TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
omelet1978

Tivo-to-Go on Windows 8

I did a serach and didn't really see anything on this. I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 and was just wondering if anyone had actually installed Tivo-to-Go on it?

I know it's not officially supported yet, just wondering if it worked anyway.

Thanks
omelet1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

It's only been two days since I put Windows 8 on my daughter's laptop, but I haven't had any issues with TD 2.8.3 as of yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
lrhorer

TTG does not get installed on a PC. TTG is a secure html server installed on the TiVo. To make use of TTG on a PC, one simply runs a secure html app, such as a web browser. Most people, however, prefer TTG specific applications such as kmttg or Galleon, or even pyTivo. Some people even use TiVoDeskTop, although I have never figured out why.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
TTG does not get installed on a PC. TTG is a secure html server installed on the TiVo. To make use of TTG on a PC, one simply runs a secure html app, such as a web browser. Most people, however, prefer TTG specific applications such as kmttg or Galleon, or even pyTivo. Some people even use TiVoDeskTop, although I have never figured out why.
So when I get .tivo files on my desktop, what single app allows me to play them without TiVoDeskTop? In Linux I use tivo_decode to convert .tivo to .mpg, but I'd like to be able to play .tivo files without having to convert them. I can play .tivo files on my pc with Windows Media Player, but how does that work? Somehow it must be using my MAK and decoding them on the fly. VLC won't correctly play .tivo files. If I uninstall TDT, will WMP still play .tivo files? It doesn't seem to know anything about my MAK. I'm unclear how this works on windows. Is WMP accessing some library installked with TDT?

Linux, I understand. Windows is obsure.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
So when I get .tivo files on my desktop, what single app allows me to play them without TiVoDeskTop? In Linux I use tivo_decode to convert .tivo to .mpg, but I'd like to be able to play .tivo files without having to convert them.
If you have the video codec from TDT installed, then players like WMP can play .TiVo files. This can be done by installing TDT and then partially uninstalling it. Alternately, you can employ a TTG app like kmttg, pyTivo, and I think perhaps Galleon to run a decoder like tivodecode on the fly while saving to disk. All three run fine under Linux, and passing the video through tivodecode while saving won't slow down the transfer.

Quote:
I can play .tivo files on my pc with Windows Media Player, but how does that work? Somehow it must be using my MAK and decoding them on the fly.
Well, sort of. WMC (or VLC, or whatever) always decodes the video. Otherwise it could not be viewed. When installed, TDT makes its codec available to other applications.

Quote:
VLC won't correctly play .tivo files.
Hmm. I thought it would. Perhaps not. It is certainly possible for it to be written to do so, although they may not have licensed the TiVo decoder from TiVo, Inc.

Quote:
If I uninstall TDT, will WMP still play .tivo files?
Not if you uninstall TDT entirely, no. One can partially uninstall it, leaving the codec and its configuration behind.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to know anything about my MAK.
No, that is below the level of the application. The decoder uses the MAK internally to unencrypt and then decode the file.

Quote:
I'm unclear how this works on windows. Is WMP accessing some library installked with TDT?
Yes, specifically the codec.

Quote:
Linux, I understand. Windows is obsure.
I think you mean "obscure". Yeah, you bet.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-10-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

Drifting a bit off-topic, aren't we? The OP was only asking about using TiVo Desktop on Windows 8 specifically.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
justen_m

Quote:
Hmm. I thought it would. Perhaps not. It is certainly possible for it to be written to do so, although they may not have licensed the TiVo decoder from TiVo, Inc.
Thanks for all the info! Everything you said makes sense. Perhaps VLC doesn't work because I'm using an ancient version... 2.0.2... that doesn't know how to access the tivo codecs?

[edit] I just downloaded the latest 2.0.4 and it doesn't work either, on the same machine where I have TDT and WMP installed and .tivo files play fine. Based on the playback, it looks like a decryption issue.

[edit] audio plays fine, but video is a total jumble using vlc

Last edited by justen_m : 11-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
ggieseke

VLC doesn't use DirectShow codecs - it does everything internally. AFAIK it has never had the ability to decrypt .TiVo files.

When you install Desktop it installs the TiVo DirectShow Source Filter, which decrypts the file and passes it on to the demuxer & codecs so that programs like WMP or VideoReDo can play the file.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

We've had a few reports from people who upgraded to Win8 who had problems with TiVo files after the upgrade. They had to uninstall and reinstall TiVo Desktop to get them working again. I'm guessing that TiVo uses something specific to the OS in the way they encrypt the data in the registry and doing an upgrade somehow breaks that.

If you do a clean install it should work fine.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
ggieseke

Desktop uses Microsoft's standard cryptology API (CryptProtectData) to store the MAK in the registry. Reading it uses CryptUnprotectData, and can only be done by that unique user on that unique PC.

I'd guess that upgrading blows up one or both of those unique IDs.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
fairsider

Tivo Desktop on Windows 8

I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro (Media Centre), and find that Tivo desktop 2.8.3 is longer to start, the Tivo Server won't load automatically at login (despite being enabled in Services), and that although I can select and transfer shows from the Tivo box, the application hangs and has to be shut down via Task Manager.

I checked with Tivo, and they are coming out with an update for Windows 8, but no estimate as to how long that will take...
fairsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairsider View Post
I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro (Media Centre), and find that Tivo desktop 2.8.3 is longer to start, the Tivo Server won't load automatically at login (despite being enabled in Services), and that although I can select and transfer shows from the Tivo box, the application hangs and has to be shut down via Task Manager.

I checked with Tivo, and they are coming out with an update for Windows 8, but no estimate as to how long that will take...
Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing TiVo Desktop?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Some people even use TiVoDeskTop, although I have never figured out why.
Because I haven't gotten around to installing anything else yet. Do you really want me pestering you with questions? If so, just wait a bit and I can make that happen.

(Sorry for the hijack -- carry on.)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Because I haven't gotten around to installing anything else yet. Do you really want me pestering you with questions? If so, just wait a bit and I can make that happen.

(Sorry for the hijack -- carry on.)

Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
fairsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing TiVo Desktop?
Yup. I tried that - and used the install cleaner from Tivo as well. Same result with the fresh install. Tivo themselves are saying that there are incompatibilities, so I'm not losing much sleep over it. At least in the mean time I can still copy over shows to the computer - even though I have to shut down TD via Task Manager afterwards...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
lrhorer

Quote:
Because I haven't gotten around to installing anything else yet.
My recommendation is to do so.

Quote:
Do you really want me pestering you with questions? If so, just wait a bit and I can make that happen.
Surely. That is the main reason for the existence of this website, and by a wide margin main the reason I visit it.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
fairsider

Smile

Quote:
Yup. I tried that - and used the install cleaner from Tivo as well. Same result with the fresh install. Tivo themselves are saying that there are incompatibilities, so I'm not losing much sleep over it. At least in the mean time I can still copy over shows to the computer - even though I have to shut down TD via Task Manager afterwards...
An update on this for the sake of others on this forum. I've discovered that the problem is actually being caused by a Samsumg software utility (SWAgent) that nukes the Tivo Server service from the startup list. It is overly aggressive in preventing programs from loading automatically - even legitimate ones, and I hadn't notice that it had done so. I repaired the Tivo application and have prevented the utility from monkeying around with the startup files, and now all seems fine. No other incompatibilities noticed. Hope this is helpful to others...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
An update on this for the sake of others on this forum. I've discovered that the problem is actually being caused by a Samsumg software utility (SWAgent) that nukes the Tivo Server service from the startup list. It is overly aggressive in preventing programs from loading automatically - even legitimate ones, and I hadn't notice that it had done so. I repaired the Tivo application and have prevented the utility from monkeying around with the startup files, and now all seems fine. No other incompatibilities noticed. Hope this is helpful to others...
is it there because it's a Samsung computer, or for some other reason?

What is it actually supposed to do for you?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

When I ran the upgrade advisor one of this issues found was that it said Win8 was not compatible with Bonjour, which TDT uses. Anyone confirm this?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

If that's the case there is a way to switch TiVo Desktop back to using the old TiVo Beacon protocol instead.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
fairsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
is it there because it's a Samsung computer, or for some other reason?

What is it actually supposed to do for you?
It's because it's a Samsung computer. The same software package that checks for bios, driver, and system software updates also kindly offers to nuke startup programs in an effort to speed up boot times. I should probably have uninstalled it, but I am too lazy to keep checking Samsumg's web site for updates.

In any event, once circumvented, there appear to be no issues with Windows 8 and the current version of Tivo Desktop.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
qtheking

I just tested it out too and have no issues at all
qtheking is offline   Reply With Quote