TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Squeak
An Inert Gas
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 9,905
Amazing Race 11/18/12

Really unfortunate about the Rockers. I wonder what happens to them now to get back.

Anyone else notice how sunburned the woman next to Phil got between the first team and when Abby and Ryan checked in? Her cleavage was bright red by the end of the day.
__________________
Do you really care what kind of TV or TiVo I have? Didn't think so...
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Really unfortunate about the Rockers. I wonder what happens to them now to get back.
Team #3 to get screwed over by a cab driver this season. It is seriously hindering my enjoyment of the show. Yes, I realize that they should have always held on to the passport it does not change the fact that a cab driver, who they asked to stick around, left with all their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Anyone else notice how sunburned the woman next to Phil got between the first team and when Abby and Ryan checked in? Her cleavage was bright red by the end of the day.
I definitely did notice.

My favorite part though was cocky ass Ryan getting humbled by the time zone quiz.

Oh, and there was no point in last week being continued.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident
 
DavidTigerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 9,721
So now it's pretty evident that the producers effed with this leg. First, they didn't give any start times. Second, the leg was 2 challenges. You had to do the time zone thing and then dance. If the farmers hadn't been so far behind they'd have one it outright. The whole leg could have been maybe 2-3 hours if you knew what you were doing.
__________________
The invasion is complete. :D

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
it's pretty evident that the producers effed with this leg.
I do agree there was some tinkering.
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
verdugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
My favorite part though was cocky ass Ryan getting humbled by the time zone quiz.
I was pleasantly surprised that they honored their agreements with the goat farmers at the pool.

Then it was right back at being a cocky ass during the time zone quiz. That was my favorite part of the episode.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 7,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
=


My favorite part though was cocky ass Ryan getting humbled by the time zone quiz.
.
Glitch in the Matrix

File is Corrupt. lolz.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
GoHalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 4,351
Why was the goat farmers' penalty not assessed before they could check in at the end of the leg? Isn't that the way that it's worked in the past?

Was it just because it was a non-elimination leg so it didn't matter?

Last edited by GoHalos : 11-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
Why was the goat farmers' penalty not assessed before they could check in at the end of the leg? Isn't that the way that it's worked in the past?

Was it just because it was a non-elimination leg so it didn't matter?
I wondered that as well. I also thought it was odd that if they were going to let the Rockers continue, why didn't Phil let them check in the first time they came to the mat? Nothing had changed between the first time they came and the second, except that the Goat Farmers should have been sitting there serving out their penalty.

With no starting times given, I can pretty much guarantee that they didn't have to wait a full four hours after Ryan and Abbie left, and the producers inserted that hours of operation thing (Beyonce at 8:00) in order to bunch the teams back up.

Definitely noticed how sunburned that lady got. Didn't they let her go sit in the shade during all the times when a team wasn't close? I don't understand why she would have to be exposed long enough to look like that.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
GoHalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wondered that as well. I also thought it was odd that if they were going to let the Rockers continue...
Agreed. As it was happening, I was thinking that they wouldn't be able to check in without their passports. Even though it was a non-elimination leg, Phil still let them check in, right? Looking at the rules (at least on wikipedia, which of course isn't the official rules):

Link (bolding mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia Link
Teams are expected to keep the Race fanny pack containing their cash, passports, clues, and other documents with them at all times. Teams that do not have these upon check-in at a Pit Stop are required to go back and retrieve the pack and any missing mandatory contents (e.g., passports) before being checked in. Teams may check in after losing or abandoning any non-mandatory items (e.g., items of clothing), but they must continue the race without them.

GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,219
I'm guessing the producers knew this was the last planned non-elim leg and it would have screwed things up if they kicked the Rockers out. Knowing that the next leg wouldn't require a passport, they decided to keep them in and see what happened in the next leg.

Given that the Rockers were last to leave the pit stop and didn't seem to care at all about the race, but instead went straight to look for the passport, that tells me they knew the race didn't matter anymore and they just wanted to get the proper paperwork so they wouldn't be stuck in Russia.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
getbak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Oh, and there was no point in last week being continued.
This week would have been even more anticlimactic than it was. Because the teams were spaced so far apart with no bunching (except for the opening time at the school), there was no tension in this week's episode.

By tacking 10 minutes from last week onto the beginning of this week, they got a little bit of tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
Why was the goat farmers' penalty not assessed before they could check in at the end of the leg? Isn't that the way that it's worked in the past?

Was it just because it was a non-elimination leg so it didn't matter?
According to Wikipedia, this race was shot from May 26 to June 16, so this week's leg would have been shot in early June. Moscow is at 55° 45' North latitude, and in early June sunset is after 10pm and Civil Twilight (when it's still bright enough to walk around outside without artificial light) ends after 11pm. It appeared to be completely dark out when the teams checked in, so it was certainly after 10 and probably after 11 when they finally checked in.

Making them sit and wait 4 hours in the middle of the night would have been cruel to the crew, let alone the team. As long as they left the next day four hours behind Abbie & Ryan, it doesn't really matter when they serve the penalty.

Usually, when teams get a penalty, there are either other teams behind them, so serving the penalty immediately does make a difference, or they're in last place and eliminated so the penalty doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wondered that as well. I also thought it was odd that if they were going to let the Rockers continue, why didn't Phil let them check in the first time they came to the mat? Nothing had changed between the first time they came and the second, except that the Goat Farmers should have been sitting there serving out their penalty.
In the past, they've established that you haven't officially completed the leg unless you have all the required documentation. When Zev & Justin were eliminated the first time, they actually won the leg before discovering that one of their passports was missing. They didn't receive the prize for winning the leg, and they were eliminated when the final team checked in.


If nothing else, this week's episode should answer once-and-for-all the question of whether or not the non-elimination legs are planned in advance, or if the producers decide to save teams that they like. If they had any other option, I can't imagine they would have chosen last week as a non-elimination leg.

I'm curious as to what the Speed Bump was. It looked like they were riding in a limo with a priest.
__________________
When you do this without getting punched, you'll have more fun.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 24,317
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
My favorite part though was cocky ass Ryan getting humbled by the time zone quiz.
"I'm not missing anything!"

Well, obviously you are. Otherwise he wouldn't keep saying you're wrong.
__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
This episode was all kinds of wrong. I hate when they have different rules for certain teams.
Not showing the start times confirmed for me that the teams were not released with the right amount of time between them.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
"I'm not missing anything!"

Well, obviously you are. Otherwise he wouldn't keep saying you're wrong.
I loved that his girlfriend who had been saying how much smarter he was then her figured out that he wasn't taking the difference from GMT into account WAY before he did.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,066
I was surprised at the number of teams who opted for the dance instead of the costume party challenge. Seems like they took the much harder choice. Also, the twins used their Express Pass for no good reason that I could see. That would have been better saved to either ensure a 1st place finish or stave off possible elimination.

Why is there no communication between the teams during the off-hours? Has it always been like that?
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
... the twins used their Express Pass for no good reason that I could see. That would have been better saved to either ensure a 1st place finish or stave off possible elimination...
I thought they decided against using the express pass...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I was surprised at the number of teams who opted for the dance instead of the costume party challenge. Seems like they took the much harder choice. Also, the twins used their Express Pass for no good reason that I could see. That would have been better saved to either ensure a 1st place finish or stave off possible elimination.

Why is there no communication between the teams during the off-hours? Has it always been like that?
I think this was the last leg they could use it on.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I thought they decided against using the express pass...
They used it to skip the time zone task.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
They used it to skip the time zone task.
Ah...since I tune out most of what they say (because it's always so annoying), I must have missed that...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I thought they decided against using the express pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I think this was the last leg they could use it on.
Right, they said both last week and this week that this was the last week they were allowed to use it. They said when they were leaving this week that the first task they came across that seemed like it would take time, they were using it, because there's nothing left to save it for.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave
 
lalouque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Have that many people never heard of UTC (as related to time zones) before???
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Have that many people never heard of UTC (as related to time zones) before???
That's what I was wondering....I couldn't believe the number of teams that had a problem with that task.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,476
I understand timezones just fine, but I might have been tricked by it at first. You are rushing, you see +6, +7, you're trying to remember what cities you saw and what section of the map they were in...

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have taken me 25 tests to figure that out, though.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,867
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
Agreed. As it was happening, I was thinking that they wouldn't be able to check in without their passports. Even though it was a non-elimination leg, Phil still let them check in, right? Looking at the rules (at least on wikipedia, which of course isn't the official rules):

Link (bolding mine)
Yeah, that seemed a little odd to me, too. The rockers arrive at the mat the first time, tell Phil they don't have their passports, and he tells them he can't check them into the mat without them per the rules of the game.

They go back out to look for them, don't find them, return to the mat, and Phil checks them in anyway. It didn't make a bit of sense.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Yeah, that seemed a little odd to me, too. The rockers arrive at the mat the first time, tell Phil they don't have their passports, and he tells them he can't check them into the mat without them per the rules of the game.

They go back out to look for them, don't find them, return to the mat, and Phil checks them in anyway. It didn't make a bit of sense.
I guess it was just because it was non-elimination and they were staying in Moscow for the next leg, so they wouldn't need their passports during the day.

The Wikipedia has already been updated to say:
Quote:
Teams are expected to keep the Race fanny pack containing their cash, passports, clues, and other documents with them at all times. Teams that do not have these upon check-in at a Pit Stop are required to go back and retrieve the pack and any missing mandatory contents (e.g., passports) before being checked in. In one case, where the leg was a non-elimination leg, the team was allowed to continue but would be eliminated if they still lacked their passport by the time they were required to produce one. Teams may check in after losing or abandoning any non-mandatory items (e.g., items of clothing), but they must continue the race without them.
So, I'm guessing we don't know exactly what the official rules say about passports and check in... it seems like the rules on there are just what people have gleaned over the seasons.

Regarding the part about the fanny pack... I noticed a lack of fanny pack usage this season. Is it just me? Every time the rockers lose their money or their passports or have a clue falling out of their pockets, I am like, why is that stuff not in their fanny pack... and I've kinda been looking for the other teams and haven't noticed the fanny packs there either.

If I was on the race, that fanny pack would NEVER leave me, and I would always be checking to make sure I had my clue and passport before I ever leave somewhere.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In the past, they've established that you haven't officially completed the leg unless you have all the required documentation. When Zev & Justin were eliminated the first time, they actually won the leg before discovering that one of their passports was missing. They didn't receive the prize for winning the leg, and they were eliminated when the final team checked in.
Which is why it's odd that they changed the rules mid-episode. Either it's ok to check in without your passport provided it's not needed on the next leg, in which case the Rockers should have been allowed to check in in the afternoon, or it's not ok to check in without your passport and they should have been eliminated. Making them look for their passport but then allowing them to check in when they were last made no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post

Why is there no communication between the teams during the off-hours? Has it always been like that?
It hasn't always been like that. In early seasons, we actually saw the teams interacting during the pit stop a few times. But over the last several seasons, it's been clear that they don't interact anymore, because teams often don't know who was eliminated or whether it was non-elim until the next leg. I have no idea why they made that change. I liked it better the other way.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Have that many people never heard of UTC (as related to time zones) before???
Yep, completely familiar with it.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It hasn't always been like that. In early seasons, we actually saw the teams interacting during the pit stop a few times. But over the last several seasons, it's been clear that they don't interact anymore, because teams often don't know who was eliminated or whether it was non-elim until the next leg. I have no idea why they made that change. I liked it better the other way.
I liked it better the other way, too. It was also clear that the people were on their own for food and lodging as well... we saw people team up to get hotel rooms sometimes, or sleep out on the streets. I guess the show decided maybe that was too dangerous, because now they have all their lodging taken care of and they sleep in regular hotels.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

I liked it better the other way, too. It was also clear that the people were on their own for food and lodging as well... we saw people team up to get hotel rooms sometimes, or sleep out on the streets. I guess the show decided maybe that was too dangerous, because now they have all their lodging taken care of and they sleep in regular hotels.
You're mixing up two different things. They were never on their own for lodging during the pit stop. But there were a few times when teams arrived at a location in the middle of the night, had several hours to kill before something opened, and some chose to get a hotel while others chose to sleep on the street.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 7,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Have that many people never heard of UTC (as related to time zones) before???
Alot of people, especially if you've never done any overseas traveling. Probably more people are familiar with GMT than UTC tho I doubt that would have helped in this task as the basic concept of + zone time was misunderstood.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |