TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
pspens

Tivo doesn't remember where I left off

When viewing a program, then interrupting it and doing something else, previous Tivo's always remembered where you left off when to went to view something else. Now when I come back, sometimes it remembers, but often it doesn't, forcing me to start watching the recorded program at the beginning. Needless to say, this is very annoying. I have a Premier 4 and this has been happening to me since I started using it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by pspens : 03-23-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
When viewing a program, then interrupting it and doing something else, previous Tivo's always remembered where you left off when to went to view something else. Now when I come back, sometimes it remembers, but often it doesn't, forcing me to start watching the recorded program at the beginning. Needless to say, this is very annoying. I have a Premier 4 and this has been happening to me since I started using it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That doesn't sound normal. The only time I've noticed my Premieres not remembering my location is when I'm near the end of the recording.
Otherwise I can go to live TV, go to another room and either the Minis, Elite or two tuner premiere will start at the same spot. Or the original box I was watching on will start at the same spot if I come back to it later.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That doesn't sound normal. The only time I've noticed my Premieres not remembering my location is when I'm near the end of the recording.
It's not normal. That's why I posted it. I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this. I've gotten into the habit of hitting "pause" before doing something else, but that even fails often. I saw someone else post about this same problem on the other forum, but for some reason I can't log in there, even though I became a member there years ago. No one came up with anything there yet either. From the description of the problem on the other forum, it sounded as if this was a known problem with earlier software releases.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
pvpost

After years of using a Series 2 and a couple of Tivo HD machines, I recently added an XL4 and have noticed the same thing. It drives me crazy. I'm used to being able to hit the left arrow and going back to the Now Playing list and having it remember where I was in my show.

My assumption was that hitting the left arrow on the new machines, while going back to the list, keeps the show playing in the corner window, so it's not really stoping the program.

I've gotten into the habit of hitting Live TV every time I was to switch shows, which is kind of a pain.

I'm hoping there's a better way.

Tim
pvpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpost View Post
After years of using a Series 2 and a couple of Tivo HD machines, I recently added an XL4 and have noticed the same thing. It drives me crazy. I'm used to being able to hit the left arrow and going back to the Now Playing list and having it remember where I was in my show.

My assumption was that hitting the left arrow on the new machines, while going back to the list, keeps the show playing in the corner window, so it's not really stoping the program.

I've gotten into the habit of hitting Live TV every time I was to switch shows, which is kind of a pain.

I'm hoping there's a better way.

Tim
Exactly. I wonder if the behavior is better when using SD menus? Then you wouldn't have the program showing up in the "video" box. Does "Live TV" pause the currently playing program? Seems to me "Live tV" used to go to the end of the currently recording program if you were watching "behind".

And while we're at it, the FF1 is still broken as it was years ago. It works sometimes.

Last edited by pspens : 03-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Exactly. I wonder if the behavior is better when using SD menus? Then you wouldn't have the program showing up in the "video" box.
You also wouldn't have it showing up in the video window if you turned off the video window
I have never experienced this issue, but I keep the video window turned off.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
bd177

This is happening to me also. I have the 2 tuner Premiere. It started a couple of updates ago.
bd177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
You also wouldn't have it showing up in the video window if you turned off the video window
I have never experienced this issue, but I keep the video window turned off.
I keep the video window on, but I don't have the issue either. If I'm watching a recorded show I don't let it continue to play in the window.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
sieglinde

I was told to go to My Shows when wanting to keep my place in a partially watched show but this works only most of the time not all of the time.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
pspens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I was told to go to My Shows when wanting to keep my place in a partially watched show but this works only most of the time not all of the time.
Not displaying the video window seems to work so far...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
TexasDVR

LiveTV button will stop the recording at its current position to resume later.

If someone knows of something better let me know.

The remote needs a "real" stop button programmed into the box - not the current left arrow partial solution.
TexasDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
celtic pride

I 've been having problems for a few weeks now,when i saw a commercial for a new show (red widow) while watching a recoded program i pulled up the guide set my recording ,then when i back to the program it took me back to beginning of the show instead of the paused point,also when i went back to pull up guide, it was still several days ahead in the guide where i went to set the recording for red widow instead of bringing the guide up for the current time and channel i have the tivo on.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
pspens

Quote:
Not displaying the video window seems to work so far...
Oops. I encountered an instance that when I came back to watcing a program, it was at the end, asking if I wanted to delete it!! I don't know how that happened.

Things seem to be a bit squirrely. I suspect the TIVO code is by now a mass of spaghetti... just guessing. If it were modular, these things would be (relatively) easy to isolate and fix.