TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
atomarchio

Using Streambaby w/o Tivo Service?

Would it be possible to purchase a Tivo and then only using Streambaby without activating Tivo Service?

I am looking for a streaming device with my HP LX195 Windows Home Server.

I've tried Roku and Western Digital products without any success. Or it there another product that I should try which may provide better results.

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No. A TiVo without service has no access to video over the network.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
atomarchio

Is there a media streaming product you would suggest for streaming MP4 videos from WHS?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
lrhorer

You could get a used S3 or S4 TiVo with Product Lifetime Service on ebay. Why did you not have success with the other products?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
You could get a used S3 or S4 TiVo with Product Lifetime Service on ebay. Why did you not have success with the other products?
Not sure. When I tried ROKU then screen would just go black and stall.

The WD product would play the videos but they were not watchable.

Was wondering if someone has had positive experience with a similar product that would work?

I don't want to buy another buy another Tivo just for this purpose.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
jcthorne

I have had very positive experience with the Western Digital media players. No problem at all playing HD mp4 files same as the tivo can play. One of the main reasons I went with the WDTV was its compatibility with the same files as Tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
atomarchio

Which model from Western Digital are you using? I would like to purchase the same unit also and give it a try.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
jcthorne

WDTV Live Plus.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
atomarchio

That was the one I bought a while ago. The screen would go blank and then when it started playing it was poor quality video.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
jcthorne

Sounds like issues with your media files, not the device.

Mine are all mp4 files coded and packaged to the specs for push to Tivo. h.264 level 4.1 or lower, ac3 5.1 or 2.0 audio at 640kbps or less, IMSA standard streamable mp4 container. 720p, 1080i or 1080p, no oddball resolutions.

Every one that plays on the Tivo plays fine on the WDTV. Actually the Tivo is FAR more pickey.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
rfryar
My Media, My Way

I also stream to my Rokus and they play with out issue. I use Plex Media Server for my Roku and Streambaby for the Tivos.

All my videos are H264 at 4.2 or lower and AC3 or Stereo AAC audio. No issues on the Roku.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I don't want to buy another buy another Tivo just for this purpose.
Why not? A used S3 is going to cost about the same as any media client, with the advantage of a unified UI across all the TiVos. That said, if it were me, I would just get the Roku working, since you already own it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Or his server.

Quote:
Every one that plays on the Tivo plays fine on the WDTV. Actually the Tivo is FAR more pickey.
Yeah, that's true, at least natively.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
tomm1079

install plex media server and stream it to the roku
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
atomarchio

Quote:

Mine are all mp4 files coded and packaged to the specs for push to Tivo. h.264 level 4.1 or lower, ac3 5.1 or 2.0 audio at 640kbps or less, IMSA standard streamable mp4 container. 720p, 1080i or 1080p, no oddball resolutions.

I know they are MP4 files mainly converted by the standard handbrakes. Wouldn't that be enough to work or do I need to change other settings in my MP4 files?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:
I know they are MP4 files mainly converted by the standard handbrakes. Wouldn't that be enough to work or do I need to change other settings in my MP4 files?
Mp4 is a container, not a format. Re read my prior post above for the audio and video tracks that must be in the container and the restrictions on the the container itself. I already answered your question.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
atomarchio

Quote:
Mp4 is a container, not a format. Re read my prior post above for the audio and video tracks that must be in the container and the restrictions on the the container itself. I already answered your question.
I read the post again. The question I am trying to ask is how do I tell if my media meets these specifications.

Then how would I go about changing my media to meet these specs?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
install plex media server and stream it to the roku
This worked awesome! Thank you!

My issue was related to wired/wireless not the media. It did not work well wireless but when I plugged into wired port it was amazing!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
jcthorne

Quote:
I read the post again. The question I am trying to ask is how do I tell if my media meets these specifications.

Then how would I go about changing my media to meet these specs?
get a utility called mediainfo.

How to change your media files is a much larger topic. I use a program suite called meGUI for most of my video manipulations.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
atomarchio

Quote:
get a utility called mediainfo.

How to change your media files is a much larger topic. I use a program suite called meGUI for most of my video manipulations.
My issue was not the media but my wireless connection. Once I moved the device to another room with a wired wired network connection it was perfect.

I am going to look into an Ethernet over Coax product to resolve the issue I am having.

Thank you for your input.