Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
swizzlest
Furry Cat Feet!

How I Met Your Mother 8x08 - OAD 11/26/12 - 12 Horny Women

2 Words - Mister. Belding.

Best episode in the last 3 or 4, really. But that's not saying a whole lot.

I wondered why Marshall was telling a story to all the people who called off work to be in court with him. Day drinking? Probably separate days of the trial.

So Marshall becomes a judge (likely) - hey, look, character development. Novel.

Lily the only badass of the group, but who cares?

Robin and Barney -- get there already. Seriously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-DaveBogart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- IndyJones1023
te amo, xbox. Gamertag = swizzlest
swizzlest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Wow, I thought this was a sea of crap after a solid run. It was in the top three worst episodes they've ever done, IMO.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
busyba
The Funcooker

I found the courtroom scenes to be somewhat unrealistic...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

No episode can be truly hated if it has a reference to The Wire in it!
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Dobey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Wow, I thought this was a sea of crap after a solid run. It was in the top three worst episodes they've ever done, IMO.
100% agree. By far worst episode this season.
Dobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I found the courtroom scenes to be somewhat unrealistic...
LOL.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Boring. Stupid.

I'm starting to get mad.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
No episode can be truly hated if it has a reference to The Wire in it!
<whistling "Farmer in the Dell>

"Lily comin'! Lily comin'!"

I thought that was great. The rest of it was kind of crap. As Alan Sepinwall pointed out in his review: What was the point of Brad stealing all the strategy from Marshall's firm if his whole strategy was to simply pull a "Magic Mike" on the all-female jury?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

I thought that was great. The rest of it was kind of crap. As Alan Sepinwall pointed out in his review: What was the point of Brad stealing all the strategy from Marshall's firm if his whole strategy was to simply pull a "Magic Mike" on the all-female jury?
Yep yep yep.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
mattack

I thought it was 'ok'.. But at first I thought it was actually a legal tribunal to punish the other lawyer.. which would have been funny with the comments in the thread for the previous episode from someone about how bad that guy would be busted.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

Well, he did make that video as a kind of counter-point.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
plateau10

Quote:
Well, he did make that video as a kind of counter-point.
Yes, he could never have figured out that Marshall's firm intended to prove that the lake was poisoned without stealing their strategy
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
at first I thought it was actually a legal tribunal to punish the other lawyer
That wasn't an accident.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That wasn't an accident.
I thought the swerve was that we were supposed to think it was a hearing to punish Marshall, not his friend the werewolf.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
pmyers

Robin/Barney....really? here we go again?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
Yes, he could never have figured out that Marshall's firm intended to prove that the lake was poisoned without stealing their strategy
Or perhaps he could never have figured out that the only way to attempt to win was through that video because their case was so airtight? Anyway the whole notion was kind of weird since most of their witnesses and evidence would already be available by law to them without the sneaky tactics.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

If it wasn't for finding out who the mother is, I think I'd stop watching. I can't recall one really funny episode all season, especially the last 4 or 5. This again was another episode where they have ran out of ideas, and someone sits at the writer's table and said, lets create an arc of Marshall becoming a judge....so they did it.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
If it wasn't for finding out who the mother is, I think I'd stop watching.
I don't even care who the mother is anymore. It's either someone we've already seen or it's someone we haven't seen (not counting seeing her foot or her back or the other glimpses we've been given). If the story is to have any integrity at all we have to rule out the first possibility (that it's someone we have seen). That rules out Robin, Victoria, and every other woman who has interacted with Ted. So we're left with the mother being someone we have little to no current knowledge about. Ted will meet her and maybe they'll both realize how many times they came close to meeting before, but she will be a new character on the show. So why does it matter who she is? She is just a woman Ted meets. If you're normal you hate Ted so why would you care whom he ends up with?

I didn't watch the last two episodes. I probably won't watch the rest. I just don't care who she is anymore. They ruined the show the same way Lost was ruined - by being greedy and stretching it out instead of just telling the story they started out telling.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
I don't even care who the mother is anymore. It's either someone we've already seen or it's someone we haven't seen (not counting seeing her foot or her back or the other glimpses we've been given). If the story is to have any integrity at all we have to rule out the first possibility (that it's someone we have seen). That rules out Robin, Victoria, and every other woman who has interacted with Ted. So we're left with the mother being someone we have little to no current knowledge about. Ted will meet her and maybe they'll both realize how many times they came close to meeting before, but she will be a new character on the show. So why does it matter who she is? She is just a woman Ted meets. If you're normal you hate Ted so why would you care whom he ends up with?

I didn't watch the last two episodes. I probably won't watch the rest. I just don't care who she is anymore. They ruined the show the same way Lost was ruined - by being greedy and stretching it out instead of just telling the story they started out telling.
Neither is/was ruined to the point that I just don't care about the ending anymore. Lost, despite me hating where the last season went, held my interest plenty through the earlier seasons and knowing that it was the last season, I was gonna stick with it. As for HIMYM, it's the same thing. I want to see how it ends, i.e. who the mother is. I invested this much time into the story to give up on it. To me it's like reading a book that was great for the first half of the book with some mystery in the book that I'm interested in finding out what it is, then the second half of the book drags, but I'm still interested in the mystery (unfortunately this is not a book where I could just skip to the end, so I'm stuck with watching to find out more about the mystery)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I thought the swerve was that we were supposed to think it was a hearing to punish Marshall, not his friend the werewolf.
Exactly. It was set up for us to think Marshall did something that landed him in front of a disciplinary committee, but then it shifted at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Robin/Barney....really? here we go again?
We've known that was coming since the season premiere. We know that Robin and Barney get engaged and are scheduled to get married at some point down the road. We know the wedding will take place in "Farhampton," at the same place where Victoria was supposed to get married to Klaus. We know that Ted meets the mother at (or as a result of) the wedding. So it makes sense that Robin and Barney would be getting back together so we can eventually get to that wedding.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

For the lawyers in the thread: is there any chance, any at all, that they'd make someone with as little legal experience as Marshall a judge?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
For the lawyers in the thread: is there any chance, any at all, that they'd make someone with as little legal experience as Marshall a judge?
Wasn't the judge thing happening in 2014?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Depends on the jurisdiction. Some make judges run for office. Some rely on nominations from a committee. Some require people to submit applications for open seats and then the applicants are evaluated by a committe or sitting judges.

Bottom line: It's absolutely possible that someone with 5-10 years of legal experience could be named to be a judge. But it would be much more likely in a rural area. In a jurisdiction like NYC, it would be almost unheard of.
Quote:
Wasn't the judge thing happening in 2014?
It just said "A little ways down the road." But they didn't do anything to make him look older, so it can't be too far down the road."
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
tiams

Quote:
If it wasn't for finding out who the mother is, I think I'd stop watching. I can't recall one really funny episode all season, especially the last 4 or 5. This again was another episode where they have ran out of ideas, and someone sits at the writer's table and said, lets create an arc of Marshall becoming a judge....so they did it.
I'm pretty sure the mother is Barney's half sister Carly Whittaker. Carly is away at college, so that is probably how she ended up in the econ class Ted accidentally taught. And of course she would attend Barney's wedding. And if Ted married the sister of Barney then Barney and Robin would actually be the kid's aunt and uncle.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I'm pretty sure the mother is Barney's half sister Carly Whittaker. Carly is away at college, so that is probably how she ended up in the econ class Ted accidentally taught. And of course she would attend Barney's wedding. And if Ted married the sister of Barney then Barney and Robin would actually be the kid's aunt and uncle.
It's been a few seasons, but that theory has been thrown around before.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I just a few days ago realized that Scooter is played by David Burtka, Neil Patrick Harris's partner. That's kind of awesome.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but at least for SOME judges (e.g. Supreme Court), you don't need any legal experience at all.. (and that's not a joking slam at some of them, it's a fact.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Sparty99

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel. Every new episode I get excited about, every episode I find myself texting a friend saying, "They need to kill this show." I'm glad that a few of the stars have come out and said, "Yeah, our contracts are up this year so I'm pretty sure this is it," even if CBS isn't willing to commit to this being the final season.

(And BTW, I'm getting a little tired of agreeing with you. It's not natural. We're going to have to have a drag out argument before the season starts. )

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but at least for SOME judges (e.g. Supreme Court), you don't need any legal experience at all.. (and that's not a joking slam at some of them, it's a fact.)
Earl Warren. Was never a judge until he became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, which Dwight Eisenhower promised him if he ever became president.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Earl Warren. Was never a judge until he became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, which Dwight Eisenhower promised him if he ever became president.
"Never been a judge" is not the same as having "no legal experience."