Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Next Iron Chef: Redemption (2012) whole season discussion *spoilers*

No discussion yet that I could find (apologies if there is another thread here, search didn't find one).

A bit disappointed that things went the way they did in last night's (Sunday, 11/25/2012) episode. More on that in a second as I try to be a little polite and keep the spoilers out of the first message in the thread.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK, here's a few other thoughts on this season.

I, my daughter, and wife 2.0 are all beyond ready to see Mehta go home. He got very lucky with his ingredient in the challenge in last night's show, though I give him credit for doing a great job for it. Overcooking his rice should have cost more and is another in a series of, albeit small, incidences that have shown he is not the technical master that he thinks he is. His inclusion in this season's cast seems to be one designed to fill the "we need a chef that everyone will hate" role again and he seems to excel at same.

I wish he'd have lost last week when it seemed he honestly deserved to.

My daughter is a huge Spike Mendelsohn fan and was sad to see him go, but happy because it means he should have more time to spend at his restaurants. I honestly think Mendelsohn and Marcel Vigneron both should have been sent home for thumbing their noses at the judges and trying the whole "bro" thing when it came to the final challenge. I appreciate that the two of them are friends, but the judges were right, Iron Chef is about competing against others. The Iron Chef may have friends helping on their team, but when it comes to competitions against other chefs, it is a competition. While it might be neat to see an Iron Chef team of Mendelsohn and Vigneron, it isn't a competition for teams, it is for individuals, sorry.

On that final judging last night, I thought that Spike Mendelsohn may have featured the ingredient better, but I give Vigneron credit for seemingly elevating the ingredient and offering a more impressive presentation.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I totally agree that Mehta should have gone home last week. I think it's horrible that he deliberately sabotaged someone else's dish then said something to the effect of "it's done, move on." He is not a nice person at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot4Bo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
GoHalos

I don't think there have been too many surprises so far this season. It will be interesting to see if one of the women can win it, as a woman hasn't won The Next Iron chef yet, and I don't think Cat Cora is on Iron Chef America anymore, is she?

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'm rooting for all three of the women over any of the men left.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
I don't think there have been too many surprises so far this season. It will be interesting to see if one of the women can win it, as a woman hasn't won The Next Iron chef yet, and I don't think Cat Cora is on Iron Chef America anymore, is she?

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'm rooting for all three of the women over any of the men left.
My daughter and I were talking about the show the other day and were both saying that it might not be that awful to have Alex G. (I'm not even going to attempt to spell her last name ) win.

In her previous attempts I'd have to admit that I was cheering for her to make a quick exit, though that isn't entirely true. In one prior season I was hoping she made it close enough to taste it, but then failed in the end (basically ripping her heart out). Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a cruel s.o.b.

I had previously been someone that wasn't that big a fan of Faulkner either. She seemed too pompous and arrogant, but I think that is a characteristic that most good chefs might have.

In the current season, I'm less hostile towards both of those two. Myself and my daughter both believe that we've seen Alex G. soften up quite a bit as a judge on Chopped since she's been a competitor on Iron Chef. I think that has helped make her much more sympathetic to me.

Faulkner still seems a bit arrogant, but I think she is a good chef.

Frietag seems the same as Alex G. She has softened up a good bit and made herself much more sympathetic.

Last edited by terpfan1980 : 11-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
justen_m

Maybe they are looking for a woman.

If they are looking for the best, well, the woman aren't it.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
secondclaw

I am betting on either Alex or Faulkner ... Amanda doesn't seem to have enough of a killer instinct (as evidenced by last show, with her 'advantage') though I like her demeanor.

The way they started this season, featuring Alex G, make it seem as FN really wants her to win.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
bryhamm
randomize

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I don't get the hate for Mehta. I liked him in his season and I like him now. I thought the burner thing (is that the sabotage of which you speak?) was just an accident. It happens a lot on top chef with the ovens and they were sharing the range.

The one guy that I've turned against is Appleman. He was one of my favorites until this season. He does not come off well this season at all. I'm actually rooting against him now.

I'm kind of surprised by the performances of Spike and Marcel. Spike has been consistently underwhelming in reality shows until now and Marcel has never seem as sophisticated and calm as he has in this show.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
sharkster

I think Faulkner is amazing and I am rooting for her.

I don't really have any dislike for any of the chefs, except I could never stand that pigtails woman. Sorry, I cannot remember her name but, to my delight, she was eliminated last week. I didn't like her during her season of NIC and I didn't like her this time around. Not sure why. She just gets on my last nerve.

This week I was bummed to see Spike get the ax. He has actually grown on me over the years and after he stopped wearing that stoopid porkpie hat (gawd I hated those things when he was in his season of TC!) . I like him now and enjoy watching him and the others on 'Life After Top Chef'.

The first guy to get the ax, Tim Love I believe it was - I was happy to see him go. He was a total jerkwad.

Never much liked Marcel, but he has somewhat grown on me over the years. I think Alex and Amanda are good but I don't see either of them as an IC either. I don't much like Appleman. Hoping to see him gone next.

I see Mehta and Faulkner in the end and *fingers crossed* Faulkner kicking his butt. I don't have anything against Mehta and like him ok, but I think Faulkner is just magnificent and I think last season she was beat by Zakarian by a very thin margin.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Oooh, another season? YAY!

But I'm guessing my SP didn't pick it up since the title isn't the same. GRRR. At least they replay the eps quite a bit. Off to search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

EEK! It looks like I missed a few eps. Off to find them...

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
dylking
I've never farded

I think I'm rooting for either Elizabeth or Alex. Alex (at least from on-air personality) seems to be a 'home-town girl', and Elizabeth is a 'kick-ass chef'.

Mehta just seems really cocky to me. (that's probably a masked word)
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
jradosh
Newlywed

Alex and Faulkner are my favs. Marcel can't go home soon enough to suit my wife and me.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
ADent

I was surprised by last nights elimination. I thought she was the best chef on the show. But if you go to the Chef's Challenge enough, you will make a mistake eventually.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
GoHalos

Dec 2nd Show

Dec 2nd Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
I was surprised by last nights elimination.
So was she. She looked genuinely surprised and devastated.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
Dec 2nd Show

She looked genuinely surprised and devastated.
So did a couple of the judges.

And there were a few shouts of denial on the couch here.

I could never be on a show like this (besides lacking the actual skill) - I couldn't handle the 'the blah blah was just a tad too yadda'.
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
bryhamm
randomize

Unlike last year when Anne tried to get Geoff (sp?) out and it backfired, I think Faulkner actually put the dude in the bottom because she thought he did badly.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
sharkster

I think I was as shocked as she. It's a sad day when she is eliminated, especially when it looked like the two guys should have been in the bottom and then, even after the judging of the mystery ingredient challenge, it looked like she was going to still make it through.

Now I don't even care who wins. I might not even watch the rest of the season. I hope Marcel wins. It would serve them right. HA! Faulkner was the best of the bunch. Appleman should be gone.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I don't get the hate for Mehta. I liked him in his season and I like him now. I thought the burner thing (is that the sabotage of which you speak?) was just an accident. It happens a lot on top chef with the ovens and they were sharing the range.
I believe it was deliberate sabotage. He even said later something to the effect of, "So I did it. Get over it."

He should have gone home right there.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
I believe it was deliberate sabotage. He even said later something to the effect of, "So I did it. Get over it."
I'm not a fan of his either, but I don't think that him saying that necessarily means that he was admitting that he purposefully did it -- it could have been him acknowledging that he mistakenly did it (realized it after the fact).
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ding dong, Mehta is, well, done.

His approach to the "fruit candy" (aka Skittles - the candy, not the forum member here) should have cost him anyway. As the judges seemed to notice, he treated that candy with disdain basically trying to turn it into anything but candy.

Regardless, I'm happy to see his arrogant self gone. While a little arrogance from a chef can be good thing, he seems to take it to a level that is just irritating.

I'm happy to see the final four balanced between the two remaining females and two males as well, though I think Alex G. really needs to move beyond "safe" and into "daring" with her food if she wants to win anything here. Her choice of going safe nearly cost her her in tonites episode, and it has nearly done that before. If she keeps that approach going for the remainder of the contest, she could find herself losing to either of the others that are still in the contest.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I'll miss his excruciating long winded dish descriptions...

Bacon and eggs = Eggs whipped lightly with the milk added before then fried gently adding the butter to the pan which is heavy and then the salt and fresh ground pepper just a touch. Smoke cured pork which is sauteed lightly with great care in a pan also heavy then placed on a rack to drip which is stainless steel.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
Big Deficit
Happy now?

BTW, would you want to be in a competition where one of your fellow contestants is close friends with and actually assists one of the 3 judges? Alex has been Jeffery's assistant on every IC challenge he's done.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am very glad Mehta is gone. Any of the rest to win would be fine with me.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
sharkster

Again, a surprise ending for me. While I no longer care who wins, as the best of the bunch left a week ago, I'm very curious to see how this plays out. I honestly don't think that any of the 4 left are IC material, although Marcel has proven himself to be much more talented than I ever thought he was.

I like Alex but I don't think she is nearly the best. I think I'd choose Amanda over Alex.

I don't have any Mehta hate. He is slightly annoying and arrogant, which I find unappealing, but I was hoping that Appelman would be gone instead.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Who are the 4 that are left? I caught a couple episodes yesterday, but I guess they were leading up to the current one.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Who are the 4 that are left? I caught a couple episodes yesterday, but I guess they were leading up to the current one.
Alex, Amanda, Marcel, and Appelman
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
PKurmas

I'm sure Chef Mehta is a fine chef, but my wife & I agree that he's straight from a Bond movie... or maybe Austin Powers. When he was saying "It is important that I become the Next Iron Chef" I expected him to add "or people will DIE."

Now he can go back to being the chef in the Virtucon corporate dining room.
PKurmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Alex, Amanda, Marcel, and Appelman
Awesome - thanks for answering. I realize I could have read back, but I figured I'd bump the thread.

I've been a fan of Marcel's since his first stint on Top Chef...it would be nice to see him finally win something.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote