TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox Phoenix new Plus Package HD Channels

The following new Plus Package HD channels have shown up in my Tivo channel listings.

The Plus Package HD channels are typically bundled with the Trio Whole Home DVR equipment, in most markets, and are broadcast above the 860MHz threshold of the legacy Scientific Atlanta equipment.

CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels
"The TiVo Premiere (including XL and Elite), the Ceton InfiniTV, and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime can tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4, which makes them compatible with the Plus Pak channels."

"As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us."

HD service also required

1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
1133 - DIY HD - (Variety Pak also required)
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)

Corresponding Premium subscriptions also required
1202 - HBO Signature HD
1203 - HBO Family HD
1204 - HBO Comedy HD
1205 - HBO Zone HD
1210 - HBO East HD
1211 - HBO2 East HD
1212 - HBO Latino

1222 - Action MAX HD
1223 - Thriller MAX HD
1225 - Cinamax East HD
1226 - More Max East HD
1230 - 5StarMAX HD

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD
1243 - Showtime Extreme HD
1251 - TMC Xtra HD

1263 - Starz East HD
1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD
1265 - Starz Cinema HD
1266 - Starz Comedy HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-08-2012 at 07:21 AM.
CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
nekkibasara1213

These have appeared in my guide in Northern VA on COX cable as well. My Tivo has all of the channels listed and complete guide information for them, but I cannot tune to any of them. I hope they decide to allow us to view these channels on the Tivo given that we are paying for the packages that include the channels.
nekkibasara1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
khill821
Cool Guy! Really...

We've had these in San Diego for a while and it's not good news. I haven't been able to tune them with a Premiere or THD even with a tuning adapter. When I called into Cox support I was told that these channels are only available with the Advanced TV Plus package that includes the Whole Home DVR.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Have you filed a complaint with the FCC?

I Urge all Cox CableCARD customers to file a complaint with the FCC, and tell them Cox is requiring the lease of equipment to receive these "linear channels" and denying you access on a capable CableCARD UDCP receiver (TiVo Premiere). Cox may not budge on this issue until the FCC gets involved.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
or
http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

FCC CableCARD Rules:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
"Receive all “linear” channels (channels other than “on-demand”) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called “switched digital video,” you may need a second device called a “tuning adapter.” This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operator’s Video on Demand services. "

FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORY:
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-11-1373A1.pdf
"Ensure access to all linear channels. Consumers have identified problems accessing switched digital channels on their retail CableCARD-compatible devices.9 Cable operators must ensure that subscribers can use their retail devices to access all of the linear channels that comprise the cable package to which they subscribe.10 Operators also must ensure that retail devices can tune at least four simultaneous channels, or as many switched digital channels as that operator’s most sophisticated operator-supplied set-top box, whichever is greater. See 47 C.F.R. §
76.1205(b)(4)."

"The term “linear programming” is generally understood to refer to video programming that is prescheduled by the programming provider, i.e., channels other than on-demand programming. Linear programming includes premium channels and channels delivered by switched digital technology"

Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
LynnL999

FWIW, I live in Orange County. I am not being billed for the "plus pack" but my bill is confusing because I have a price guarantee contract for certain things, so my services don't map exactly to the current offerings you see on the price list.

I do get the five regular digital channels in the plus pack, but not any of the premiums, even though I subscribe to HBO, Starz and Sho. According to Cox CS I shouldn't even be getting the five channels that I do get as those are supposed to be available only to those with the whole home DVR.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I know Cox Arizona is still in the testing phase for these channels, but overnight Cox removed CableCARD access to the one Plus Package channel I was receiving.

The following channel now displays "This channel is not Authorized"
1133 - DIY HD - Live but not tunable @ 885MHz (Variety Pak also required)

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
zowwie85

They are now authorizing them but...

There's some TiVo specific bug with the authorization or channel configuration. I have three cablecards. Two of 'em are in TiVos and the other is in a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. I can watch the new channels just fine - on my computer. The TiVos display the channels as 'not authorized.'
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
LarryInAz
TiVo-holic since '99

Cool

Zowwie - I have the EXACT same issue as you described. I have a TiVo Premier and a TiVo HD both using cablecards with Tuning adapters. Several channels do not come in such as BBCA, IFC, MLB network, etc They give the error messages of not authorized, call your local cable provider, etc.

At the beginning of the '11 NFL season I subscribed to RedZone and was able to watch it two weekends out of the first 6 weeks. I complained to both Cox and TiVo and after much troubleshooting still no RZ. I swapped out cable cards and TA's a couple of times also to no avail. I finally gave up and cancelled the RedZone and requested a full refund after all the agravation.

In the last month though I purchased a HD HomeRun Prime and receive ALL the channels I pay for. Hopefully next season I'll be able to get RedZone.

As well as the HD HomeRun Prime works its given me serious consideration to selling off both my TiVo's and replacing them with 2 HTPC's. No monthly TiVo guide fee, no muss no fuss. I'd really hate to do this, I've been a loyal TiVo user since almost day one.
LarryInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInAz View Post
In the last month though I purchased a HD HomeRun Prime and receive ALL the channels I pay for. Hopefully next season I'll be able to get RedZone.

As well as the HD HomeRun Prime works its given me serious consideration to selling off both my TiVo's and replacing them with 2 HTPC's. No monthly TiVo guide fee, no muss no fuss. I'd really hate to do this, I've been a loyal TiVo user since almost day one.
Yeah, it really frosts me that I spent the money on a TiVo Premiere with lifetime service and it doesn't work 100% with the cablecard. All that I have to do is buy an xbox to extend my media center install to another TV and I'll be done with TiVo.

If TiVo Premiere worked 100% with cablecard I'd never have purchased the other device. But it "proved" that the authorization issues are not a Cox problem, it's a TiVo issue they won't own up to. Had TiVo not just come out with a software upgrade for the Premieres, those things would be on eBay already.

Oh, and TiVo's answer so far is: "You are the ONLY customer having this problem, you should continue to try to swap cablecards and tuning adapters - and [this is great, shows the depth of knowledge they have] SEE IF THEY HAVE A MOTOROLA card and tuning adapter you can try."

Last edited by zowwie85 : 02-04-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: 50 minutes of my life lost to talking with TiVo to get the "try Motorola" suggestion
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Cactus Bill

I'm in Phoenix with the same problems. My answer from Tivo by e-mail was equally unhelpful:

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to answer your question. Cox has acknowledged that the issue is on their end with their equipment and is currently working towards a resolution. TiVo is assisting in any way possible, however the resolution will have to come from Cox. Some customers have reported that the issue was resolved with the addition of an adapter that was provided by Cox."
Cactus Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
zowwie85

I pm'd the reference number for the call that ultimately resulted in the try-a-motorola-device suggestion to Margret from TiVo. Unless there's some immediate interest in solving this problem that we're clearly all having I will be a FORMER TiVo customer.

I bought into the 'this is Cox's problem' concept until I tried another cablecard device.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
mauwaerter

I may be sorry, but I've been working on this issue for the past week or so. Cox has a page on their web site - << this forum will not allow me to post the url >> - that implies that with a Tuning Adapter Update Kit and a software update from TiVo, the Plus pack channels should work. I finally ran into someone at Cox willing to help me (once I found that web page), and she sent me to the Cox store for the upgrade kit. Of course, they never heard of such a thing. But eventually learned they should be coming to the stores in the next couple weeks. I also talked to TiVo support about Cox's note that a TiVo software update (scheduled for 5/15/2012) is required. They were unwilling/unable to find anything out about this supposed update.

Does anyone know if TiVo 20.2 software level would support MPEG-4 and the 1GHz tuning issues that I'm guessing are involved in getting TiVo to work for these channels?
mauwaerter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
ajwees41

sounds like the channels are mpeg 4 and tivo's can't access mpeg 4 signals yet until an software update.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

New Cox Support Article

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizo...-000000000000}
Quote:

Last Updated: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 > Related Articles

The TiVo Premiere (including XL and Elite), the Ceton InfiniTV, and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime can tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4, which makes them compatible with the Plus Pak channels.
Solution

As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us.
This new Tuning Adapter Install sheet showing the use of a POE Filter is a bit strange however. The only use of a POE filter I can see is if you were using MoCA.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauwaerter View Post
I may be sorry, but I've been working on this issue for the past week or so. Cox has a page on their web site - << this forum will not allow me to post the url >> - that implies that with a Tuning Adapter Update Kit and a software update from TiVo, the Plus pack channels should work. I finally ran into someone at Cox willing to help me (once I found that web page), and she sent me to the Cox store for the upgrade kit. Of course, they never heard of such a thing. But eventually learned they should be coming to the stores in the next couple weeks. I also talked to TiVo support about Cox's note that a TiVo software update (scheduled for 5/15/2012) is required. They were unwilling/unable to find anything out about this supposed update.

Does anyone know if TiVo 20.2 software level would support MPEG-4 and the 1GHz tuning issues that I'm guessing are involved in getting TiVo to work for these channels?

Answer: No, TiVo SW Vers. 20.2 does not support Cox Plus Package channels
Here is that link to the Support Article you could not post, Though I question the "Tuning Adapter UPDATE Kit" as it is probably the splitter and MoCA POE Filter, which should not be required, I don't believe, perhaps if using the MoCA on an Elite/XL4???? I have not seen a posting by anyone with a Ceton or SiliconDust needing the POE filter.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizo...-000000000000}
Quote:
Ability to tune to HD Plus Pak Channels requires:

1. Subscription to its Premium Channel, such as HBO, Showtime, etc.

2. Cox Tuning Adapter in some markets. Also, if the Tuning Adapter was installed prior to May 2012, then the free Cox Tuning Adapter UPDATE Kit is required

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-02-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
mauwaerter

I had asked TiVo support if my TiVo Primere supported MPEG-4 and could tune to 1GHz, and they of course told me yes. I still don't have the tuning adapter upgrade - without which I doubt Cox will want to talk to me again - or for that matter TiVo support - but I'd like to know if I'm unable to get the Plus Pack channels still, what is it that I would be looking for from a TiVo software upgrade? MPEG-4 support? Tuning to 1GHz? Something else?

Thanks.

Long time TiVo user - Series 1,2,3,HD,Primere - all with upgraded hard drives. Love my TiVo - as long as it gets the channels I want
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
mauwaerter

Picked up my Tuning Adapter Update Kit today from the Cox store. It is indeed a POE filter (not that I know what that is). Anyway, it, of course, was no help.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Picked up my Tuning Adapter Update Kit today from the Cox store. It is indeed a POE filter (not that I know what that is). Anyway, it, of course, was no help.
I will bet that the POE MoCA filter is not needed. What it does is block RF signals over 1GHz where MoCA is being used. If MoCA is not being used, I cannot see it's purpose. A MoCA POE filter is generally placed at the entry point into the home, to reflect the MoCA high frequencies back into the home and prevent them from entering the cable plant. I have seen where sometimes a POE filter is needed on the cable modem, but only if the MoCA frequencies are effecting the performance of the modem. I do not know if MoCA frequencies will effect the Tuning Adapter or not.
http://www.eaglecomtronics.com/pdfs/...0Filter%20.pdf

Too much info I know.

You are going to just have to wait until the upcoming TiVo software update, hopefully in the next few weeks, to see if the problem is resolved. Once it is resolved you will definitely see it posted here.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

MoCA POE Filter only needed for MoCA set-ups

The NEW Tuning Adapter Install Sheet showing the usage of a POE MoCA Filter only applies IF you are using a MoCA network in your home. The POE Filter and splitter have absolutely nothing to do with the Plus Package channels. MoCA signals above 1GHz cannot pass through the Tuning Adapter, hence the splitter and bypass. This may only apply to the Elite/XL4 with built-in MoCA. Regular MoCA adapters may work correctly if placed before the Tuning Adapter.

So if you do not use MoCA then follow the former Cox Tuning Adapter Install Sheet posted I have attached here:
Tuning Adapter Install Sheet w/o MoCA Network

The answer and explanation was provided by an Engineer in San Diego.
http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/t...d=2893#pid2893

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
moyekj

I've been using MoCA for years in conjunctions with TAs without a POE filter without issue. My MoCA signals are >1GHz range. I don't chain the MoCA adapter after the TA but rather have a split with 1 side going MoCA and the other to TA and then TiVo. So while POE may be recommended it may not be absolutely necessary.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels Fixed w/ 20.2.1.1

RE: The "Spring Update" SW Vers. 20.2.1.1-01-2

I am VERY happy to confirm the issue with the Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed with the latest SW release.

Note: You still need to call Cox @ 877-820-8202 to have the Plus Pak channels added to your account. ask for HBO+, SHO+, Starz+, and/or Cinemax+

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
mauwaerter

Is that anything like 20.2-01-2-746?

I was also told that the update coming out would have nothing to do with MPEG-4 channels, but why would TiVo support tell me anything right?

So was I wasting my time signing up to be a beta tester?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
mauwaerter

Oh, and sorry - what's MoCA? I'm guessing it's not Movies over Cable.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #24
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Is that anything like 20.2-01-2-746?

I was also told that the update coming out would have nothing to do with MPEG-4 channels, but why would TiVo support tell me anything right?

So was I wasting my time signing up to be a beta tester?
The version downloaded today as reported in my System Information is 20.2.1.1-01-2-746

Quote:
Oh, and sorry - what's MoCA? I'm guessing it's not Movies over Cable.
MoCA = Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA®) basically Ethernet over Coax.
http://www.mocalliance.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime..._Coax_Alliance

Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #25
Cactus Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

I am VERY happy to confirm the issue with the Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed with the latest SW release.

Note: You still need to call Cox @ 877-820-8202 to have the Plus Pak channels added to your account. ask for HBO+, SHO+, Starz+, and/or Cinemax+
I got my update tonight and the channels added automatically. No phone call required for me. Really glad this issue has been fixed.
Cactus Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
jshore

Another Cox Phoenix customer here. Got my update last night, as well, and all the additional channels automagically started working. Nice!

Now i just have to get to the bottom of why my Netflix isn't working now on any of my three Tivos... ugh...
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #27
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

does DIYHD work also? someone in Omaha says it's not working via tivo and it's te only channel.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #28
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes DIYHD is working, all of the channels in the first posting are working.

Well, I don't subscribe to Cinamax, but I do have all the others.

Unfortunately they will not display on my PC w/ WMC & SD HomeRun Prime due to an Intel Driver issue w/ the i3/5 Core integrated HD Graphics
http://communities.intel.com/thread/29396

They do work nicely on my Laptop though.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-12-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
mauwaerter

Smile

I got my update Thursday night, and all my movie channels (HBO, SHO, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel) as well as DIYHD and FOODHD (and 1101) all work just fine. I had worked with Cox earlier, and had the channels enabled already.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #30
ajwees41

doesn't help Omaha we are still mpeg2 for the plus pack and no DIYHD.