the S1. However, there are some WLs which I can't AR because I can't narrow them down enough. For the football games played at my alma mater, for instance, I have category sports and college football (I can't remember offhand if there's a subcategory or I used a keyword) and "Florida". This grabs all the colleges which have Florida in the title, not just UF. Using NOT is not an option, since the other schools I would usually exclude might turn up as the opponent. So instead of setting the WL to AR, I do a search and cherry-pick the games I want when they are available, or search through the Guide and select the recording from there.

For the most part, I never have large hard drives, so at certain times (e.g. during the Olympics), I do have to aggressively manage the NPL to keep from losing shows I haven't watched or archived yet. I acquired the habit of leaving some slack space from my early days, when I found my S1s would stutter and have pixelation if they got too full.

My "why did they do that" lament: sort by expiration date. I used that on the S1s constantly, because I could tell at a glance by what date/time I had to do something before a show would get deleted. Knowing that was FAR more useful than any free space indicator could be. I don't know why they got rid of that feature; perhaps with the advent of the larger hard drives, it became too burdensome.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Favorites can serve a purpose. "Useless distinction" is your opinion, because one can care what channels carry what. Allow me to expound.
Why bother when the TiVo can take care of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I use CYR like most all of us do. All the channels I get that I want to watch/record, eliminating those that serve no purpose to me (Spanish, SD dupes, etc).
Yes. To that extent, one must investigate what is on which channel, but after these are filtered out, it becomes a moot issue. I immediately forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I like to record movies and save them for future viewing.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
About once a week, I'll scroll thru all the HD movies on premium channels that don't have commercials, pick the ones I want to record, and add them to an ARWL.
About once every two weeks, I browse the list of HD movies that are on any channel I have not de-selected as not receiving. If I spot an interesting one that the TiVo has not already slated to record (it usually has), then I select it to record. There is no reason I would limit this to some arbitrary list of "favorite channels", especially since I have no idea what would constitute a "favorite". Looking at the list of programs I have archived, I see that Turner Classic Movies (I have no idea what channel number it is currently assigned) is my historical favorite, with 179 movies archived from it. There are quite a few channels, including the local NBC affiliate, SpikeTV, Hallmark, etc. from which only one show has been recorded, but had I eliminated those from my manual search, there is a fair chance they might have been missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
To save time in the guide, I've set up Favorites to be those channels that meet my movie criteria. So I quickly swap guide types, then scroll thru movies, do my thing in the ARWL, then set back to CYR for normal guide use.
But it is still a chronological guide. No matter what you do, there are going to be massive numbers of duplicates, because the content providers - especially premium channels - habitually broadcast each show multiple times throughout the two week period of the guide data. Using the non-chronological "Title" list reduces the size of the listing by perhaps 75% or more. It's going to be recorded (or not) so when a show will be on is largely irrelevant, yet the guide unnecessarily ties one to the time and channel. What's more, browsing through a list of more than 15,000 non-unique, chronologically sorted titles means one has to try to remember whether one has already addressed the one being scrutinized, or not. Limiting to a list of perhaps 3000 - 3500 unique titles in alphabetical order eliminates such issues entirely, and cuts the amount of time one must spend perusing the list by at least 80%.

Of course, if one only has a Premiere, this isn't possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's always interesting to me how some feature that I can never figure out why someone wants, or how it's used or that it even exists, turns out to be a really neat trick, when explained by someone who's figured out some slick way to use it. It takes an open mind to learn these new tricks.
Absolutely. I did not think of using "Record all, including duplicates" along with selective positioning in the SPM in order to eliminate the impact of most conflicts myself. I also got the inkling of the idea of Find Programs => Search by Title => HD => Movies => No sub-category => 0 from someone else and then refined it. I have an open mind, but that does not mean I have not investigated many proposed ideas and then discarded them or later abandoned them later for better ideas.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
We disagree on the usefulness of the Guide. I sometimes feel I am the only person on TCF that likes the TiVo Live Guide. It was especially useful during the Olympics, to scan quickly which of the seven networks had something on air at any given time
Why would you care? When it is on is largely irrelevant. Either you want to record it or not. Selecting it ten days ahead of time doesn't make it any less desirable to watch.

The point here is you can spend literally hundreds of hours dealing with a highly inefficient and ineffective guide, or you can spend a handful of hours dealing with an efficient and effective list. If you spot something you want to watch that the TiVo has not already selected for you, then you will select it to be recorded. It makes no difference whatsoever if it is ten minutes from now or ten days from now. The only difference is, having selected everything you might want to watch over the next 12 days, you won't need to do it again for another 12 days, and the amount of time it takes to browse the 12 day filtered list is less than that required to browse even a single day in the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
and during the baseball playoffs and World Series, where the show title changed for each championship series.
Since I had absolutely no desire to watch the World Series, the point is somewhat moot for me, but even had I done so, it probably would have been faster to go to Search => Title => Sports => Baseball => 0. It almost surely would have been faster to create a wishlist (ARWL or not) with Sports as the category and Baseball as the sub-category, keyword "Series". Even if not, however, in the vast majority of cases, other searches are far faster and more effective than the guide. Using it preferentially will literally eat up months of your life. (A very conservative estimate is 5 minutes / night x 365 days a year x 30 years = 38 days.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
If I know a game is coming up in the next few hours, it is much quicker to go into the Guide, find it, and set up the SP from there, than it is to go into the Search by Title or other menus.
First of all, it isn't, really, but more to the point why in general would you know this? I'm not saying it is absurd you might know when a particular game might be broadcast, but knowing what channel requires some level of research and mental effort. 'Not much for one program, of course, but added up over a lifetime it becomes a rather large amount. More importantly, knowing this for one game is not much of a chore, but knowing it for all games in which you might be interested is a phenomenal task, requiring literally hours and hours of research using a guide. Why bother, when the TiVo can do it for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I do understand, however, that if you never watch Live TV, the Live Guide will not be much use to you.
Yes, but it is more fundamental than that. It is a matter of spending enless hours of your own time doing research with the guide, or letting the TiVo do all that tedious work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It's entirely possible I'm not using the wishlists to their best potential.
Or other features. Wishlists are the most powerful resource on the TiVo, but they are not the only one, and they are not the best for every situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I have two S1s (recently retired) and one TiVoHD, and I'm used to setting up WLs with the features I had on the S1. However, there are some WLs which I can't AR because I can't narrow them down enough.
OK, so don't make them AR. Browsing a manual WL is still faster than browsing the guide, and you only have to do it once every two weeks or so. Of course, one can browse two weeks worth of guide, as well, but that takes forever. Admittedly, sports are the one thing that is less inefficient with the guide than other things since few sporting events are re-broadcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
For the football games played at my alma mater, for instance, I have category sports and college football (I can't remember offhand if there's a subcategory or I used a keyword) and "Florida". This grabs all the colleges which have Florida in the title, not just UF. Using NOT is not an option, since the other schools I would usually exclude might turn up as the opponent. So instead of setting the WL to AR, I do a search and cherry-pick the games I want when they are available, or search through the Guide and select the recording from there.
Try Search => Title => Sports => Football once every ten days or so. Pick the ones you want. Forget about the schedule for ten days. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
For the most part, I never have large hard drives, so at certain times (e.g. during the Olympics), I do have to aggressively manage the NPL to keep from losing shows I haven't watched or archived yet.
Forgetting all else, I most assuredly suggest you upgrade the drives in your TiVos. Not only does it eliminate space issues, it provides an extremely valuable backup resource. Increase the size of the primary drive, and then set the original on the shelf so that when the new hard drive fails, you can simply swap the old one back and be up and running in a matter of minutes. Then you can order another large drive at your leisure and not miss a lot of recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
My "why did they do that" lament: sort by expiration date. I used that on the S1s constantly, because I could tell at a glance by what date/time I had to do something before a show would get deleted. Knowing that was FAR more useful than any free space indicator could be. I don't know why they got rid of that feature; perhaps with the advent of the larger hard drives, it became too burdensome.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. With groups off, and sort by date on, even the Premiere sorts by recording date with Suggestions set off separately. It's true this is not precisely the same as sorting by expiration date, but it is approximately so. I don't think it was burdensome, just mostly unnecessary with larger drives. You are absolutely correct about the space indicator. It still is far more effective. A large drive is essential, however, and with 1T drives going for about $50, there is no good excuse not to upgrade.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Even if not, however, in the vast majority of cases, other searches are far faster and more effective than the guide. Using it preferentially will literally eat up months of your life. (A very conservative estimate is 5 minutes / night x 365 days a year x 30 years = 38 days.)


First of all, it isn't, really, but more to the point why in general would you know this? I'm not saying it is absurd you might know when a particular game might be broadcast, but knowing what channel requires some level of research and mental effort. 'Not much for one program, of course, but added up over a lifetime it becomes a rather large amount. More importantly, knowing this for one game is not much of a chore, but knowing it for all games in which you might be interested is a phenomenal task, requiring literally hours and hours of research using a guide. Why bother, when the TiVo can do it for you?
There are a couple of bits of information that you don't know (and indeed, why would you?). First of all, my preference is to use a SP, and generally I set them up via the Search by Title. Some things I set up as single recordings -- others I get via wishlists. But every now and again, I do set up recordings by means of the Guide. Usually it happens when I am watching live (local news or sports) and I see an ad for something which will air on the same channel (I use FF to get past ads, rather than skip, so I still see the ads). Sometimes I'll be watching a recording and I'll see an ad for a program, so I'll pause, jump out, and set up the SP. In those cases, I already know what channel the program is on, so the choice of whether I use the live guide or search by channel is largely a matter of how far out the broadcast is. If it's days out, I'll do record by channel. If it's hours out, I'll grab the show out of the Live Guide because that's quicker.

No, I don't sit and browse the Live Guide. That would be insane. I only do quick targeted searches which take a couple of seconds.

The great thing about TiVo is that we have all these different options and can do whatever suits us best.

As for search by expiration, it probably makes more sense for people like me who used to do a lot of taping with VCRs. Most people would think in terms of how much space was left on the tape in the recorder, but you also needed to know at what point you needed to put a new tape in the machine.

Search-by-expiration was a handy way to check the "watch or else" timestamp, with an easy way to see what would expire soonest. Most useful for folks like me; I often change the expiration period on individual recordings.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
There are a couple of bits of information that you don't know (and indeed, why would you?). First of all, my preference is to use a SP, and generally I set them up via the Search by Title.
OK. Very few of my recordings are via SP, since only a very few of them are series. As always, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Some things I set up as single recordings -- others I get via wishlists. But every now and again, I do set up recordings by means of the Guide.
Well, no one - certainly not I - is telling you you can't set up recordings however you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Usually it happens when I am watching live (local news or sports) and I see an ad for something which will air on the same channel (I use FF to get past ads, rather than skip, so I still see the ads).
Not having watched anything "live" in the last 12 years makes this unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Sometimes I'll be watching a recording and I'll see an ad for a program, so I'll pause, jump out, and set up the SP. In those cases, I already know what channel the program is on, so the choice of whether I use the live guide or search by channel is largely a matter of how far out the broadcast is. If it's days out, I'll do record by channel. If it's hours out, I'll grab the show out of the Live Guide because that's quicker.
Well, first of all, one can sometimes merely hit <Thumbs-Up>, although since I avoid programming with commercials and remove the commercials without watching them from most of the rest, this is also an uncommon situation for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
No, I don't sit and browse the Live Guide. That would be insane.
Yet it is what many people, including I suspect the OP, do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The great thing about TiVo is that we have all these different options and can do whatever suits us best.
Too true. Those of us who have benefited from others teaching us more effective means of using our TiVos have something of an obligation to spread the word about more effective means of obtaining recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
As for search by expiration, it probably makes more sense for people like me who used to do a lot of taping with VCRs. Most people would think in terms of how much space was left on the tape in the recorder, but you also needed to know at what point you needed to put a new tape in the machine.
'Been there, 'done that for many years prior to getting a TiVo and upgrading its hard drive. 'Dropped that bad habit like a hot potato some 12 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Search-by-expiration was a handy way to check the "watch or else" timestamp, with an easy way to see what would expire soonest. Most useful for folks like me; I often change the expiration period on individual recordings.
Hmm, well, that would tend to throw a monkey wrench into things. I really think you will be most pleased at how much a larger drive eliminates such considerations, and as I pointed out, it is a cheap warranty against the single most likely failure of your TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #29
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
If you are talking about the guide setting, there is an exceedingly simple solution: Don't use the guide. I haven't, not once, in twelve years.
So what? Again, you dictate your viewing habits are superior to ours. You are nothing more than a pompous, arrogant (and Im beginning to think) troll.

My wife and I get up Sunday morning. We get our tea, and decide to relax and take in a movie. I go to guide, set the movie filter, and see whats on. We pick a movie FROM THE GUIDE and set it to record. We let it buffer a bit so we can FF through the commercials, and have a nice relaxing morning.

So it stands...you are either very stupid, or a troll, and I will not feed either.

Anybody know if this forum has a kill list
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #30
Gasturbine
Registered User
 
Gasturbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
There are a couple of bits of information that you don't know...
Mur, don't waste your time. He is obviously a troll, and likes to hear himself talk. My issue was a simple one, but he had to barge in here with paragraphs and paragraphs on how stupid and ignorant I am. He is nothing more than a troll...a internet thug hiding behind a keyboard...most likely in his Mommy's basement I might ad.
__________________
DirecTV TiVo THR-22 HD DVR
Vizio 55" LED 240 Hz Television
Bose Lifestyle T20 Surround Sound
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray player w/DVD remote (networked)
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |