TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

Food Network is terrible now

Just like the demise of MTV and recently ESPN, Food Network is virtually unwatchable.

All they ever show is reality cooking shows, Cupcake wars, restaurant impossible and Chopped.

There is never any actual cooking anymore. I miss the days of Molto Mario, Rachel Ray and Emeril Lagasse actually in a kitchen cooking. Their alternate channel is not in HD so to me I can't look at it.

Thank God for PBS and their cooking shows!

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Mikeyis4dcats

the give the viewers what the want.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
pmyers

I love RI and Chopped!

Also Triple D and Guy's kitchen
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

A large percentage (possibly: majority) of the channel still features cooking shows. That is, if you consider Paula Deen and Sandra Lee to be cooks. Even if not there's still Giada and others. It's true that the prime time slots are filled with shows like the ones you named, but even then there are some cooking shows in prime time.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
WhiskeyTango

They still have cooking shows on all morning and afternoon during the week and all morning on the weekends.

I stopped watching RI when they started forcing viewers to go to the website to get the updates on how the restaurant was doing.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

There's also Cooking Channel, which still features almost exclusively cooking shows, some of which originated on Food Network, others that just feature Food Network stars.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
...I stopped watching RI when they started forcing viewers to go to the website to get the updates on how the restaurant was doing.
I agree that I hate that!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We actually like FN more now than when it first started. Early on when it was nothing but cooks mixing up food for 30 minutes all day long, it got REALLY boring. There's only so many times you can watch them make a casserole or cook a steak etc.

I think they now just put those kind of shows on Saturday mornings and that's about it.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

It's all my fault. I cut the cord and stopped watching.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
bengalfreak

The Food Network now is more about personalitites than cooking. I guess it's what get them the ratings that they want, but I find myself rarely tuned in anymore. When I was a fan, the Food Network was about cooking.

I watch the cooking channel quite a bit. Its what the Food Network used to be. I find it simply ridiculous that someone will completely ignore an entire channel simply because its not in HD. Even though I much prefer the visuals of HD, to me television is all about the content. And to tell you the truth, my television is so good at displaying SD programming, I hardly notice.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

I used to love Emeril's shows, both the half hour kitchen shows and the hour long live audience shows. Alton Brown's shows were very interesting to. Somewhere along the way I just stopped watching.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

I'm addicted to Americas test kitchen and a few food network shows. Chris Kimball the host of ATK looks like the ultimate stuffed shirt as first but he grows on you inspite of his geekie personna. Now they even have eye candy, a new brunette.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
markymark_ctown

really? i love guy fierri and hear he has an awesome new place in NYC. can't wait to check it out...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
really? i love guy fierri and hear he has an awesome new place in NYC. can't wait to check it out...
Yeah.

Wait, what???????

Last edited by TonyTheTiger : 11-21-2012 at 08:29 AM.
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Zoom or Mooz? I get confused.

Emeril was a big personality but he had the credentials, manning Commanders Palace for all those years is no small feat. I have also eaten at NOLA a couple times in New Orleans and the guy can cook.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There's also Cooking Channel, which still features almost exclusively cooking shows, some of which originated on Food Network, others that just feature Food Network stars.
Yep. The same company owns the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.

The Cooking Channel is like when MTV Networks created MTV 2 (and later, MTV Hits) to actually, you know, play music. The Cooking Channel is for people who liked the Food Network when it used to be about cooking.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Yep. The same company owns the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.

The Cooking Channel is like when MTV Networks created MTV 2 (and later, MTV Hits) to actually, you know, play music. The Cooking Channel is for people who liked the Food Network when it used to be about cooking.
Yes but some of the new hosts are terrible. That NJ girl who is like a caricature? She is terrible.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Yes but some of the new hosts are terrible. That NJ girl who is like a caricature? She is terrible.
Well, if you look at the guide data, that show ("Bitchin' Kitchen") is listed as "comedy," and is an expansion of some web comedy videos that the host posted online. The whole persona she does for that show is indeed an act for comedic effect.

The host, Nadia Giosia, is actually Canadian born of Italian immigrants.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Just like the demise of MTV and recently ESPN, Food Network is virtually unwatchable.

All they ever show is reality cooking shows, Cupcake wars, restaurant impossible and Chopped.

There is never any actual cooking anymore. I miss the days of Molto Mario, Rachel Ray and Emeril Lagasse actually in a kitchen cooking. Their alternate channel is not in HD so to me I can't look at it.

Thank God for PBS and their cooking shows!
Totally agree! I HATE "reality cooking" TV, especially. Because, since when would be given all of these exotic ingredients and be asked to make something with them?!?!? And, the judges aren't even cooks (most of the time!). None of the 'reality' shows are reality!!

I know they have a few shows on that actually show someone cooking but not many.

Give me Emeril, and the other cooks anytime. I, too, like Cook's Test Kitchen.

I like me some Jacques Pepin, Julia, Emeril and some of the newer cooks, too!

Last, I heard Guy's new restaurant got terrible reviews...
And, he's so full of himself on his show...I get tired of watching him eat and hearing his grunts and groans over, supposedly, how good the food is...blah...
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

All these niche channels have gone this way. My wife is a big fan of HGTV, but everytime she has it on, it's some real estate show, where they have some couple moving to a new city and they show them houses.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
sieglinde

Fierri is a local or was a local where I live (Sonoma County, CA) so the local paper published that review. It was wonderful in how horrible it was. Everyone around here says his restaurants and food trucks had really good food. Maybe it is just new restaurant problems.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Personally, I prefer the competition shows to the tired old cook in front of the camera format.

From the reviews it would seem that Fierri's new restaurant is little more than a Friday's on steroids positioned in Times Square to scrape away as much tourist dollars as possible. It might be fun to go to, but there's little chance of it being any good. I doubt Guy has ever cooked there, probably only showing up for the planning and promotional appearances. Personally, I avoid celebrity chef restaurants like the plague. I also avoid chains like Fridays, Chilis, Outback, ect. If I'm going to spend money going out to eat, its at a small local owned place. It may be great, maybe awful but rarely is it mind numbing enforced uniformity mediocre which is all the chains can provide.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
jamesl

Chopped
America's Text Kitchen
Cook's Country from America's Text Kitchen
Martha Stewart's Cooking School

are all awesome
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Personally, I avoid celebrity chef restaurants like the plague.
You are missing out. Some of the best restaurants in the United States are celebrity chef restaurants. French Laundry, Per Se, Scarpetta, Cut, Craftsteak are some examples of excellent celebrity chef restaurants.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman JS View Post
You are missing out. Some of the best restaurants in the United States are celebrity chef restaurants. French Laundry, Per Se, Scarpetta, Cut, Craftsteak are some examples of excellent celebrity chef restaurants.
I never meant to suggest that they were all "bad". Many (not all) "celebrity" restaurants have very little to do with the person in their title and more to do with the group that provides most or all of the money. They can be very good, but I'd rather pay directly into the hardworking people who are trying to live a dream. Not right or wrong, preference!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
The Food Network now is more about personalitites than cooking. I guess it's what get them the ratings that they want, but I find myself rarely tuned in anymore. When I was a fan, the Food Network was about cooking.

I watch the cooking channel quite a bit. Its what the Food Network used to be. I find it simply ridiculous that someone will completely ignore an entire channel simply because its not in HD. Even though I much prefer the visuals of HD, to me television is all about the content. And to tell you the truth, my television is so good at displaying SD programming, I hardly notice.
Cooking Channel has been HD for a couple of years now anyway.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've only been to two "celebrity" restaurants (Tre Wilcox's Abacus in Dallas and Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger in Massachusetts) and both were very good (dare I say excellent) but they weren't like, say, Fieri's joints that have very little hands on involvement from the celebrity. At the time, Tre was the chef du cuisine pretty much every night, and Tsai was in the kitchen multiple times per week (but not the night I was there).

But I digress. I, too, don't like the direction Food Network has taken, but I hadn't been watching for a long time anyway. Does anyone remember Two Hot Tamales? I used to love those gals, and they had some good recipes. I still use their banana bread recipe, it's awesome.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post

But I digress. I, too, don't like the direction Food Network has taken, but I hadn't been watching for a long time anyway. Does anyone remember Two Hot Tamales? I used to love those gals, and they had some good recipes. I still use their banana bread recipe, it's awesome.

Brad
Their restaurant in Vegas is very good too. Border Grill (at Mandalay Bay)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
mwhip
All better

Two Hot Tamales was just a rip off of Two Fat Ladies :P

I guess since I grew up on traditional cooking shows I like that format. Frugal Gourmet, Yan Can Cook and so on.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #30
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
Does anyone remember Two Hot Tamales? I used to love those gals, and they had some good recipes. I still use their banana bread recipe, it's awesome.
They show up on Best Thing I Ever Made semi-regularly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote