TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

pytivo: will a SSD in laptop speed it up

some videos i transfer from the laptop to the tivo take hours..no idea why..some take minutes only

anyway, just wondering is the hard drive on my laptop the bottleneck as to why the vid doesnt transcode faster? if so then i'm assuming an SSD would make a measureable improvement toward faster conversion?

i was thinking of putting an SSD in the CD bay using a converter and leaving in the orginal HD for standard storage needs. (i know SSD is dropping in price so i dont need the full 320 drive in my laptop 'replaced'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No. The bottleneck in transcoding is CPU usage.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
newsposter
Poster of News

well thats a bummer. i'm assuming any other program i use to convert to a tivo friendly format before transferring will also be held up by the CPU?

when im converting the entire machine locks up and stutters..admittedly i have a lot of stuff open but kinda stinks how much a hog it is.

i wouldnt mind the hassle of seperately converting then uploading if using another program would help but from what youre saying, the CPU would just be as locked up using any program?

!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
jcthorne

This is one of the reasons I use meGUI for processing all video to a Tivo ready mp4 format. It allows setting tread priority such that it only uses clock cycles not needed in the foreground if set to low priority.

Transfers (push) of properly configured mp4 files are fast and very low cpu usage. And yes, and SSD does help in some parts of the file conversion, but its still primarily CPU load.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
newsposter
Poster of News

understood..so basically any conversion program i may have on my machine needs to be investigated for CPU usage settings so i can stop locking up my machine. i'm sure i have a few programs downloaded but may have forgotten about them (love giveawayoftheday.com)..the temps of the cpu going over 100 doesnt thrill me either

on the rare occasion i did have mp4 to move over i did notice how quick it was. ill try to convert before tranferring in the future to avoid such overload.

!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm revisiting this issue

i used a free conversion program to go from avi to mp4, it appeard the mp4 had much lower PQ than the original document

is this because i didnt do some of the settings correctly?

or more aptly put, should mp4 be the same quality as any original?

i'm still in the market for a SSD but not for this issue but if i get one ill report back how much it affected it, if at all

!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
jcthorne

Correctly encoded, the mp4 should have almost no difference in picture quality. Remember, mp4 is a container, not a format. It could contain any number of audio and video formats, only a few of which are acceptable for tivo use.

In general, h.264 video level 4.1 or lower, ac3 audio at 640kbps or less for a Premiere.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
or more aptly put, should mp4 be the same quality as any original?
Any time you're reencoding video, the conversion is lossy. That means it will always look worse. But sure, you should be able to improve the conversion quality by tweaking the settings.

Quote:
i'm still in the market for a SSD but not for this issue but if i get one ill report back how much it affected it, if at all
It won't. It can't.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
newsposter
Poster of News

would going from a 32 bit win 7 machine to 64 bit win 8 machine make any difference?

!

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
would going from a 32 bit win 7 machine to 64 bit win 8 machine make any difference?
Yes, I'm sure a new, 64-bit machine would be faster. Win 7 vs. 8 shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 11-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
newsposter
Poster of News

ok thanks, a friend asked if pytivo would be faster on 64 bit and i had no clue

!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
ok thanks, a friend asked if pytivo would be faster on 64 bit and i had no clue
It's not about 32 bit vs 64 bit. It's all about the processor speed, and most likely (but not guaranteed) buying a brand new 64 bit machine vs an older 32 bit machine will mean a faster processor.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
newsposter
Poster of News

they had a good sale over the weekend so this will be here shortly...will report back but something tells me it should be a tad faster than my old machine

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming...specifications

Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz / 16GB DDR3 / 750GB HDD + 256GB SSD / Blu-ray Reader / GeForce GTX 660M / 802.11n / Bluetooth 4.0 / HD Webcam / Windows 8

!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
lrhorer

Well, pyTivo won't be any faster, unless it is having to recode the video. If the video is TiVo compatible, the transfer speed is limited by the TiVo itself. The best transfer speed is attained with an h.264/MP4 file with appropriate coding if one pushes the video. If one pulls the video, it must be MPEG-II.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
In general, h.264 video level 4.1 or lower, ac3 audio at 640kbps or less for a Premiere.
I believe 2 channel AAC also works. The audio needs to be 384 Kbps or less for S3 machines.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, pyTivo won't be any faster, unless it is having to recode the video. If the video is TiVo compatible, the transfer speed is limited by the TiVo itself. The best transfer speed is attained with an h.264/MP4 file with appropriate coding if one pushes the video. If one pulls the video, it must be MPEG-II.
99% of my transfers are not mp4 so i expect great things

!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
99% of my transfers are not mp4 so i expect great things
Are they MPEG-II (.mpg)? If not, then yes, you should see some improvement. I don't recall seeing the details of your old system, so I can't give you any estimates of the magnitude. Note for best performace, you may need to tune your ffmpeg command line. Also, the version of ffmpeg you use can make a large difference. The build I am using on my Linux server out-performs any Windows build I have tried, and they all vary considerably depending upon, among other things, the number of cores.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

i havent actually taken a count but i know lotta mkv recently and i do know some were mpg and avi in the past

old machine was duo core 2 and if memory is correct 2.2 or 2.4 machine with 3 gigs usable RAM

i7-3630QM is here

4 cores 8 threads and 6mb cache if that matters...well it better!

rest assured ill be back looking for tweaks with ffmpeg if i have to

!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
lrhorer

The new machine may just about double the maximum processing rate of the old machine. The I7 is not the best choice for handling video coding, but it can certainly out-perform the old one. Tweaking the ffmpeg parms and getting the best build for the job will also increase the performance, perhaps drastically.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
newsposter
Poster of News

what is the best for coding?

!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
lrhorer

Provided the utility used for coding properly supports multiple cores, the more real cores (not virtual cores like those implemented by Intel) the better. I'm not familiar with laptop CPUs, so I can't name specifics. For desktop PCs, the best CPUs are the AMD 6 and 8 core models. Performance of the Intel processors is significantly better for things like gaming, but an application that can fill up 8 or more processors with pure number crunching is better served by multiple real cores. I'm runninng 3.6 GHz AMD Six Core Phenom II processors.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
moyekj

Intel processors should be fine as well. At work where we have multi-threaded CPU intensive needs we just make sure that hyperthreading and any power-management features are turned off at BIOS level. i.e. You can disable virtual cores.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Intel processors should be fine as well.
Surely, but the most cores offered by the Intel I7 is six, and they are only 3.2Ghz - 3.5Ghz (3.8 - 4.0 Overclocked), starting at around $570 and going up to over $1000. AMD, OTOH, offers 8 core CPUs with clocks of 3.1GHz - 4.0GHz (3.7 - 4.2 Overclocked) ranging from $160 to $220. 'Not only much faster for recoding, but much less expensive. Note the six core I7 does outperform the AMD processors for some operations, but not recoding, provided multi-threading is properly employed by the coder and decoder. The 20% faster clock helps significantly, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
At work where we have multi-threaded CPU intensive needs we just make sure that hyperthreading and any power-management features are turned off at BIOS level. i.e. You can disable virtual cores.
Yes, and for recoding this is recommended. For other purposes, like gaming and video rendering without recoding, performance will be improved with the virtual cores enabled.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
newsposter
Poster of News

i just realized last time i installed pytivo it took me a week to get it right lol..ill be back on here tonight needing help i'm sure

!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
newsposter
Poster of News

HOLY ^&*(*&&*(

a file that used to take 1 to 2 hours took 9 MINUTES tonight! i love my new machine well worth it

!