TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
JeffreyF

.TiVo files in Windows 8

I just started to use Windows 8 and have installed TiVo desktop. In Windows 7 I had no issues to play the .TiVo files in the Windows Media Player. In Windows 8 when I double click on a .TiVo file it does open Windows Media Player, however, there is no video or audio.

I have tried the partial install of TiVo desktop and the full install with no difference.

Any suggestions on how to play native. TiVo files in Windows Media Player in Windows 8 would be appreciated.

Jeffrey
JeffreyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
moyekj

I think I saw mentioned somewhere that Windows 8 doesn't come with mpeg2 codecs, so 1st thing you should do is make sure you have mpeg2 codecs and can play unencrypted mpeg2 videos.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
JeffreyF

Thanks for the insight. Is there a particular mpeg2 codec you recommend?

Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think I saw mentioned somewhere that Windows 8 doesn't come with mpeg2 codecs, so 1st thing you should do is make sure you have mpeg2 codecs and can play unencrypted mpeg2 videos.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyF View Post
Thanks for the insight. Is there a particular mpeg2 codec you recommend?

Jeffrey
You can try K-Lite Codec Pack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
JeffreyF

Thank you for the suggestion. This is all new to me and I appreciate the help. I have installed the Codec using hte 64-bit version http://codecguide.com/klcp_64bit.htm and am still not able to see the .tivo files. Is there something I have to do so that WMP knows that the codecs exist?

Quote:
You can try K-Lite Codec Pack

Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. This is all new to me and I appreciate the help. I have installed the Codec using hte 64-bit version http://codecguide.com/klcp_64bit.htm and am still not able to see the .tivo files. Is there something I have to do so that WMP knows that the codecs exist?
First test that you can play unencrypted mpeg2 files with WMP. If that works then I would suggest uninstalling and then re-installing TiVo Desktop and it may add the filters in the proper locations to be able to play .TiVo files. If that still doesn't work then you can use kmttg or tivodecode to decrypt .TiVo files so that they will play with any mpeg2 player such as VLC.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
JeffreyF

Your suggestion of uininstalling TiVo Desktop and reinstalling worked as I can now both play and hear the .tivo files. As you suggested, it appears as though the codec needed to be installed first followed by the TiVo Desktop. Many thanks.

Quote:
First test that you can play unencrypted mpeg2 files with WMP. If that works then I would suggest uninstalling and then re-installing TiVo Desktop and it may add the filters in the proper locations to be able to play .TiVo files. If that still doesn't work then you can use kmttg or tivodecode to decrypt .TiVo files so that they will play with any mpeg2 player such as VLC.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

There seems to be an issue when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8. It seems to mess up the encryption TiVo uses to store your MAK in the registry. Everyone I've talked to so far that's done the upgrade has to uninstall/reinstall TiVo Desktop to get .tivo files to play again.

As for the codecs... For a limited time users of Windows 8 Pro can get a free copy of Media Center which includes all the codecs you need to play .tivo files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
tabreslin

Smile A solution that worked for me.

Quote:
I just started to use Windows 8 and have installed TiVo desktop. In Windows 7 I had no issues to play the .TiVo files in the Windows Media Player. In Windows 8 when I double click on a .TiVo file it does open Windows Media Player, however, there is no video or audio.

I have tried the partial install of TiVo desktop and the full install with no difference.

Any suggestions on how to play native. TiVo files in Windows Media Player in Windows 8 would be appreciated.

Jeffrey
I found a solution to this that works for me. I could hear audio but not video and learned about the new WMP12 not having codecs and so on, so I approached it from that angle. I downloaded a driver pack from CNET Download at the address below and it solved my problem. Simply download and follow the onscreen instructions.

download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html?refresh=1357087846545

I hope it helps some of you as well.
tabreslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
tfratzke
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabreslin View Post
I found a solution to this that works for me. I could hear audio but not video and learned about the new WMP12 not having codecs and so on, so I approached it from that angle. I downloaded a driver pack from CNET Download at the address below and it solved my problem. Simply download and follow the onscreen instructions.

download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html?refresh=1357087846545

Plus 1 on this solution to getting files to play on Win 8! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI: We've got some reports on our forum saying that the codecs included with Windows 8 MCE cause an A/V sync issue when playing certain MPEG-2 files in Windows Media Player. So you might want to consider an alternative codec pack instead.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabreslin View Post

worked, thank you!
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote