Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Once Upon a Time - S2E09 - "Queen of Hearts" - OAD 12/02/2012

Whaaaaaat???? Cora is the Queen of Hearts???? Who saw THAT coming!?!?!

Glad they tied up a few loose ends:

How Cora got out of Wonderland.
How the corner of FTL was untouched by the curse.
How Hook took Aurora's heart.
How people can readily tied up their defenseless friends and leave them behind to die.
How dwarves stand too close when other people are kissing.

A co-worker wondered "How did Gold know that the returnees would emerge at the well?" Beats me!

And where did Hook's ship come from? He had a beanstalk seed portal activator... how did all of that work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
A co-worker wondered "How did Gold know that the returnees would emerge at the well?" Beats me!
Gold explained that. Wishing wells are where what was once lost is found.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
And where did Hook's ship come from? He had a beanstalk seed portal activator... how did all of that work?
I'm less interested in where the ship came from. What I thought is: Since when is Storybrooke next to a lake or an ocean? I realize that being in Maine, it's very possible that it's near the Atlantic coast, but is this the first time in the series that we've seen the proximity of the town to a body of water?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
But that's a bunch of crap. Regina lost her Mom and Hook lost his hand, but they came up out in the ocean somewhere.

They never said that Storybrooke WASN'T near the water. The guy that Red supposedly killed... wasn't he found "down by the docks"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Well, it's also the well that Gold used to bring magic to StoryBrooke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm less interested in where the ship came from. What I thought is: Since when is Storybrooke next to a lake or an ocean? I realize that being in Maine, it's very possible that it's near the Atlantic coast, but is this the first time in the series that we've seen the proximity of the town to a body of water?
We've seen the ocean and some docks in a couple of previous episodes.

Of course, this is a show where they could create docks by magic.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
tivogurl

Quote:
But that's a bunch of crap. Regina lost her Mom and Hook lost his hand, but they came up out in the ocean somewhere.
Beanstalks are different transport mechanisms than magic compasses, so they might have different rules. Also, Cora may have used magic to determine where they showed up.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
True enough... they did explain how Hook got Aurora's heart, so maybe there's a good explanation.

So, where do we think Cora's heart is? Somewhere in the vault?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

They never said that Storybrooke WASN'T near the water. The guy that Red supposedly killed... wasn't he found "down by the docks"?
Henry's fort/castle in Season 1 was on the water. The one where he buried the box with the book in it for safe keeping.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
You don't remember the storm, when Henry lost the book when the playground was no longer safe to use and it was taken down. It was on a beach with the ocean in the background the whole time.

I thought it odd that no one thought to include Regina. She DID save their lives, and they all acknowledged it. They are really setting both her and Gold up to be sympathetic characters, rather then the "bad guys" like last year.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Henry's fort/castle in Season 1 was on the water. The one where he buried the box with the book in it for safe keeping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
You don't remember the storm, when Henry lost the book when the playground was no longer safe to use and it was taken down. It was on a beach with the ocean in the background the whole time.
Yes, now that you guys mention that, I do remember the playground being washed out by the water. I didn't get the sense that it was the ocean, though. Maybe a lake.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Gerryex

Quote:
I thought it odd that no one thought to include Regina. She DID save their lives, and they all acknowledged it. They are really setting both her and Gold up to be sympathetic characters, rather then the "bad guys" like last year.

I actually felt sorry for Regina when she was left all alone!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
TampaThunder

Quote:
In a previous episode, might've been last season, Hook got to Never Never Land by throwing something (can't remember what) into the sea which created a portal whirlpool and he, his crew, and ship sailed into it. I'm guessing he used the waters of the rejuvenated lake/pond to reactivate the petrified seed and then he and Cora traveled to his ship and threw the bean into the sea.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Me too. What a bunch of jerks.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Regina didn't do what she did to be a good person. She did it to be the person Henry wants her to be. There is a difference in my mind.

Plus, she is responsible for a lot of pain to those people. It will take a whole lot more to earn their trust and respect.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
Plus, she is responsible for a lot of pain to those people. It will take a whole lot more to earn their trust and respect.
Plus she is a first-degree multi-murderer (or serial killer, whatever you want to call her) who should be serving life in prison. Some people seem to have short memories.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Plus she is a first-degree multi-murderer (or serial killer, whatever you want to call her) who should be serving life in prison. Some people seem to have short memories.
Yeah, there is that. But I still think that they are now positioning her to be a sympathetic character, rather then the "bad guy" she was last year.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #17
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

The thing is- they had all been through a horrific ordeal together.
Typically, after something like this there is one night of celebration where old grievances are forgotten for a few hours while everyone decompresses and talks it out.
It would not have killed Henry to keep hold of Regina's hand and say "come on."
That's all it would have taken.
He seemed so convinced she has turned good that it felt odd that he would drop her hand and bolt with folks like that.

We all know she is evil and not to be trusted and that there is not going to be any nice, civil, blended family happily ever after.
But IMO the group bonhomie that was going on there seemed just a tad too abruptly aborted when Henry dropped her hand.
Feelings like that generally linger a bit longer after that magnitude of stress and tragedy.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
The thing is- they had all been through a horrific ordeal together.
Typically, after something like this there is one night of celebration where old grievances are forgotten for a few hours while everyone decompresses and talks it out.
It would not have killed Henry to keep hold of Regina's hand and say "come on."
That's all it would have taken.
He seemed so convinced she has turned good that it felt odd that he would drop her hand and bolt with folks like that.

We all know she is evil and not to be trusted and that there is not going to be any nice, civil, blended family happily ever after.
But IMO the group bonhomie that was going on there seemed just a tad too abruptly aborted when Henry dropped her hand.
Feelings like that generally linger a bit longer after that magnitude of stress and tragedy.
+1 everything you said.

(Bolding is mine.) I also felt really bad for Regina. Since they meant the scene to be an all-around good feeling of accomplishment, the viewer could've easily been given an "aw, that's so nice, Henry" moment.
dbranco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
tiams

Quote:

Why did Cora need the compass if she and Hook could just sail there on his ship? What was the point of all that compass stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
In a previous episode, might've been last season, Hook got to Never Never Land by throwing something (can't remember what) into the sea which created a portal whirlpool and he, his crew, and ship sailed into it. I'm guessing he used the waters of the rejuvenated lake/pond to reactivate the petrified seed and then he and Cora traveled to his ship and threw the bean into the sea.
I thought what he threw into the sea the first time was the magic bean Rumple tried to get from him.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Why did Cora need the compass if she and Hook could just sail there on his ship? What was the point of all that compass stuff?
She was under the assumption that there were no magic beans left. The only way left was to use the magic in the compass to open a portal.

It wasn't until Hook climbed the beanstalk that he found out that the giant had one (dead) bean left, and it wasn't until Cora refilled the magic lake that he realized that the bean could be revived.

Quote:
I thought what he threw into the sea the first time was the magic bean Rumple tried to get from him.
You are correct.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
She was under the assumption that there were no magic beans left. The only way left was to use the magic in the compass to open a portal.

It wasn't until Hook climbed the beanstalk that he found out that the giant had one (dead) bean left, and it wasn't until Cora refilled the magic lake that he realized that the bean could be revived.

You are correct.
OK, I guess I can buy that.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Church AV Guy

Pure speculation:

I think, THINK, that they are going to make Gold's son into Henry's father. That would make Henry, Gold's grandson, and Snow's and Charming's grandson as well. It could be some very interesting Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

Just a guess!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Pure speculation:

I think, THINK, that they are going to make Gold's son into Henry's father. That would make Henry, Gold's grandson, and Snow's and Charming's grandson as well. It could be some very interesting Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

Just a guess!
I agree. I think we posited that at the beginning of the season, but they haven't done anything to dispute that. Plus, it maximizes the "soap opera" factor, where the good guys are related to the bad guys, and characters have to weigh family/honor/love/ad nauseum against their own personal goals and desires. They don't even have to arrange a new marriage: it was done in the past! Do you think Gold knows about it?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Leaving Regina out was lazy writing. Inviting her was the natural thing to do, this was just to manufacture sympathy.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #25
weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Leaving Regina out was lazy writing. Inviting her was the natural thing to do, this was just to manufacture sympathy.
I think it's more likely to generate future evil.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Plus [Cora] should be serving life in prison.
I don't think it would be appropriate to punish people with real-world punishments for things that they did in FTL---where it probably wasn't even against the law. Charming, Snow, Red and others killed people in FTL as well---representatives of the government. Should they be imprisoned as well?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I don't think it would be appropriate to punish people with real-world punishments for things that they did in FTL---where it probably wasn't even against the law.
I think destroying the world trumps cultural relativity...
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
I don't think it would be appropriate to punish people with real-world punishments for things that they did in FTL---where it probably wasn't even against the law. Charming, Snow, Red and others killed people in FTL as well---representatives of the government. Should they be imprisoned as well?
I was talking about Regina. And she murdered in Storybrooke as well.

Also, I make a distinction between unprovoked murder and killing someone in a fight or self-defense.

Last edited by john4200 : 12-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
I was talking about Regina.
Oh, I know but you have to apply the same rules to everyone.

Quote:
And she murdered in Storybrook as well.
Really? Who? When?

Quote:
Also, I make a distinction between unprovoked murder and killing someone in a fight or self-defense.
Perhaps, but our law doesn't. Regina's guards were the equivalent of police. You can't just kill police and say that it's OK because they were fighting you.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Really? Who? When?
If we're talking about Regina, then yes, she killed the sheriff by destroying his stolen heart.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote