TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
JACKASTOR

Divx Certification

I was wondering if the Premiere will ever get Divx support... specifically playability?

Any one with more information would love to hear.

Regards

Jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_jacob View Post
JACKASTOR,

At this time I am not aware of any plans to formally support DivX, though this could always change as time goes forward.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
No need to apologize, Divx has some amazing features and the quality behind some Divx conversion and size makes it worth while to pursue.
OF course that all depends on the demands of the Tivo Users I would imagine. But the flexibility it would be bring Tivo Would surely help boost sales.

regards

Jack
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_jacob View Post
JACKASTOR,

You can submit a feature request to our software engineers. The more the feature is requested, the more likely the feature will be added.
dOnE!

Come on guys lets get Divx support on our TiVos
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

1. Divx is crap.
2. You can play Divx files through your TiVo if you convert them to a TiVo-playable format first. pyTivo will do the conversion automatically as it transfers. I imagine TiVo Desktop Plus will also do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
1. Divx is crap.
2. You can play Divx files through your TiVo if you convert them to a TiVo-playable format first. pyTivo will do the conversion automatically as it transfers. I imagine TiVo Desktop Plus will also do it.
ACtually your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong you are. Using substandard programs such as pyTivo are the crap programs. But thats my opinion.
Thanks for your suggestion even though its flawed.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
1. Divx is crap.
I agree Divx is crap also
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I thought Divx was dead (no offense).

What advantage does it have over another format like H.264?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

Oh, it needs to be said- pytivo rocks. I have never seen anyone diss it before.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKASTOR View Post
ACtually your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong you are. Using substandard programs such as pyTivo are the crap programs. But thats my opinion.
Thanks for your suggestion even though its flawed.
Divx is inferior to more modern codecs(such as h.264), with regard to the average file-size-to-image-quality ratio of conversions. It does have the advantage of being less-resource intensive to encode and decode than other, more advanced, codecs. It was popular for file-trading but its popularity is waning fast, in large part because many newer devices have the power (or dedicated hardware) to decode h.264 without using much cpu time and/or battery life.

If you have a large library of existing content in divx format, the suggestion to use pytivo (or even TiVo Desktop) is a good one. You'll be able to view the content on the TiVo, as you desire, and the original files will remain untouched. If you feel the software is substandard, please suggest (or make) improvements, as it is a community-driven project and people improve or modify it as they see fit. If you're having trouble getting started with it, please ask for help in the Home Media Features forum, and you'll find lots of people willing to help you get it fixed.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

Pytivo is great (I use it all the time), if you can get over the hurdles of installing "this" version of "this", "that" version of "that", but definitely not "those" versions, as well as parsing through some partially outdated, semi-complicated instructions, and manually modifying setup files... all making it a bit of a tangled barrier of entry. But if you manage to get it running, it's good stuff.

If a single unified installer updated periodically could be made to remove the "this, that and those" and manual steps, that would be a gallon of awesomesauce.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote