TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
robojerk

Doctor Who Classic Watching

I have obtained the Doctor Who classic episodes. If anyone is interested I was thinking of posting about the older series as I watch them? I've only seen the two versions of the pilot episode and the second episode so far. I will probably not go through the episodes that fast, but I think it will still be interesting.

EDIT: I won't do a synopsis of every episode, but just post things I find interesting.....

Last edited by robojerk : 11-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

Two versions of An Unearthly Child? I hadn't heard that before.

How encompassing is this collection?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
TonyD79

Yes. What exactly did you get? Where?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
programmingexper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I have obtained the Doctor Who classic episodes. If anyone is interested I was thinking of posting about the older series as I watch them? I've only seen the two versions of the pilot episode and the second episode so far. I will probably not go through the episodes that fast, but I think it will still be interesting.
Never heard that before.. But if you think the episodes are really interesting then i guess you must share it.
programmingexper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
robojerk

An Unearthly Child
Epsiode 1 Unaired
Barbara (History teacher) and Ian (Science teacher) are teachers at Coal Hill School in Shoreditch, London, and are discussing about a pupil named Susan Foreman. Susan seems to know far more about history, and science than someone her age should know. However sometimes she says very odd things, the recounts that she's mistaken and they haven't happened yet. They seem a little worried about her because lately her school work has dropped in quality. Barabara mentions she tried to visit the girl's home, to speak to her grandfather, some kind of doctor. But when she went to the address, 76 Totter's Lane, all she found was just a junk yard.

The two decide to go to the junkyard and wait in the car just outside. They see Susan enter the yard but when they follow she seems to have disappeared. They look for her and find a police box. The police seems to feel alive with some buzz.

An old man enters the junkyard and the two take cover and watch as the old man approaches the police box. Susan's voice comes out of the box as he is just about to enter it, "Is that you grandfather?" Ian jumps out and the old man steps back from the police box, and says that Ian must be imagining things. The doctor and Ian argue and are rude to each other about whether Susan is inside the box. Ian says he'll leave and return with the police, the old man says go ahead, he'll have a laugh when they return.

Susan opens the door and the teachers rush inside. They sees that the box is much larger on the inside. The doctor's demeanor turn cruel as the discussion continues. Susan says that they're on the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space), and that it can move through time and space. Barbara and Ian try to convince the girl that this idea of time, and space travel is just a game. The Doctor acts even more coldly and gives Ian a shock when he touches the control panel. The doctor then pushes some buttons, Susan pleads with her grandfather to stop and to let the teachers go. He says he can't. The sound of the TARDIS moving through time and space starts, Barbara passes out.

The last scene is a barren wasteland with a view of the TARDIS. A shadow appears...

Episode 1 (Aired)
Almost identical to the un-aired version. The doctor seemed a lot less cruel and scary in this version. He smiled through out the arguments with Ian, like the argument was more of a game to him than anything serious. He still wouldn't them leave the TARDIS, but and activating the TARDIS seemed like less of a scary event, but more to show Ian and Barb what the TARDIS really is. The last scene with the shadow was the same.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
robojerk

Episode 2
What I found the most interesting about this episode was that Susan and the doctor were both very confused as to why the TARDIS was still a blue police box. They claimed that it changes, and has even been an ionic column and a sedan seat in the past. The doctor, puzzled, wonder what has happened.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Two versions of An Unearthly Child? I hadn't heard that before.

How encompassing is this collection?
The person sharing it claimed to be the most complete out there. Even some episodes thought to have been lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Yes. What exactly did you get? Where?
The most popular site. The download was 1090 files and is 285GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmingexper View Post
Never heard that before.. But if you think the episodes are really interesting then i guess you must share it.
Okay..
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Episode 2
What I found the most interesting about this episode was that Susan and the doctor were both very confused as to why the TARDIS was still a blue police box. They claimed that it changes, and has even been an ionic column and a sedan seat in the past. The doctor, puzzled, wonder what has happened.
Was that the cavemen episode? I didn't like that one both times I watched it.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
robojerk

Quote:
Was that the cavemen episode? I didn't like that one both times I watched it.
Yes, the first four episodes appear to be an arc, the last 3 being the cavemen.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
lambertman
Not single!

I watched the unaired Unearthly Child first of the two with a friend, and the Mean!Doctor completely put her off watching any of the old series. Hasty, I know, but whatcha gonna do.

I'm glad they made the decision to make him nicer; he was aying some pretty awful things to Susan (and at this time, I didn't realize how much she might deserve it ). Note that in the unaired version, Susan gives the specific century the Doctor and she are from; that was wisely changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
The most popular site.
What's the share file called?
Doctor Who Classic?

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
I watched the unaired Unearthly Child first of the two with a friend, and the Mean!Doctor completely put her off watching any of the old series. Hasty, I know, but whatcha gonna do.
I've never seen more than a handful of the original Doctor's episodes but he was pretty mean and petty in the ones I saw. He flubs his lines a lot too.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
I've never seen more than a handful of the original Doctor's episodes but he was pretty mean and petty in the ones I saw. He flubs his lines a lot too.
Well, he improves on the first count, anyway

I'm through Season 13 (with some scattered viewing of later eps), for the record. I've only watched the 1st and 2nd stories of which half of the episodes are available; I'll probably go back and pick the rest of them up in a few years when I'm done.

Thus far, Two still beats Four as my favorite classic Doctor, but there's still time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you

Last edited by lambertman : 11-24-2012 at 10:18 AM.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote